Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Saving Michigan Central station

Michigan Central Station needs to be torn down ,Sure its a beautiful old building I was there on its last day .Since then its deteriorated badly. The Fire Department has reported over 200 hundred fires in there .Its been stripped beyond repair, They have sub basements full of water and crackers [[from civil defense years) and the rats are huge.Many Marone doesn't put a penny in it, and he has no one to buy it. Its an eye sore .tear it down and make Marone pay for it.

Bobby, have been in recently?

Rats? What is their food source?

CFABDETROIT Guest

I think it's the most beautiful building in Detroit and the history of it alone constitutes a rehab

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CFABDETROIT View Post
    I think it's the most beautiful building in Detroit and the history of it alone constitutes a rehab

What history? Really, what history? That it was never finished?

Nothing against saving the station, but what kind of argument is that?

The mayor must confront Moroun directly, find a substantive redevelopment plan in 90 days, or it comes down! Period!
    there must be an aggressive effort to demolish any and all vacant structures throughout the city--- i'm sick of all the blight that I see throughout the week-- this is devastating to the morale of a community to see decayed warehouses & factories right across the street.. the city must start levying fines against all absentee property owners who do not maintain these structures, have them demolished [[at their own expense) or sell them to someone with a real redevelopment plan.. There can be vast tracts of land reconsolidated for various uses- Reforesting, for one-- having a lot more greenspace in Detroit is desirable.. also for urban farming projects, large and smaller scale.. I want action now! not 5-10 years from now!

I feel that fines should be levied against owners of derelict structures who have not at least properly maintained their properties and they just let them sit and be eyesores; I'm weary of driving around downtown and major thoroughfares like grand river, gratiot, livernois, woodward, and seeing just totally abandoned storefronts, especially downtown, abandoned theaters, factories [[stroh's, GM), etc. even aside from the aesthetic negative, these places are prime spots for ne'er do wells to set up shop, criminal activity, maniacs who kidnap kids often take them to an abandoned home or building..

the owner of the old train station michigan central depot should be especially ashamed... all these buildings really need to be detonated and be done with it.. Detroit needs a mass purging of these dinosaur structures.. nostalgia only carries so far..

as far as open space goes & urban farming, I'm for it, as long as indigenous ownership is the priority; large tracts of land can actually be returned to nature entirely, I wouldn't mind the city having more [[clean and safe) public parks and forest preserves..

the schools, especially middle schools & high schools, should start placing an emphasis on earth sciences [[agriculture/soil science, botany, forestry, biology, evnrionmental science, etc.), also partner with colleges, have dedicated plots of land for the students to work on, during spring and summer, for credit [[college students can also teach high school/elementary youth).. Recruit experts in these fields to implement the projects..

I think that one reason that urban-minority students don't look as Seriously at diverse science fields is because they haven’t been exposed to any hands-on experience or it’s only a fleeting-one-time thing [[like a field trip); having a sustained ongoing curriculum dealing with hands-on sciences, this will help better educational standards for the city’s youth;

Also, if one is of a mind to look at this through the lens of the African-American experience in particular, farming based disciplines/skills have generationally atrophied in the decades since blacks and other minorities started coming northern, urban areas en masse; it would be great if these skills could be taught to new generations..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; April-27-09 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    What history? Really, what history? That it was never finished?

Nothing against saving the station, but what kind of argument is that?
    The story that the station was never finished is an urban myth [[per some of the folks who used to work in the upper floors). Granted some of the upper floors were used for storage, but so what? It would make it easier to clean out.

The history of MCS is as has been described... our version of Ellis Island. Hundreds of thousands of folks first came to work and live in Michigan via the MCS. That was their first sight of Detroit.

During WWI, WWII and the Korean War many tens of thousands of Detroiters left Detroit from the MCS to go off to war... only the lucky ones returned via the same station. So for many it was the last placed that they ever saw their loved ones.

No history indeed...

MCS Renovation: I have been to the Kansas City Union Station and a similar concept could work in Detroit. If the ingredients to success are location, location, location, the current MCS site has a great deal going for it. Better yet, it could be symbol of rebirth rather than another example of wasted potential. The MCS could be redeveloped into a multi-purpose tourist destination combined with the regional hub of a Midwest High Speed Rail network. This vision is worth pursuing. Certaining there should be no rush to tear the building down. The station has been left to deteriote for years and is still standing.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The story that the station was never finished is an urban myth [[per some of the folks who used to work in the upper floors). Granted some of the upper floors were used for storage, but so what? It would make it easier to clean out.
    So you are saying that the all the floors in the building as hotel were finished? I hope that the upper floors of the Book Cadillac are more "finished".

The history of MCS is as has been described... our version of Ellis Island.
    Hyperbole, no?

During WWI, WWII and the Korean War many tens of thousands of Detroiters left Detroit from the MCS to go off to war... only the lucky ones returned via the same station. So for many it was the last placed that they ever saw their loved ones.
    That very same story was played out across the country. Should every train station in America be preserved as it was during the World Wars? How about the bus stops for kids whose towns didn't have train service? And, why do you hate Vietnam and Iraq Vets? Don't they deserve to have all the airports in the country preserved as they were when they used them? No love for the Civil War vets either? Didn't Michigan have folks in the GAR?

Maybe they could incorporate it into a new hockey arena, but you probably wouldn't have time to see it then, too bad.

The history of MCS is as has been described... our version of Ellis Island. Hundreds of thousands of folks first came to work and live in Michigan via the MCS. That was their first sight of Detroit.

No history indeed...
    The top floor and a few others were emptied of documents while I still was working there, they used building construction debris chutes from windows to the ground level outside. They also sold off most of the office furniture and machines. My late father got to keep his ancient 10 key adding machine when he retired..LOL!! I wanted to buy an oak desk and chair, [[ALL of the desks and chairs were wooden, as well as the toilet seats in the restrooms) but could not afford to spend the money after they laid me off. I still have two metal four drawer file cabinets that one of my old bosses saved for me, before he was transferred to Conrail's HQ in Philadelphia.
    Last edited by Flanders; April-28-09 at 01:09 PM.

I like the idea of using the building as a memorial park. I suggest having plaques for the niches etched in plastic so the scrappers won't be so interested.

If I had my ashes sent there by train, I could easily be late to my own funeral!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    I suggest having plaques for the niches etched in plastic so the scrappers won't be so interested.
    Or, how about this: just shoot the scrappers. If they get shot at a lot, there will eventually be fewer of them, because of attrition and increasing disinterest in that line of work.

I just received this email and wanted to pass it along to anyone who might be interested.

-----------------------------------------------

Inspired by the National Trust for Historic Preservation's "This Place Matters" initiative, Preservation Wayne and the GDHPC have partnered with the Detroit Historic District Commission to stage a group photo in front of the Michigan Central Railroad Station on Wednesday, May 20, 2009, at 5:30pm.

Please get the word out to EVERYONE you know. We want this to be the largest group picture in Michigan, maybe even the country! The photo will appear on the preservationnation.org website.

For those not familiar with the "This Place Matters" initiative, essentially the project aims to identify historic places throughout the country that truly matter to people. In Michigan, Detroit specifically, the MCS has been identified by many as a place that they want to see saved. More details may be found on this website: http://www.preservationnation.org/ta...place-matters/

Details:
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009, 5:30pm [[Photo taken promptly at 5:45pm)
    Meet in front of Michigan Central Station

Afterward everyone is welcome to participate in dining and cocktail hour at one of the many Michigan Avenue-Corktown establishments.

Thank you,
    Katie Dallos
    Assistant, Greater Detroit Historic Preservation Coalition

Retroit Guest

"This Place Matters"
    Unfortunately, this place doesn't not matter. Maybe they should call it "History Matters" or "Our Neighborhood Matters".

Here's another crazy use for the MCS: a Wind Turbine Building. Since the windows are knocked out, all they have to do is install the turbines and take advantage of the height of the building and lack of surrounding buildings that would block the wind.

THINK GREEN!

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I just received this email and wanted to pass it along to anyone who might be interested.

-----------------------------------------------

Inspired by the National Trust for Historic Preservation's "This Place Matters" initiative, Preservation Wayne and the GDHPC have partnered with the Detroit Historic District Commission to stage a group photo in front of the Michigan Central Railroad Station on Wednesday, May 20, 2009, at 5:30pm.

Please get the word out to EVERYONE you know. We want this to be the largest group picture in Michigan, maybe even the country! The photo will appear on the preservationnation.org website.

For those not familiar with the "This Place Matters" initiative, essentially the project aims to identify historic places throughout the country that truly matter to people. In Michigan, Detroit specifically, the MCS has been identified by many as a place that they want to see saved. More details may be found on this website: http://www.preservationnation.org/ta...place-matters/

Details:
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009, 5:30pm [[Photo taken promptly at 5:45pm)
    Meet in front of Michigan Central Station

Afterward everyone is welcome to participate in dining and cocktail hour at one of the many Michigan Avenue-Corktown establishments.

Thank you,
    Katie Dallos
    Assistant, Greater Detroit Historic Preservation Coalition

...so, where do you park? are we gonna get a ticket for parking anywhere near the structure?

So you are saying that the all the floors in the building as hotel were finished? I hope that the upper floors of the Book Cadillac are more "finished".

Hyperbole, no?
    What are you talking about?

The tower of the MCS was NEVER a hotel... only office space and storage space!
    That very same story was played out across the country. Should every train station in America be preserved as it was during the World Wars? How about the bus stops for kids whose towns didn't have train service?
    Nice try at a "non causa pro causa" slippery slope argument...
    http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html
    Sorry, I don't debate fallacies...

And I was just giving you some examples using servicemen... I didn't think you would take it to such narrowly focused extremes.

Kings, rulers, statesmen, entertainers, industrialists, etc... also all came thru the MSC. For example, it was the last train station that Harry Houdini ever saw before he died here in Detroit. If you need to be given more details as to what makes the MSC historic, I'll oblige you...

And, why do you hate Vietnam and Iraq Vets? Don't they deserve to have all the airports in the country preserved as they were when they used them? No love for the Civil War vets either? Didn't Michigan have folks in the GAR?
    Karl is that you? [[Karl was a former Forumer who's nastiness got him kicked off) Sounds a lot like "why do you hate America so" coments that Karl is known for.... Now all we need to hear are the words "blather on..." to confirm it.

... and if you want to discuss airports... rather than ofuscate this topic, go look in the DYES archives about the L.C. Smith Terminal... and there's lots of threads in the archives of the GAR Building...

Maybe they could incorporate it into a new hockey arena, but you probably wouldn't have time to see it then, too bad.
    Not even a clue as to what you're saying here...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-18-09 at 02:15 PM.

Retroit Guest

I see a fair cross-section of Detroiters showed up:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...arams=Itemnr=1

Although I know it isn't likely, I do hope that MCS is restored and able to be used again. My Polish ancestors came to Michigan through that station...and my cousins and husband left for Vietnam there too. In my opinion it is part of our history [[granted it's quite an eyesore now) and deserves to be saved as do many of the buildings in the city.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2