Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, is expanding its presence in Michigan with the building of several Metro Detroit stores, including confirmation of a new superstore in Novi.
The retailer also is building new stores in Southgate and Canton Township and has begun hiring employees for a new location on Seven Mile in Livonia that will open in August. Wal-Mart is looking for 300 to 500 full-time and part-time workers in a range of positions, from department managers to associates, said Mohamed Alhabiel, zone merchandise supervisor at Livonia's other Wal-Mart store on Plymouth Road.
"We are interested in Detroit, and we hope to grow there," said Wal-Mart spokesman Bill Wertz. "We feel urban markets have great potential for us because we're underrepresented in a lot of areas."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100529/...#ixzz0pTegGwLI
I do not enjoy big box retailers, especially Walmart, but end up buying way to much of my stuff from them. I always feel so guilty though.... like I do after smoking a cigarette, or eating at McDonald's. Half the stuff I buy from Walmart breaks or is recalled in a few months, but my childhood best friend is employed there... maybe we should just be thankful for the jobs coming? Is this good or bad news?

I think I'll stick with Main Street Woodward. I like that atmosphere better, and am willing to pay a few extra cents for it. I hope they can coexist, if they have to, I guess.