Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I guess he means 'local' news in Jacksonville, FL

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/vet...xx-wtlv_b49990

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I guess he means 'local' news in Jacksonville, FL

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/vet...xx-wtlv_b49990
    The bills still have to be paid. WXYZ's and Detroit's loss.

Congrats Steve!!!

Do you actually live in the Detroit area Steve?
    I thought you were from out of town.

Mr. Wilson, all the reporting you did on Kwame was awesome. You got beat up a lot by his hired thugs, but it was worth it, because you we're the first one to start exposing the thug-mayor for what he was.

When your project comes to fruition, I will be listening.

I'm glad to see you're OK after the health issues you had.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Scottathew; May-28-12 at 07:32 AM.

Yeah, can't fault Steve for going back to Florida.

Just glad he's still with us...haven't heard anything in a long while, even going to his independent news site.

Funny how Meddle's post seems like an indictment...because in two years, fighting a health issue that almost did him in, he was unable to start a new type of news organization up here and had to hire in at another station to make the bills?! With the number of established news organizations having troubles...it is no indictment of Steve that it didn't happen.

Cheers!

Interesting discussion. When I studied journalism at U-D, I was told by a Channel 9 [[Windsor) producer that the Popeye cartoons with Captain Jolly more than tripled the combined newscasts of 2, 4, and 7 during the 6:00 hour. At that time, local stations were more or less mandated by the FCC to air newscasts to demonstrate that they were operating in the public interest, necessity and convenience. This was all obligatory if the locals were to successfully have their broadcast licenses renewed. Then, during the mega-events of the 60's, including the Kennedy and King assassinations, civil unrest in the cities, the '68 Chicago convention and the moon landing, the television industry noticed that the viewing public had an insatiable appetite for live 24-hour coverage of broadcast news. This was important as news organizations both nationally and locally could potentially move newscasts from the sphere of public service to become true profit centers. Obviously then, the competition for viewers would become the new game in town. One anchor would become two. Male-dominated on camera staffs would become infiltrated with women. Experienced news staff would be replaced by more camera-friendly resources, and on and on. As time went on, news departments became keenly aware of "what sells" in local areas. And these would become the information du jour, replacing what had formerly be classified as news. For instance in Detroit, race sells. Salacious crime sells. Organized labor versus big business sells. Obviously weather and sports would also rank very high. Those items that have "legs" - or staying power - would stick around until the legs dissipated. A good example of that is the recent Bashara story. Anyway, just my perspective. It doesn't have to be anyone else's. But being a life time Detroiter, it has been interesting to me to watch how the news has evolved into what it is today.

When I studied journalism at U-D,
    They didn't teach you about paragraphs?

this forum has trouble with paragraphs and certain browsers. i hope the news moves into idiocracy levels soon.

News has become more like the National Inquirer over the years too. It's not "Just the facts mame" like you were taught in school. There is a titilalating aspect that is kind of unsavory but unfortunately used to get people's attention.
    This along with teasing ads during station breaks is annoying.
    TV news just have time to really inform past a few news bites. You need to read a newspaper to really get the "facts".

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    this forum has trouble with paragraphs and certain browsers. i hope the news moves into idiocracy levels soon.
    I agree... This website has BIG problems!

I wish he was here to get in Bob Ficano's face!

uh-- I'm not trying to be a smart alec here, but this is Steve Wilson formerly of WXYZ TV-7? [[I'm sure, statistically, there are lots of steve wilsons out there)

anybody else going to the conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    uh-- I'm not trying to be a smart alec here, but this is Steve Wilson formerly of WXYZ TV-7? [[I'm sure, statistically, there are lots of steve wilsons out there)
    Yes, it's him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2