Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Kilpatrick fired after being sent to prison 18 months to 5 years
    BY JIM SCHAEFER, JOE SWICKARD AND BEN SCHMITT
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was fired from his job today after being sentenced to prison for probation violation.

“Kwame Kilpatrick will be off the Compuware Corporation payroll at the end of the month," said a company statement. "We don’t have any choices. It’s an unfortunate situation, and we feel bad for his family, but our hands are tied.”

Compuware CEO Peter Karmanos Jr. hired Kilpatrick for his Detroit-based company the day after the former mayor was freed from jail in February 2009. The job paid a base salary of $120,000 with potential for bonuses.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...-up-to-5-years

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Because though he is a convicted felon, he is not a convicted murderer or rapist.
    He did rape the city though!

As far away from Fishbones and all the other built-in perks he would be afforded through all the cronies from the McNamara regime on downward...hell yeah!

I can only guess what they meant in that quote about prepping that joint in Hamtown for him...they went and made a secret back way in for his food and ho deliveries!

I certainly hope he gets housed in general population...and the lessons he learns are NOT how to be a better crime boss.

They're shakin' in their shoes in the Shrine of the Black Madonna this morning, let me tell ya.

Momma Kilpatrick is looking at the end of her illustrious and profitable political career.

Now...where is that investigation on the dirty pastors in town...and the rest of the group of 175 that met at Cobo Hall in his last days in office?! Will that prove that Bing is just a mini-Kwhyme, rehiring the same group of thugs endorsed and protected by the McNamara umbrella?!

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    He did rape the city though!
    Touche, agirl

We in Hamtramck are proud and honored to have Kwame in our jail

[[ uh ... the jail within our city limits).

LodgeDodger Guest

“Kwame Kilpatrick will be off the Compuware Corporation payroll at the end of the month," said a company statement. "We don’t have any choices. It’s an unfortunate situation, and we feel bad for his family, but our hands are tied.”
    Talk about a poorly-written statement...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, that would be a sweet PR trick too, mis-stating the actual sentence.
    Detroitnerd, I just think that emotions are overruling everything else when it comes to KMK. I understood it in 2008, but no, I don't understand people's gleeful reactions to this. I think it's incredibly sad, and I doubt Detroit will ever see the entirety of that restitution.

In a current Detroit TIME blog article today, hipsters are bemoaning Bing's lack of charisma and passion. Are they serious? I think the media misses Kwame's drama. I don't. I was disgusted, disappointed, and upset by all of it, and after the wall-to-wall coverage in '08, I have Kilpatrick fatigue.

Today should be the end of it, other than coverage of the appeals, or if he's facing federal charges [[my guess would be no, or he would have been dragged in during the Conyers/Riddle/Jackson roundup). We have so much going on in the city, and so many issues to deal with. But I'm sure we will be subjected to stories about what Kwame had for breakfast in prison. That's infotainment!

I have saw it all in my crystal ball. KING KWAME is headed to Dickerson Prison! YAY, What a victory for the Detroit justice system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Paula Tuttman's report from outside the courthouse was telling. She stated that Kilpatrick's uncle flipped her an obscene gesture as they arrived, and that another family member was circling the block in a luxury automobile, yelling obscenities at the news people, before picking up family members after the procedure. The ex mayor showed the same attitude immediately after the sentence was announced, offering a sarcastic "thank you" to another reporter behind him. The family seems to feel that it's all the new media's fault. They are so used to their entitlement status that they do not see that this was brought on by the ex mayor's actions and lies. They don't get it.

The whole family is angry that the gravy train continues to crash. Ever since he entered politics, he's been putting cash in the pockets of his family and friends, and I'm talking way back when he was at the State level. Once he became Mayor, it was instant jobs with high salaries for everyone. Even after he left Detroit, he had access to millions of dollars, so you can imagine that every cousin Fred and auntie Linda was still getting the benefit of his bankroll and his contacts.

They see it all ending and they're upset. Mama Cheeks is nearing the end of her reign also. Pretty soon, every Cheeks-Kilpatrick family member will have to fill out a job application and pray for a call just like every other person in Michigan. The future is NOT bright for that clan, I understand they're bitter.

And through it all, none of them think he did anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Detroitnerd, I just think that emotions are overruling everything else when it comes to KMK. I understood it in 2008, but no, I don't understand people's gleeful reactions to this. I think it's incredibly sad, and I doubt Detroit will ever see the entirety of that restitution.

In a current Detroit TIME blog article today, hipsters are bemoaning Bing's lack of charisma and passion. Are they serious? I think the media misses Kwame's drama. I don't. I was disgusted, disappointed, and upset by all of it, and after the wall-to-wall coverage in '08, I have Kilpatrick fatigue.

Today should be the end of it, other than coverage of the appeals, or if he's facing federal charges [[my guess would be no, or he would have been dragged in during the Conyers/Riddle/Jackson roundup). We have so much going on in the city, and so many issues to deal with. But I'm sure we will be subjected to stories about what Kwame had for breakfast in prison. That's infotainment!
    It's bigger than Kwame, bigger than his mom or his dad. This is the McNamara machine we're talking about. It's a savvy PR thing to make it all about Kwame, but I have no problem with rooting while the old machine appears to be popping gears, spouting smoke and generally malfunctioning. That the system can punish those in power who abused their power is a good thing, whatever pain comes with it.

My comments directed at Mr. Paul -- oops, I mean Johnnie Sue Bridges -- were just one of my usual one-line gags. I don't mean to contribute to any mob mentality. You know me: Class clown with a heart of gold. And I appreciate your point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Talk about a poorly-written statement...
    LOL, he didn't do anything there anyway! It was a job on paper only! I'm sure Uncle Petey will still find a way to filter checks to Carlita, you know, that payoff money he promised Mama Cheeks!

It's bigger than Kwame, bigger than his mom or his dad. This is the McNamara machine we're talking about. It's a savvy PR thing to make it all about Kwame, but I have no problem with rooting while the old machine appears to be popping gears, spouting smoke and generally malfunctioning. That the system can punish those in power who abused their power is a good thing, whatever pain comes with it.

My comments directed at Mr. Paul -- oops, I mean Johnnie Sue Bridges -- were just one of my usual one-line gags. I don't mean to contribute to any mob mentality. You know me: Class clown with a heart of gold. And I appreciate your point of view.
    Okay, when I read the bolded, I got it. I couldn't agree with you more. The McNamara machine will be taken down by 2012. And yes, I can understand people being happy that Kilpatrick is getting justice. I don't feel badly for him at all, just for his kids.

It's just that, given the current troubles in the city, I was just annoyed by the wall-to-wall coverage after the initial announcement. Half of Detroit could have disappeared this morning and we wouldn't have known a thing about it.

You're a good one, Detroitnerd. My comment wasn't directed at you, but to our local media. They did a great job taking down Kilpatrick through investigative reporting, and I applauded them two years ago for doing so. But this morning, I thought the media should have been a little more dignified in the way they handled the coverage. This isn't a sporting event, it's a sad day in the history of Detroit.

Let's see what KING KWAME gets while's on a permanent vacation:

Kwame Kilpatrick will be joining with the rest of the infamous theives and murderers in a dark, dank, rat and roach infested tiny concrete reinforced cubicle at the Dickerson Prison where would spend the rest of his 1.5 to 5 years. Kwame will recieve some awful prison food courtesy of 'solid waste industries'. He will recieve one towel, one thin pillow, a small tiny plastic toothbrush, a small bar of unscented soap, thin sheet and a small hard bedspead. Kwame will get one hour of fresh air and exercize and its back to his cage. He might get prison work, perhaps in the kitchen. Finally he would get a shave once a day, a low haircut one a month and a nice icy cold shower once a day.

All of those packages are worth, over thousands of your hard earned taxpayer monies.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Back to you Neda Agha-Soltan
    Last edited by Danny; May-25-10 at 12:25 PM.

How the mighty have fallen.
    From being at the top,
    now to being a bottom.

As I know people who work in jaktown's Reception Center, I can say they have been preparing for The Felon for awhile. Rest assured that he will become a number, placed under surveillance, reviewed as to his mental state and removed to deep within the walls of the prison with other non-violent offenders. I don't believe his assault of the sheriff will preclude him from being placed with check-kiters, drunk drivers and embezzlers.

From there he will be reevaluated for placement in a minimum security facility in the piney woods of Michigan some time around Labor Day.

His Appeal does not put a pause on incarceration.

The title of this thread is inaccurate. He was sentenced to a maximum of 5 years. Even if he were to serve the max, he gets credit for the 120 days he served in 2008.
    Im curious, how is it he gets credit for 120 days, when thats was a differant offense?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    The best thing that could've happened for this community is for Kwame never to have been mayor.
    The best thing would've been the guy about two mayors earlier never been mayor. I will vote Kwame for second though.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    The best thing would've been the guy about two mayors earlier never been mayor.
    The Gribbs for Mayor crew never goes away, apparently.

The Gribbs for Mayor crew never goes away, apparently.
    Good ol Roman, is he still alive?
    Ok, I'm not gonna hijack this thread.

Don't drop the soap Kwame. You should've been in prison a long time ago, and I seriously pray you server at least 60% of your sentence.

This was a treat to see when I logged into CNN a tad earlier.
    Last edited by mikefmich; May-25-10 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Im curious, how is it he gets credit for 120 days, when thats was a differant offense?
    Be curious no longer. The 120 days was a result of his two counts of obstruction and perjury and assault of a law officer. With the 120 came probation. Since he violated the probation, he was re-sentenced for the two counts and the assault. Since he has already served a buck 20 that time will be added to the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    LOL, he didn't do anything there anyway! It was a job on paper only! I'm sure Uncle Petey will still find a way to filter checks to Carlita, you know, that payoff money he promised Mama Cheeks!
    You got that right. The hush money will still flow.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    This is a probation violation of the same case.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Be curious no longer. The 120 days was a result of his two counts of obstruction and perjury and assault of a law officer. With the 120 came probation. Since he violated the probation, he was re-sentenced for the two counts and the assault. Since he has already served a buck 20 that time will be added to the sentence.

Thanks for the info

LodgeDodger Guest

I don't feel badly for him at all, just for his kids.
    While his kids are learning a hard lesson at an early age, perhaps this is for the good. I'm hoping they didn't inherit the Kilpatrick arrogance. Maybe Daddy spending time in prison to pay for his crime[[s) sets the example that all citizens must obey the law.

As far as the media and their excitement, it's not every day a former mayor of a major US city is sent to prison.

ferntruth Guest

Couldn't we just take him out back and shoot him?

That would make everyone happy - hell, even Carlita would probably smile at the news.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast