http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...18#cdbComments

There is a controversy over whether or not to build a second bridge between Detroit and Windsor and whether Matty Moroun should be allowed to add a second span to his Ambassador Bridge.

I say: Let the guy spend his own money and expand his bridge.

With all the troubles facing our state from budget and manpower shortages, we would be wise to just shelve the government plans and let private enterprise continue to invest its money. Traffic is down from a decade ago; we can wait to see if the traffic increases enough to justify investing public money.

I've heard from both parties on this issue. For some reason I still can't figure out, the Michigan and Canadian governments don't want this guy to spend his own money to expand and operate his bridge at a profit. They seem to believe an international bridge should be owned and operated by a government bureaucracy, not private enterprise. And they seem to think making a profit on such a bridge is wrong.

The Canadians want this new bridge so much they are willing increase their share of investment by more than $500 million that would be paid back by future tolls. Moroun has had a tough relationship with the Canadians for decades. It started with trucking and it now includes bridges. I don't expect there is much that will make them happy.

Matty Moroun is not always a lovable fellow, although I must admit I have always found him to be very cordial and friendly. On the other hand, I've never done business with him. I understand he's one very tough businessman. Sometimes to excess. But heck, if he makes a few more million, maybe he'll become one of the great philanthropists of our community. You never know.

With new profits from an expansion, maybe Moroun would restore his Detroit train station and fix up that horrid eyesore.

Matty Moroun is a feisty old guy who is a self-made gazillionare. He plays hardball all the time and, I'm told, doesn't like to lose. But he's owned that bridge for a long time, and I think we should let him spend some of his millions to expand it.

If traffic goes up substantially, we can always build another bridge. Meanwhile, let's spend our time on the other challenges facing the state of Michigan.

Let Matty expand his bridge.....

It seems like Keith has no knowlege of the reality of the bridge issue.... Here is my note in response...