Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Robert Bobb to run for mayor ...

Good news for the Bay Area, bad news for Motown. I wish him the best of luck and sincerely hope that the work he started here doesn't get completely undone.

Why is it bad news? It's clear he's going to fulfill his obligation of a year here.

And frankly, no one expected him to stay - he's going to be universally hated by the time he leaves because he's doing what needs to be done and cutting off a lot of people's gravy train.

The real test is if our fellow citizens of Detroit decide wake up and keep the reforms in place, before the DPS becomes a defacto charter district.

I lived in the Bay Area when Bobb was the city manager for Oakland. I wish him luck.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I lived in the Bay Area when Bobb was the city manager for Oakland. I wish him luck.
    Do you think he could win ?. Ron Dellums is a pretty formidable guy and used to be on the national stage.

I guess that just gives Bobb more motivation to turn DPS around

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    Why is it bad news? It's clear he's going to fulfill his obligation of a year here.

And frankly, no one expected him to stay - he's going to be universally hated by the time he leaves because he's doing what needs to be done and cutting off a lot of people's gravy train.

The real test is if our fellow citizens of Detroit decide wake up and keep the reforms in place, before the DPS becomes a defacto charter district.
    I guess, deep down I was hoping that maybe, just maybe he would stick around in Detroit or wind up some place else in Michigan. Plus, what happens when there's a lot left to do by the time his year is up? Lastly, while he may be universallly hated by many of the powers that be, I would wager that he'll have the support of the general Detroit electorate by the time he's finished. In fact, many of the DPS parents that I've talked to have a very favorable opinion of him already.

The auditing enema should clean out the finances of the public schools. Mr. Bob has done a courageous job so far.
    More shit will hit the fan before he's done. Maybe a few
    good old DPS boys will be going to jail as an example for future board members. One can only hope.
    I imagine well entrenched Oakland officials might not appreciate his return.

Bummer. Bob Bobb seems like someone who actually knows what he's doing and what to do to fix it. A rare species in the city of Detroit. Wish he could stick around longer.

there was a town hall meeting at wayne state today-- taped broadcast on WDET radio tomorrow..

http://www.freep.com/article/2009042...etroit+schools