Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My mom lived there from 1922 until WWII. I'll ask her when I see her Friday. I do remember her saying that the neighborhood behind there and towards the south was where the Gypsies lived and she did talk about that bank, so maybe she remembers the Blitz building.

I heard also that the area south of Jefferson, which is behind the bank, was the Gypsy neighborhood. North of Jefferson was Hungarian, west of Dearborn Street was Polish. Of course there were not strict boundaries and there were Italians around Oakwood Ave. and numerous other ethnic groups.

Next to the bank is the former Magyar Haz, the Hungarian club. Someone from Holy Cross told me that the club was operational until about 2000, then moved to a new facility in Taylor.

I remember a furniture and appliance store right on the corner of West End and Jefferson in the late 1960's. I think the name was "Fox" or Fox was part of it's name. This store had large picture windows facing Jeffereson and West End.
    There was a tiny candy store run by an older European gentelmen who spoke with a heavy accent, and a store front holiness church, both in the same building and across the street from the furniture store facing West End. Not sure if I am talking about the same area but I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
    I remember a furniture and appliance store right on the corner of West End and Jefferson in the late 1960's. I think the name was "Fox" or Fox was part of it's name. This store had large picture windows facing Jeffereson and West End.
    There was a tiny candy store run by an older European gentelmen who spoke with a heavy accent, and a store front holiness church, both in the same building and across the street from the furniture store facing West End. Not sure if I am talking about the same area but I hope this helps.
    As a small kid in the early 50's, I remember going into Fox Furniture with my mom to buy furniture, with money my dad won playing the numbers. We went to Michigan Malleable Iron Company on Crossley where he worked and picked up the money and spent part of it at Fox. I think there was also a Fox Hardware across the street from the appliance store.

I wonder if anybody would miss a few bricks from this pile?

Stromberg2

Sad, the satellite photo shows the roof of the old Hungarian Club collapsing. The Magyar Haz. I didn't have any hope for the building but god bless them for using until around 2002, at least that's what I was told.

Would any Dyes'ers have ever visited the old Magyar Haz? I would have loved to see it when it was open and an event was going on there.

Yes, it was Fox, a/k/a Fox Hardware. It had been on West Jefferson on the other side of West End, previously, and then moved to the location you described. Fox had many incarnations over the years - furniture, sports, department, etc. I learned a few years ago that the Fox family was from River Rouge. I bought my very first 'brand new' motorcycle from Fox Hardware in 1964. I remember looking at it in the window and I can feel the excitement to this very day

Default Fox-Delray

Interesting, my Dad bought my first bike a small 18-or twenty inch bike with training wheels from Western Auto on Fort St. I was red and white with hard rubber tires!! We lived on the edge of Delray on Fort St across from the Fleetwood Plant.
    It's a shame about Delray. I rem I use to go with my mom to buy poultry [[live) on Dearborn St. I was born in Delray General Hospital on Jeffersom Ave. Not too many can make that claim to fame...

Quoting from gazhekwe's great post above:

>>From A History of Detroit, Vol. 3, 1912
    >>The late Louis Blitz signified much to Detroit and his was a life marked by large and worthy accomplishment by the highest integrity and honor and by an abiding human sympathy and tolerance, His was indeed a triumphant life ...

In the old days, Kings would erect monuments to their greatness. In old England there were small kingdoms with castles. In the 19th century, you would erect a building with your name on it. When it was erected, in their enthusiasm, they probably throught the business would last forever. But businesses fade, other business occupy the building. Finally, the last physical remnants of Louis Blitz's apparently great achievements collapse to the ground. Probably not event his relatives know about it. It is only noted by a few strangers on an electronic bulletin board.

It is kind of sad when you think of it that way.

Well, taps is over, put your hat back on your head and walk away. We respected the man in some small way.

Interesting, my Dad bought my first bike a small 18-or twenty inch bike with training wheels from Western Auto on Fort St. I was red and white with hard rubber tires!! We lived on the edge of Delray on Fort St across from the Fleetwood Plant.
    It's a shame about Delray. I rem I use to go with my mom to buy poultry [[live) on Dearborn St. I was born in Delray General Hospital on Jeffersom Ave. Not too many can make that claim to fame...
    When I drove thru Delray, I found this overgrown Park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=delray...271.53,,0,7.41
    Anyone ever play there back in the day?
    Was there alot more houses over there, or did I-75 eat them up?
    Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    When I drove thru Delray, I found this overgrown Park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=delray...271.53,,0,7.41
    Anyone ever play there back in the day?
    Was there alot more houses over there, or did I-75 eat them up?
    Just wondering.
    Sorry, I couldn't view the photo on the link.

That is The Carbon Works Neighborhood. Fort street bridge to Dearborn st, Fort street to I75. At one time it was a nice little neighborhood, just like Delray, Oakwood. Carbon AC is in that hood. Years ago there were a lot of sports with Carbon AC and Oakwood Blue Jackets. Starting back 1915/20s. until around the 60's. See some of the history of OBJ and the sports on FB, Oakwood Blue Jackets page.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2