Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    Perhaps the initial white flight was due quite a bit to racism, but as the tax base decreased, city services declined, schools became worse, and crime went up, a lot of people moved to suburbs for better schools and better services. And when the people leave, so do a lot of the businesses. That causes more people to leave because their work and shopping is in the suburbs. I'm not a fan of suburbs in general, but I don't blame somebody for living where they feel they could to make a better life for their kids.

The decline likely started with racism, but I don't think that those who leave Detroit today are racists. They just decide they want to move somewhere else.
    I guess that it is obvious, LeannaM, that I sometimes find fault with some of your comments. I think you over-simplify things, at times, to say the least.
    However, in this case, I think your post executed the simplification thing to great effect. I'm not saying that you summed it all up and wrapped a bow around it, but I think your remarks in the post I am quoting are well-said and have a lot of truth to them.

I think some of us, here, may agree on more than we realize we agree on. Damned sure, that racism is a major problem in Detroit. In fact, I think it is getting worse, and it's not just an issue between blacks and whites.
    The economic issue is even worse, and while race & racism are related to the development of that economic disaster, the two are not completely intertwined.
    The auto industry didn't bottom out because of racism, and the black folks I know who moved from Detroit to, typically, Southfield didn't do it because they have a distaste for other black folks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    To be sure, there are a lot worse places to live in Metro Detroit than those zip codes. Like I said, I grew up there. No real complaints other than it was COMPLETELY white and very elderly even then. Growing up in a homogeneous area did me a huge disservice in life, practically speaking, not even ideologically. The only diversity we had on our block was the family who wasn't Catholic. I'm not going to give away my age, but this was in the 1980's and 1990's, and I know things haven't changed radically since then.

My main argument: St. Clair Shores isn't going to put us on the map. It isn't our central city. It has no industry, and it has no downtown. Long term, it has no future without Detroit or without the auto industry. People from across the country aren't moving to St. Clair Shores or Warren or Livonia, but the young, smart, creative people [[the opposite of people like 48080) from those places are getting the hell out of here and are moving to places like Chicago and New York - real, viable urban areas. They're taking with them their education and any jobs and ideas they'd come up with.

We're putting nails in our own casket as a region by writing off Detroit and pretending we're safe in the suburbs, or pretending Detroit is okay for that matter.

To be sure, Detroit is a much, much more dangerous place than St. Clair Shores. However, we are not really safe anywhere. I think a tragic example is of that kid from the northern Macomb suburbs who was at the Quizno's in Eastpointe or Roseville who was carjacked and killed a few months back.

I don't mean to exploit his terrible death, but what I mean to say is both that we are not really safe anywhere, and that if we ignore Detroit's problems they will continue to spill over into the "green zones".

48080, I'm ignoring you from now on. I could say a lot less charitable things, but you aren't worth the time, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. You are free to enjoy your life in your "diverse" suburb. I'll still be waiting in fear for those drug fiends to beat down my door.
    if what I am seeing in Chicago is your bright, enlightened, educated people's moving here you are in serious trouble for I can't imagine what is left behind then. Because the Michigan people, they will never say they are from Detroit area, are a bunch of dull, dubs, empty people.

I have never seen such a race conscious people in my life and you people are infecting whole neighborhoods of Chicago. I supported the bailout of the auto companies just so the migration to Chicago slows., A metro Detroiter reminds me of those dolls as a kid where you pull the chord. The doll will not stop yapping, complaining your people's cases, until the chord runs out. The chord is about 100 miles long.

A simple conversation with a 'Michigan' person will be about for example about the lack of parking. You moved into this neighborhood. Change it for you. Then taxes, then immigrants, then gays, blacks, then shit SHUT UP!

Ravine Guest

"...until the chord runs out."

Press down the pedal on the far-right. The chord will last longer.

I don't dis people for living in the burbs. Been there done that. I have lived in Detroit for the balance of my life and this is my home town. Warren sucked, Ferndale was nice, Northville [[rural) at the time was great and Macomb Twsp really sucked big eggs. GPP was great. The last three burbs were due to school issues. The moment my kids graduated I booked it back to Detroit.

I live in 48224 but own a home in 48214. Police response in both zips is pretty good. Only problems we have encountered in 48214 is car theft. I am taking steps to avert that. Know my Neighbors in both areas. I love this city.

EEV is so stable and comfortable which I credit our neighborhood association for. Islandview a little less so. When I take up permanent residence there I plan to be actively involved in that association too. I hate that Detroiters are dismissed as poverty stricken losers. It just isn't true. Money does not make the man.

My home in 48214, which is 101 years old, is stunning in its beauty, currently I lease it out. There is no issues there about race either. Like any other community, neighbors take pride in maintaining homes and are very friendly.

Runnerxt, If you hate Michiganders moving there I have to question why you are reading and posting on Detroit Yes. Too boring for you there?

Being a city lover person, I adore Chicago, New York and Toronto as a few examples.

My eldest son lived there for two years but happily for me [[Mom) he is back and doing well here in Detroit in a very creative job. My youngest son, as I write is visiting friends in Chicago. He is spending his hard earned money vacationing there. Perhaps, I should text him to let him know that as a Michigan resident he is considered a dead bore.

Your depiction of our state and youth is way off. Generalizations such as you made only show ignorance.

seeking civic minded compassionate souls to march on detroit neighborhhod streets to stamp out crime! address the old schooler please tell your friends this can be done we can be a model for our country for others to follow to save and rebuild inner cities! This is a request to take immediate action! Thank you

7. Default

Exactly where are you marching and when?

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Runnerxt, If you hate Michiganders moving there I have to question why you are reading and posting on Detroit Yes. Too boring for you there?

Being a city lover person, I adore Chicago, New York and Toronto as a few examples.

My eldest son lived there for two years but happily for me [[Mom) he is back and doing well here in Detroit in a very creative job. My youngest son, as I write is visiting friends in Chicago. He is spending his hard earned money vacationing there. Perhaps, I should text him to let him know that as a Michigan resident he is considered a dead bore.

Your depiction of our state and youth is way off. Generalizations such as you made only show ignorance.
    Yes, just like calling everyone who moves out of the city, regardless of reason, a coward is a generalization that shows just as much ignorance on your part. People live where THEY want, not where YOU think they should.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    People live where THEY want, not where YOU think they should.
    Not entirely. People who have options live in places that haven't been designated as dumping grounds for social problems we don't want to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Yes, just like calling everyone who moves out of the city, regardless of reason, a coward is a generalization that shows just as much ignorance on your part. People live where THEY want, not where YOU think they should.
    Second. I grew up in Detroit, but after not being able to find another decent job there after moving back from Manhattan, I am supposed to just stay?

Calling anyone who has left Detroit a coward and part of the problem is BULLSHIT. Thanks for staying and keeping it "real".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3