Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In Hamtramck it's "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" My friends call the "HELLO?" truck the "hip-hop ice cream truck" because of its chunky beat.
    "Do your ears hang low" is the same as "Turkey in the Straw". Just depends which elementary school you went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    "Do your ears hang low" is the same as "Turkey in the Straw". Just depends which elementary school you went to.
    As much as I miss living in Detroit at times, it's nice to be in a suburb where the police respond to noise/barking dog calls and neighbors that don't cut their grass or maintain their property are forced to do so. Ah, quality of life!

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    As much as I miss living in Detroit at times, it's nice to be in a suburb where the police respond to noise/barking dog calls and neighbors that don't cut their grass or maintain their property are forced to do so. Ah, quality of life!
    ...and when those damn kids wont stay off my lawn.

[[thanks for that keen catch, JL, another good gut laugh due to you...so healthy)

As for the problem makers, they've proven that Chamber Music chases them away, so fire away as a defensive measure.

Bring a little Bach Brandenburg Concertii to the fight...give them some old-school culture in the process!

If you go with the White Noise, don't pump it into your house, again, play it at 110dB outside...dither always works best at the source, not the receiving end!

Good luck.

Thankfully all parts of the city are not that way. I happen to live on in a large dwelling with two lots on each side totally about 1/8 acre or so, so it rabbits, pheasant, squirrels and quiet... as there's is open space per the lots were purchased from homes that were torn down years ago.

My neighbors on the block are fairly quiet with the exception of two big parties twice a year in the summer and our own events that are kept very quiet... I was not aware how LOUD some people could be until I visited friend living in house "crammed" neighborhood without driveways with houses side by side. It was dreadful.

One family played the most vulgar, degrading songs right in front of children. Without regard to anyone else. And of course call the police is useless... they are far too busy......
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    I hate summer in Detroit. Much as winter wears you out physically, summer has a set of issues that are even more dispiriting. Years ago, I looked forward to summer weekends, but the noise level in my neighborhood is such that I pray for rain on weekends. I cut back on planting flowers etc etc because it's impossible to enjoy the outdoors when at any given point - at least after about 12 noon - some of my neighbors may begin blasting music at volumes which are inconsistent with any sense of sharing a community with other human beings.

I've had the walls rattled in my home at 2 or 3 in the morning and actually on one occasion had to get up and get dressed to ask the humanoid to turn his stereo system down [[I had elderly relatives spending the night). It is so enraging, actually an act of contempt and disrespect.

I laughed today when I read in the New York Times that Hank Jones, a grammy award winning jazz pianist, would practice for hours at home using an electronic keyboard with headphones on so as to avoid disturbing his neighbors' peace. I love him for that alone. As I write this, it's about 10:00 p.m. on a Wednesday night and one of my neighbors' music is audible throughout my home. I typically work an 8 to 11 hour day and when I get home I just want a little peace. In the winters and cooler months I can get that rest, but in the summer it's a little dicey.

Don't say call the cops because they have never once responded to a noise call in my neighborhood. This is Detroit.

Detroit is hell with harsh winters and never more hellish than in the summer.

LOL! Yeah we get the "Helll-o" truck coming down the road too. Funny, I'd not thought of it like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post

LOL the "HELLO" on certain ice cream trucks is definitely creepy

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In Hamtramck it's "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" My friends call the "HELLO?" truck the "hip-hop ice cream truck" because of its chunky beat.
    yes, I know. The ice cream truck baron lives on my street, so I hear it 24-7 when he's trying to fix the sound system on one of his 4 trucks. I reallly hate that song and the hello. Will never eat ice cream from a truck again. lol

I heard one that was playing La Cucaracha.

I'll take the ice cream truck over my neighbor blasting Doug FM.

This post reminds me of my parents old home on Chalmers back in the early 90's just before they were forced to move out after there home was finally ransacked and robbed while they were both at that silly place called work. I would visit there in the summer and as Dad and I would sit on the couch trying to have a conversation the living room windows would rattle from the Booming music emanating from the street, but this only went on from about 1:00 pm to 1:00 am so as long as you started your day early you could enjoy the morning peace. Do yourself a favor Evergreen and let go of your sentimental attachment of your old neighborhood and move out of the fair city of the "D" for its glory days as you knew them are history and go enjoy life in the Burbs or the country you would be amazed how your quality of life improves.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    This post reminds me of my parents old home on Chalmers back in the early 90's just before they were forced to move out after there home was finally ransacked and robbed while they were both at that silly place called work. I would visit there in the summer and as Dad and I would sit on the couch trying to have a conversation the living room windows would rattle from the Booming music emanating from the street, but this only went on from about 1:00 pm to 1:00 am so as long as you started your day early you could enjoy the morning peace. Do yourself a favor Evergreen and let go of your sentimental attachment of your old neighborhood and move out of the fair city of the "D" for its glory days as you knew them are history and go enjoy life in the Burbs or the country you would be amazed how your quality of life improves.
    You're not supposed to agree with trolls. Didn't you watch Borat?

I don't know about the OP being a troll, other than he lives below the bridge, but the noise is the reason we moved from our block near Grand River and Greenfield in the 70s. It isn't a new problem. It was just as described, people had their clocks mixed up and thought the time after midnight was actually the time to do everything, from working on their car with their radio blasting, to having loud conversations on their front porches, even kids out playing in the street. Also there were a lot of big dogs who never seemed to stop barking. We finally opted for the privilege of sleeping with our windows open in another town. We were the peculiar people in our old neighborhood, so it was time to find a place where there were more people living our kind of lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Blocks and blocks of that same damn music....over and over....and over.
    "pop goes the weasel", all day long. You could hear it off in the distance, then it's on your street, in front of your house, then fades away. Then it repeats. At some point, I believe some sort of PC-movement banned that song for its inference of violence. Haven't been able to get that weasel tune outta my head for years now. oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I'll take the ice cream truck over my neighbor blasting Doug FM.
    ..but they play everything.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ..but they play everything.
    Everything by people I don't like.

I'm just chuckling like crazy over all your stories up above! Makes me appreciate my digs in my 55+ age required community out here on the edge of the desert. Only sounds I hear are distant coyotes on occasion, and, like the Grosse Pointers, tinkling of ice cubes in my drink.

Life is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2