Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah, I work in that community and now there's a "starring" and glaring contests between folks wearing RIP Jerean Blake T Shirt vs. RIP Aiyana Jones at Eastland mall etc. I'm encouraging all the teens I can as I did with my own kids to try to stay busy and away from negative influences this summer...
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    That is what I hear, too. And it's not even Memorial Day yet! School isn't even out! Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I wonder why Sharpton isn't going to preach at Jaream Blake's funeral?

Oh yeah, Blake's death doesn't matter - he wasn't killed by a white guy.
    That's exactly it. Why wasn't he at the black cop's funeral? Al's a scumbag

Quote Originally Posted by Wallins View Post
    Al Sharpton needs to stay home, he has no business here stirring up trouble. Horace Sheffield will also be at the funeral. Have these media whores no shame? Same with Fieger and his staged pathetic press conference, had my child been killed, being in front of the camera with Fieger would not have been on my mind, I would be too devastated to function.
    All 3 are the same. Scum bags!

When confronted with the lies that Tawana Brawley [[sp?) told, Sharpton replied that this was "irrelevant" to the case. At that time, Mr Sharpton should have become irrelevant to all thinking people.
    I wish he would not come. I hope he is not welcomed.
    Too many people with personal agendas are swooping down, here. It is not a political event. It is a tragedy.

DC48080 Guest

Sharpton, Jackson, Sheffield: Can you say inciting a riot?

These three morons cannot possibly do any good for the city. They are only looking to get in front of a camera and to hopefully line their pockets. They don't give a damn about anything except publicity and money.

Where were they when Officer Huff was MURDERED? Why aren't they going to be at the funeral for the young man whose MURDER led to the raid in which that little girl so tragically died [[because of the stupid choices the adult members of her family made)?

There is going to be incredible political pressure to convict Officer Weekley of something, anything in this matter to appease the masses in Detroit. Otherwise there could very likely be rioting in the D.

It is going to be a long hot summer in Detroit.

Rioting in the city for what purpose...? UGH! Burning houses, more people dying and ambulances and the police, fire trucks, business ruined [[what few remain), Marshall law, then the FEMA trucks [[folks standing about waiting for the federal handout) -- too ugly to imagine. I'd finally throw in the towel get out if it comes to that. I don't own any property so I am fluid and flexible to leave! Let us pray we do not have rioting behind this event!

I was a kid the first time around [['67) living off Longfellow street. I recall the fear in my parents eyes... the smell of the smoke, not being able to go out. The dry cleaners that burned down with my parents best clothing in it, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Sharpton, Jackson, Sheffield: Can you say inciting a riot?

These three morons cannot possibly do any good for the city. They are only looking to get in front of a camera and to hopefully line their pockets. They don't give a damn about anything except publicity and money.

Where were they when Officer Huff was MURDERED? Why aren't they going to be at the funeral for the young man whose MURDER led to the raid in which that little girl so tragically died [[because of the stupid choices the adult members of her family made)?

There is going to be incredible political pressure to convict Officer Weekley of something, anything in this matter to appease the masses in Detroit. Otherwise there could very likely be rioting in the D.

It is going to be a long hot summer in Detroit.

So much ignorance on this thread.. Sharpton's speech was great...

Sharpton's a fool.

Ravine Guest

Some of Sharpton's speech [[that was not a eulogy) was on-target, and if the family was OK with that kind of oration at their baby's funeral, well, that is their choice, for sure, but the whole "program" just seemed terribly out-of-place, to me.

Any time a funeral produces "sound-bites," that just feels wrong, to me, and in my opinion, Sharpton is all about producing "sound-bites," and the fact that some of them were on-target doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with their having been produced at a funeral, and the whole bit with the dame standing up and waving her arms around, well, some people just cannot control their urge to be at center-stage, and that includes Al, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Some of Sharpton's speech [[that was not a eulogy) was on-target, and if the family was OK with that kind of oration at their baby's funeral, well, that is their choice, for sure, but the whole "program" just seemed terribly out-of-place, to me.

Any time a funeral produces "sound-bites," that just feels wrong, to me, and in my opinion, Sharpton is all about producing "sound-bites," and the fact that some of them were on-target doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with their having been produced at a funeral, and the whole bit with the dame standing up and waving her arms around, well, some people just cannot control their urge to be at center-stage, and that includes Al, of course.
    I see some of you just don't like Rev. Al. Fair enough, but you have to respect the fact that the man has a voice and he will be heard by those who don't what to hear him. He was great on This Week, a few weeks ago when he was on the panel with George Will.

That said, having Al give the eulogy at Aiyana's funeral was a bad move because Sharpton would and did turn the eulogy into a "what's wrong in America" moment. Talking about police misconduct, Black on Black crime and deadbeat daddies is not the prefered talking points to use during a eulogy. A eulogy is given to speak about the person in passing and the family of Aiyana Stanley-Jones should have veto the idea of Rev. Al Sharpton giving the eulogy but Sharpton is a big name, so he was allowed to speak.

but you have to respect the fact that the man has a voice
    I'd rather he was mute.

Or it would be even better if he'd just go away. He's an instigator, plain and simple.

Again, why wasn't he at the 17 year old's funeral? Or Huff's?

Ahhhhh, yeah, that's right, Those cases aren't inflammatory enough for him.

Couldn't the kind Reverend Al said the same thing from his home? Did he really need to fly into town here and make a spectacle of it all? I understand that some people value his opinion, and I'm not 100% against some of his points, but he just seems as though he's a media whore when they show up at sad things like this. Do it on CNN, Fox, and every other show bent on lamenting the situation. Let the family mourn with a measure of dignity.

Ravine Guest

"Big name... allowed to speak?" "Let the family mourn?"
    Wait a minute, gang. This was [[supposed to be) a funeral. It seems to me that if Al was there, it wasn't through being "allowed," and if his presence interfered with the family's mourning process, that interference was applied by their own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by punky1 View Post
    Who pays the travel expenses for Al and Jesse? Does this come out of Fieger's pocket?
    They are both multi millionaires. They can pay their own air fare. Neither have ever held a job and have become quite rich making race an issue. Both are a disgrace.

Well stated... the private morning is coming anyway long after the spotlights are off and the microphone plugs pulled and even after Feiger does or does not do his magic too! I hate "show" funerals... but this one would have to be that way. If the family can/ could "stand" it, I can "understand" it. This was a horrible tragedy... A month of youth blood shed. Sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    "Big name... allowed to speak?" "Let the family mourn?"
    Wait a minute, gang. This was [[supposed to be) a funeral. It seems to me that if Al was there, it wasn't through being "allowed," and if his presence interfered with the family's mourning process, that interference was applied by their own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Bing addressed the issue when questioned about it at another event. Which suggests he was making public appearances and had no plans to address the issue.

As far Al Sharpton, it gets worse.

JESSE JACKSON IS COMING WITH HIM.

Excuse me, I have to go throw up now.
    You do know that Jesse Jackson had already planned to be in town for an unrelated event, right?

Hey Al, how about this one you blowhard .....

http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...00524006/1318/

Ravine Guest

Meddle, I don't like Sharpton, either, but just what are you getting at, with that link & your accompanying comment?

He isn't boo-hoo-ing and making speeches over this case because it isn't inflammatory enough for him.

Ravine Guest

OK. It's just that the image in my head was like a stand-up comedian saying, "Hey, Al, we got a million of 'em!!"

Which, sadly, we pretty much do...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    He isn't boo-hoo-ing and making speeches over this case because it isn't inflammatory enough for him.
    Did you read a transcript of his eulogy for Aiyana Stanley-Jone?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Did you read a transcript of his eulogy for Aiyana Stanley-Jone?
    I'd love to read a copy of the transcript. I've been looking online and can't find it.

Incidentally, in our microwave culture, I am finding it increasingly important to read or watch the entirety of speeches and to pore over legislation and official reports in order to get the gist of what's going on. It is hard to form an opinion from just sound bites. I miss the media of my childhood...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2