Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
Great points English ! Just a point of clarification. I favor the type of boarding schools that if a kid is African American, the kid will be around other AA's and not put in a situation where it would be a cultural 180 degrees adjustment . I could see boarding schools within the city limits. Any type of environment that would provide structure and safety. All kids can't handle a Cranbrook. or Country Day

Also, I could see a problem shipping a Detroit kid to Piney Woods MS which a rural area even though Piney Woods is a mostly AA boarding school.

To one of your other points. I do think more than one method will be needed to be used to educate the poorer kids in Detroit.

Also there might need to be a realization, that we cannot deliver on a K-12 education for every student. Maybe we should only guarantee a K-8 education and focus on getting each child a very basic education. Anything beyond 8th grade the kid and the family should have some "skin in the game" .

We need however to have some out of box solutions, because what we are doing is not getting us where we want to be.
You and I are on the same page. I may be kicked out of my field for this, but I agree with you that public education has to morph away from the one size fits all method, and move towards more localized, custom-tailored schooling environments. However, whenever I say this, better and wiser educators than I point out the legal issues involved. We struck down "separate but equal" in the 1950s... so if we wanted to take kids with high math aptitude and put them into a tech boarding school, while putting kids who didn't like sitting still or were disruptive in class into a more kinesthetic friendly environment that taught them other skills, there would be lawsuits in 3... 2...