Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Actually, she said a little more. What she said in the OP link was, "We see it as an enterepreneurial bill. A bill that says to someone, "if you want to be creative, be a musician, or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent or your skill, your passion or your aspiration because you will have health care. You don't have to be job locked."

But you are at least correct in that she did not comment on who was going to fund the health care of such creative people, musicians, or whatever who leave their work. Are we allowed to guess?

Stosh, "Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance." -Nancy Pelosi

Pre-European Polynesia was a bit like that although I'm not sure if the medicine men there billed their services directly to patients or to the local community health service.
    In other words, you believe people should remain beholden to their corporate masters, and banned from purchasing affordable health insurance should they choose to go to work for themselves.

I wonder if the fauxrage would be as great if she'd been talking to, say, investment bankers or MBAs who wanted to go into business for themselves. Guys with resepectable haircuts and suits, that is.

Quote: "I wonder if the fauxrage would be as great if she'd been talking to, say, investment bankers or MBAs"

I wonder if you few would be so apologetic if Bush had made some statement like that. Your ilk cried the loudest when he bailed out wall street with our money. This is no different, except, this is no accident, she is telling people to cease their income, don't worry we'll take care of you.

Quote: "I'd like to hear what Lowell thinks of your low opinion of artists and whether they should have health care or not."

Now you're just trying to start shit. I said it was a risky venture for someone to actually make a living doing it, and the Government should not be getting involved or at least coercing people to delve in to such a career.

Quote: "She's explaining how the new health care law works."

If you want healthcare, you don't even have to work for it, let all them other dumbasses paying taxes that don't care about winning American Idol pay for it.

Quote: "Are we allowed to guess?"

Of course not, The funding source for programs funded 100% by the taxpayers is open to interpretation. That is how I'm gathering it anyway.

Quote: "Now the whole premise is focused on BUYING health care."

Nice wiggle out. How does someone buy anything without a job? If one quits their job, they don't get unemployment benefits. So just how would they "buy" insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I wonder if the fauxrage would be as great if she'd been talking to, say, investment bankers or MBAs"

I wonder if you few would be so apologetic if Bush had made some statement like that. Your ilk cried the loudest when he bailed out wall street with our money. This is no different, except, this is no accident, she is telling people to cease their income, don't worry we'll take care of you.
    My ilk? What "ilk" do you think I am? The kind that calls out lies and propaganda and doesn't appreciate being talked down to?
    Bush? What does he have to do with this? He never made a statement like that because he never gave a crap about anyone's health care.
    Bailouts? What does any of this have to do with Pelosi's speech? Way to change the subject.
    And again, the quote was "you'll have health care," not "don't worry we'll take care of you."

If you want healthcare, you don't even have to work for it, let all them other dumbasses paying taxes that don't care about winning American Idol pay for it.
    Hey, I'm too old for "American Idol," but I like that plan. Where do I sign up? You obviously know.
    The funding source for programs funded 100% by the taxpayers is open to interpretation.
    What programs are these of which you speak? Police, libraries, roads?

Again- musicians do work and they pay taxes. For every well known name, there are dozens playing in clubs and bars. Every night there is live music somewhere. I'm sure the number making a living at it is higher than you think.

These are the two related statements Nancy made.

From the link in the OP:

"We see it as an enterepreneurial bill. A bill that says to someone, "if you want to be creative, be a musician, or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent or your skill, your passion or your aspiration because you will have health care. You don't have to be job locked."

elsewhere Nancy said:

"Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance."

Sure, a lot of musicians buy their own health care insurance but Nancy didn't seem to be addressing them. She was instead addressing those creative types who were job locked and worrying about keeping their day jobs, in the past, and are now free to leave their work because they otherwise have health care.

Even my kid understood what Nancy was saying. Some years ago he was taking us on a campus tour. He pointed to the new fine arts building and said, "That's where people go to learn how to be poor." Nancy is pointing out the obvious. That with the new health care legislation, everyone is covered. From each according to their ability to each according to their means.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Again- musicians do work and they pay taxes. For every well known name, there are dozens playing in clubs and bars. Every night there is live music somewhere. I'm sure the number making a living at it is higher than you think.
    Then, its settled, these rock stars don't need the government handouts and they could quit their day jobs even if health care had never passed. According to you, struggling artist/musician is just an image create by artists and musicians.

Pelosi's most laughable one was her saying during the debates that now people could change jobs without having to worry about losing health care. While I know people afraid to change employers because they would fail a pre-employent drug test, I have never in my entire life ever meet a real person that was afraid changing jobs would cost them their employer provided health care.

But to those of us that don't live in the la-la-lollipop land some silver spooned politicians have had the opportunity live in, why would someone that had employer provided health care quit their job for a one that didn't? Should they also ask for a lower salary and no 401k matching? Which employer health care program says that they'll cover every employee except these two or three? For crying out loud, do we need a Constitutional amendment requiring that every politician has had to have at least one real job in their entire lives? Isn't it enough that a useful education isn't required?

If I were a business owner, the only job I can think of where I could possibly use someone of Pelosi's education and experience is congressional briber, I mean lobbyist. Her background and experience is just as useless to me as a taxpayer.

Stosh Guest

Pelosi's most laughable one was her saying during the debates that now people could change jobs without having to worry about losing health care. While I know people afraid to change employers because they would fail a pre-employent drug test, I have never in my entire life ever meet a real person that was afraid changing jobs would cost them their employer provided health care.
    Three words:
    Pre existing conditions.

Hah, the government will not penalize for Pre existing conditions! The government is good and benevolent, only the nasty private health insurances do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Three words:
    Pre existing conditions.

I'm not a three word catch phrase kind of guy. You'll never convince me of anything in three words. I like to hear a whole idea expressed as a full thought. Parrots can repeat three words. People should be required to do more.

Yes, some insurers do not allow those without prior coverage to inititate an individual policy after they discover their new found need for it, but have you ever met a person denied employer-based group coverage for a pre-existing condition? Pelosi was referring to insured people afraid of losing it, not the me first that want to file for it ten minutes after learning their smoking has given them lung cancer.

Stosh Guest

To BOTH the above posters... That is one of the provisions of the health care bill, that you cannot be denied for pre existing conditions.

My daughter had a baby recently. She was subsequently hounded from her job AND her insurance by her employer, when they found that she was going to have to have her thyroid out. Too expensive for their tastes, so out she goes. There's more than one way to skin a cat, guys.

My niece was denied coverage, she has arthritis. She has never missed a day of work in her life, and works two jobs, but has been denied insurance because of her disclosure.

Nancy Pelosi did not say what the original poster said she did. She didn't. Does that mean anything to you people?

This health bill sucks in a major way, but it does provide for people who have been turned down or who fear being turned down.

I have ... I have also known many people who wont take jobs because of losing benefits...I know people who seek out programs for rehab. who are turnned away because of funding ....sorry real people real stories... I know we would like to believe that HC isn't something we are entitled to, but when people are making decisions about life with or without it...it becomes the essential part of any job...

People who are healthy work [[when the econonmy is "what" healthy...umm correlation?) and those who don't work due to illness or chronic conditions don't spend as much...correlation? so why not promote healthy socities ...maybe then you can increase productivity...if one recalls history...thats why some corporations provided HC for their employees...all be it under the company store model...at least they realized healthy workers healthy productivity....well healthy country...healthy bottom line...why send someone to the hospital when a General practice would due?

Orf writes, "Nancy Pelosi did not say what the original poster said she did. She didn't. Does that mean anything to you people?"
    What the OP said:
    Pelosi: "Quit your job, taxpayers will provide your healthcare"

What Nancy actually said in the OP's linked video:
    "We see it as an enterepreneurial bill. A bill that says to someone, "if you want to be creative, be a musician, or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent or your skill, your passion or your aspiration because you will have health care. You don't have to be job locked."

If you quit your job or leave your work, you will have health care is what she is saying. Orf, you are correct. She did not say that taxpayers will provide your health care if you leave your work. So who do you think will provide that healthcare in the absence of taxpayers?

Then, its settled, these rock stars don't need the government handouts and they could quit their day jobs even if health care had never passed. According to you, struggling artist/musician is just an image create by artists and musicians.
    It's not a government handout if they are also paying taxes. I didn't say there aren't any that are struggling. My point was that there are more earning money or earning a living than the small percentage Sstashmoo thinks. He was equating pursuing the arts with being unemployed and not paying taxes. Not true.

My point was that there are more earning money or earning a living than the small percentage Sstashmoo thinks
    currently like 8.9 out of 10 people?

Ain't it funny how the Usual Band of Free Marketeers wants to keep people locked in jobs they no longer wish to keep, just so they can go see a doctor when they need to do so?

Doesn't sound very "free-market" to me!

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    I have never in my entire life ever meet a real person that was afraid changing jobs would cost them their employer provided health care.
    I know several

But see, rb, those people you know aren't "real people", as subjectively defined by gibran.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I'd like to hear what Lowell thinks of your low opinion of artists and whether they should have health care or not."

Now you're just trying to start shit. I said it was a risky venture for someone to actually make a living doing it, and the Government should not be getting involved or at least coercing people to delve in to such a career.
    See how that works? Now let's see how this plays out when it ceases to be abstract, and becomes concrete, with real live examples. I notice that you seem incapable of answering the real life example that I provided as well, which was:

My daughter had a baby recently. She was subsequently hounded from her job AND her insurance by her employer, when they found that she was going to have to have her thyroid out. Too expensive for their tastes, so out she goes. There's more than one way to skin a cat, guys
    So, try that on for size.

Oh I forgot. You are incapable of rational thought. My bad.
    Last edited by Stosh; May-21-10 at 08:25 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast