Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Professor, I don't think it would ever get too rough to run a water taxi along the lake and river shore from, say, New Baltimore to downtown. Docking facilities, channel dredging, and parking would be the big hurdles. Most of the harbors along the St Clair Shore tend to be shallow and some are not navigable at extreme low water. The winter of course would put a complete stop to the service.

Conceptually, a service New Baltimore, Mt Clemens, St Clair Shores, a couple of Grosse Pointe stops, Belle Isle mainland side, and foot of Woodward would be attractive, but certainly not economic.

i like the idea.. i also think it would be a great way to connect windsor and detroit, its so tedious to take the tunnel bus over, it can take anywhere for 45min to over 1.5hrs.. I think windsorites and detroiters should have a water taxi to offer downtown to downtown service in a timely fashon.

There are a couple of companies offering taxi and shuttle services between montreal and the south shore suburbs. There are also some cool zodiac rides at the Lachine rapids. This point at the south western edge of the island was the one physical barrier that kept big ships from moving west before the StLawrence seaway was built. Its nice for folks living in cold climates to enjoy these ways of traveling in the warmer months.

Water taxis would probably be feasible tonight as my street is approaching a foot of water.

Historically speaking water ferries are nothing new to Detroit. Ribbon farms were created so that farmers could each have a piece of waterfront since the river was the only viable method of transportation to fort Detroit and various grist mills. In the mid 1800's Jefferson was a plank toll road. which was frequently under water due to swampy conditions. French locals would run canoe ferries to rescue stranded citizens when the road was underwater. In the 1880's as rich folk started buying up property in the pointes there were three river taxis, two privately owned and the third collectively owned, the dock was paid for by all the owners and was close to Moross. The Dodge brothers also had a dock at roughly Alter.

Assuming a modest start to the Ferry service GP to downtown. I would contract with the boat clubs, they have parking and dockage, also contract with Sinbads or the Roostertail since they have the same dockage and parking.

Actually Professor I could write a pretty solid detailed business plan if you like and you could present it to your advisory group.

Sumas,

If you can create a good business plan for such a thing, the best person to send it to would be Carmine Palombo at SEMCOG - if he thinks it's viable, he'll pass it up the chain of command. [[And I'll hear about it.)

Prof. Scott

Ive often thought that we should have a ferry boat running people from Detroit to Windsor, I bet Ceasors would pick up the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby wobby View Post
    Ive often thought that we should have a ferry boat running people from Detroit to Windsor, I bet Ceasors would pick up the tab.
    There were a lot of ferry boats taking people from Detroit to Windsor and vice versa. We also had ferry boats taking people [[and cars) from Hampton to Norfolk and vice versa. We had a ferry boat shuttling people and cars across the Straits of Mackinac. They couldn't compete financially with bridges and tunnels.

Speaking of Diamond Jack's river tours, their public tours started this past weekend running from both Rivard Plaza Detroit and Wyandotte...

Another consideration not mentioned is that, typically, using watercraft to transport people produces a great deal of pollution. Which is, in my opinion, another strike against it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwmUYVrxaI

My first post, wheee! [[I just discovered this forum yesterday.)

I think this is a fantastic idea especially from June-Sep. As a northeast suburbanite, I would use it to get downtown for festivals! I work downtown and know my way around well enough for parking, etc. [[I've only been in the area about 5 yrs and working downtown a little over 2 yrs.) but rarely bother to come downtown for evenings and weekends. Taking advantage of a water taxi in the summer months just might encourage me, and others, to get downtown more often.

I just did the Diamond Jack's tour this past Saturday and I thoroughly recommend it for newbies to Detroit as well as lifelongs. It was interesting, fun and relaxing. And the price wasn't bad either, IMO, for a couple hours of sailing. My husband, who has lived in Detroit all his life, really enjoyed seeing Detroit from a river perspective and also reminiscing when the boat operator shared some historical information of certain sites along the waterfront. FYI, I noticed on their website yesterday that they are offering a coupon so you can take their tour for $10 during the month of June.

Great idea!

I would be happy just settling for ferries to cross the river again. It is absolutely stupid that we cannot cross as pedestrians between our two cities.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I would be happy just settling for ferries to cross the river again. It is absolutely stupid that we cannot cross as pedestrians between our two cities.
    customs?

immigration?

The ferry would require a staffed terminal at either end.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You could just hop aboard Transit Windsor instead of using a ferry. I've done it. It provides the same service but by a different mode.

I hate Transit Windsor and I find it dumb that I have to get back on the bus AFTER customs just to go another block. Plus its a ball-ache with a bike.

As for customs and crap they had it before so why not again?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2