Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think she is a very "talented young woman".It's sad how people jumped to the conclusion that she is Muslim.Or not.Who cares.She went into this contest aware of what it is and means.She must have known that the stripper pole contest photos were out there.She was good with it then,I'm good with it now.HOT!

Sarah on The Ticket morning show, who worked on the Mojo show at the time of the pole dancing contest, was talking about it. It was all women of all ages taking a pole dancing clinic for fun. At the end of the clinic, they had a contest. There were no men there, and they were all wearing more clothes than the Miss America contestants are wearing in their profile pictures. It's a total non-issue, but of course people will try to sensationalize it as much as possible. Oh, and pangeants are really f@#&ing stupid in the first place.

Oh, and pangeants are really f@#&ing stupid in the first place.
    Yes and so are pole dancing clinics.

From Wikipedia:

She is a graduate of the University of Michigan–Dearborn, with degrees in economics and business management, and plans to attend law school after her year-long reign.
    Well, that's nice. At least she didn't mention actor, TV anchorwoman or Gov. of Alaska, the typical pagent winner pursuits.
    Last edited by Pam; May-18-10 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yes and so are pole dancing clinics.

Agreed, and yet I think I'd still put a pole dancing class ahead of pageantry on the list of respectable pursuits. One is just for fun. The other is some bizarre ritual of public acceptance and acknowledgement that has more in common with a livestock auction than anything else.

"Here she comes! Here she comes!"

A lady who was a devout Christian that I knew taught pole-dancing in Ypsi. She encouraged me to take the class. Said it was fun, all ladies, and great for strength and agility. I was too busy at the time, but who knows.

I don't think that pole dancing says anything untoward about a person if they keep their clothes on and don't go home with anyone. The number of ways that an innocent woman can be labeled "a slut" all over the world are legion, and this is just one of them. The only way that a woman can avoid this label is to cover up from neck to ankles and never say or do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The only way that a woman can avoid this label is to cover up from neck to ankles and never say or do anything.
    That's right, so let that be a lesson to you!!

Ms. Schlussel...needs to look into the mirror and see how much her bias is showing....

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    That's right, so let that be a lesson to you!!
    LOL! A lady never kisses and tells!

Rima is a pretty girl, and likely no more outrageous in her behavior than a lot of young women her age these days. Unless we learn she did something crazier than pole dance for a radio contest, she should be allowed to keep her crown.

First and foremost, in this country a beauty contestant shouldn't feel obligated to claim any faith. My wife who is of Lebanese decent, and like myself an atheist, mentioned the hypocracy of claiming a religion yet immodestly parading sex-sexuality. I read an article in that latest edition of the Arab American News about a group of young protesters in Lebanon who want a return to civil law in Lebanon. A 'Sheik' recently shut down a nightclub, which sparked the protest. In order to have a civil wedding without religion couples have to marry in Cypriot. Muslims cant adopt..Maronite Christians cant marry Muslims [[shia?) from the south, or rather it is discouraged or prohibited cant remember exactly...there are 18 religions in the country bickering and feuding...on the other hand from what I am told there are nightclubs...there is legalized prostitution.....some gay clubs from what Im told...

Anyways shes hot.....dark complected-exotic...

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    Ms. Schlussel...needs to look into the mirror and see how much her bias is showing....
    Agreed. That woman starts to twitch and froth at the mouth every time anything remotely Arab or Muslim is in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Seriously nice news, I watch little TV and did not watch this contest. Michigan has a large Arab population and seeing a woman of Arabic descent win is encouraging.
    If I remember correctly Dearborn has the largest population outside of respective homelands.

She's hot too.

Debbie Schlussel, Southfield High class of 1986.

The Barbie comment brought a smile to my face. I had all those dolls growing up, Barbie, Ken, Skipper, Midge etc. It wasn't until I was twenty or so that I realized that was so fake. Late bloomer I guess.

The nicest compliment in my life was someone thought an employee of mine was my daughter. She was Hispanic and drop dead gorgeous. I am neither, being Welsh, Russian and German.

My best wishes to this winner. Her religion is none of my business!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Our favorite non-shellfish eater Debbie Schlussel ...
    What does not eating shellfish have to do with anything?

Shellfish is not kosher.Debbie Schlussel used to be on with Mark Scott,WXYZ/T back in the 80s/90s.I first heard of her as a caller,then she may have had a guest segment.I think she ran for county commisioner or school board,I can recll seeing her signs up in Commerce Twp.Rima is still smoking hot,as a pole dancer or Miss USA!

I'd still like to know why any of this is an issue for the ranters. Marlo Thomas is Lebanese and is widely accepted as an honorable member of society and she has been for decades. Danny Thomas was hugely popular long before Marlo was born. Do the rightwingers like Schlussel avoid St. Judes Hospital because of Lebanese spokespersons?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'd still like to know why any of this is an issue for the ranters. Marlo Thomas is Lebanese and is widely accepted as an honorable member of society and she has been for decades. Danny Thomas was hugely popular long before Marlo was born. Do the rightwingers like Schlussel avoid St. Judes Hospital because of Lebanese spokespersons?
    Because the Thomas's were Christian/Catholic

Congrats to her. She is a beautiful woman with some smarts also. I care less that she danced with or infront of a pole in shorts shorts.. The pics from the pageant are far more alluring. Detroit/Dearborn should be very proud, she has already talked up the area in various interviews.

Rima Fakih's beauty pageant sash declares that she is Miss USA, but journalists want to find other labels for her.

Questions about Fakih's ethnic and religious identity have been nearly as frequent as questions about photos of her dancing against a stripper's pole.

"I'd like to say I'm American first, and I am an Arab-American," Fakih said. "I am Lebanese-American, and I am Muslim-American."

Fakih, 24, was born in Lebanon, but her family moved to New York when she was 7 years old. She later moved to Michigan, where she went to college.

The rarity of a woman born in the Middle East representing the United States in the Miss Universe pageant spurred internet buzz. One rumor was that Fakih had family connections to Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite group that the U.S. designates as a terrorist organization.

"Absolutely not," Fakih told CNN's Octavia Nasr. "That is a stereotype and a prejudiced statement made by only one reporter who had made that title before I was crowned Miss USA."

The blogger's accusation "was completely made up out of her own prejudiced mind," she said.

Contrary to some reports, she said, her family did not live in Southern Lebanon, the hub of Hezbollah.

"We lived in the mountain area of Lebanon, which is predominantly Christian-based," she said. "The majority of my family is diverse. It's Muslim and Christian."

Fakih said religion should not be a question for Miss USA winners.

"Religion does not identify me, I would like to say that," she said. "My family is more of a spiritual family rather than religious. We've never been religious, we've been never known to be religious, and on top of everything, we celebrate Christmas."

Fakih attended a Catholic high school in New York, she said.

"We are Muslim," she said. "However, we appreciate and admire all faiths."

The reaction to Fakih's selection was cause for celebration for many in Lebanon, a country she visited just a few months ago.

"I want them to know that the United States is not what they see on TV," she said. "It is still a country of freedom and opportunity."

Fakih said she has been invited to visit Lebanon and meet with leaders there, including President Michel Suleiman.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/21...-label/?hpt=C2

:: Snickers ::

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...SA-key-to-city

I attended the ceremony where she was given the key to the city.. she's even more pretty in person.. after the formal ceremony, she took photographs with people who showed up..

Any hubbub about her being Muslim is an embarassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I attended the ceremony where she was given the key to the city..
    Did they get a picture of you?

http://detroit.metromix.com/events/p...059833/content

Tell us you're not the blonde with the big fake smile, big fake eyes and big fake boo ....

Didn't even make the Top 15 cut.

Wonder if her recent comments on New York did her in?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Didn't even make the Top 15 cut.

Wonder if her recent comments on New York did her in?
    I doubt it. She was facing some serious competition. On stage with Miss Mexico, Miss Jamaica and Miss Philippines was asking a lot for Miss USA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast