Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default The smartest thing Ms. Conyers said

In the Free Press there is an article about this morning Pancakes and Politics breakfast and something that Ms. Conyers said got me thinking.

"Conyers also said she believes abandoned buildings in the city should be converted to outlet stores and that term limits should be instituted for the Detroit City Council, mayor and school board."

I'm focused on the term limits though abandoned buildings is a serious concern for the city.

Should Detroit go to term limits for the mayor, city council and school board as Conyers had suggested?

I was never a supported of tem limits but after seeing the actions of politicians in Washington and here in Detroit, I am convinced that we have too many career politicians. What do you think?

Here is the link to the story.....http://www.freep.com/article/2009042...ical+breakfast

There should have been term limits during the CAY days. Detroit would be a different place right now.

Retroit Guest

It seems to be the only check we have on "name-recognition" voters.

Kind of sad that we have to protect ourselves from our own stupidity.

I am firmly against term limits. They create way more problems than they solve, because politics is all about relationships.

If you don't have years to build up these relationships, you always get a bunch of idealogues. Not that Detroit doesn't have them now, but frankly, it's sorta insulting to democracy to impose such limits.

If we want a council person, we should keep them as long as we want. Even if it's her.

Now, the other idea about the buildings, I think she's AOK on. I'm still pissed that government agencies are holding onto retail spaces and not actively filling them with something. Empty is bad.

The downside of term limits for any office is this: What if someone was elected that was absolutely fantastic, in their elected position, only to be removed by term limits and replaced with someone not even near qualified. More persons seek office that are not as qualified as some. When you get a good one, you want to keep that person.

Supporters of term limits should spend some time in Lansing observing the Legislature. Part of the problem there is that they are such ridiculously short term limits - reps haven't learned their way around town by the time they're term limited. But in any form, they create a lot of havoc. And corruption and complacency are going to occur no matter what if we elect the wrong people.

Voters can get rid of a politician by voting him out of office. Term limits is a poor excuse for voters not doing their jobs.
    I doubt there are enough outlet places for all the abandoned buildings in Detroit. After city codes, licenses, etc who could afford to do that?
    I think both ideas aren't well thought out.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

On the one hand, you have inexperienced politicians attempted to enact policy on the fly and on the other hand you have career politicians who really serve no one interests because they become a known name who will keep getting reelected over and over again.

For those who opposes term limits, think of a politician like a sports team. A sports team have only so many years before they have to replace the parts to stay competitive. A politician can only have so many years of fresh ideas before they go stale. My choice: I prefer fresh bread compared to moldy green bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    The downside of term limits for any office is this: What if someone was elected that was absolutely fantastic, in their elected position, only to be removed by term limits and replaced with someone not even near qualified. More persons seek office that are not as qualified as some. When you get a good one, you want to keep that person.
    dog, i heard an explanation one time that went like this: term limits are not about "a person," per se. term limits exist to turn over the staff that support a given politician - and sometimes become an even bigger, more deeply entrenched political force on their own.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    In the Free Press there is an article about this morning Pancakes and Politics breakfast and something that Ms. Conyers said got me thinking.

"Conyers also said she believes abandoned buildings in the city should be converted to outlet stores and that term limits should be instituted for the Detroit City Council, mayor and school board."

I'm focused on the term limits though abandoned buildings is a serious concern for the city.

Should Detroit go to term limits for the mayor, city council and school board as Conyers had suggested?

I was never a supported of tem limits but after seeing the actions of politicians in Washington and here in Detroit, I am convinced that we have too many career politicians. What do you think?

Here is the link to the story.....http://www.freep.com/article/2009042...ical+breakfast
    Oh Dearie, haven't you learned by now that anything out of her mouth is just plain wrong?

Well I don't know about anything. ^^

Cockrel does kind of look like Shrek

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Oh Dearie, haven't you learned by now that anything out of her mouth is just plain wrong?
    Well you got me there.....

Actually the smartest thing she's ever said was "I do" to John. For her at least, it's been a nightmare for the rest of us.

Just to jump in with the term limit discussion-They were first introduced when many thought it would get rid of the "career politicians". Career politicians have gone anywhere. They just play musical chairs. Why are Burton Leland & Gary Woronchak on the Wayne County Commission? They got term limited out of the House.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Just to jump in with the term limit discussion-They were first introduced when many thought it would get rid of the "career politicians". Career politicians have gone anywhere. They just play musical chairs. Why are Burton Leland & Gary Woronchak on the Wayne County Commission? They got term limited out of the House.
    Yes, you hit it. Thats how these career politicans get around term limits.
    Probably the house term limits should be revised , I believe its 3 2year terms. If we don't get rid of term limits maybe something between 8 and 12 years depending on the office might work a little better.