Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

You guys can bicker all you want, but I'm going to choose to remember a little girl who's life ended too early. I happened to know her father. He absolutely adored her, and spared no expense to give her the angel treatment she deserved. I only saw her in passing a couple times, but each time I dropped him off she was right there waiting for daddy. I hope the community reaches out to comfort this family. They are very good people.

Amen. Well stated...
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    You guys can bicker all you want, but I'm going to choose to remember a little girl who's life ended too early. I happened to know her father. He absolutely adored her, and spared no expense to give her the angel treatment she deserved. I only saw her in passing a couple times, but each time I dropped him off she was right there waiting for daddy. I hope the community reaches out to comfort this family. They are very good people.

Buy American Guest

Does anybody on this thread actually believe that the officer wanted to shoot this child? It's horrific that this happened, but I could never believe that a DPD officer would do this intentionally...it was an accident...for whatever reason [[was the woman struggling with the officer)?
    This is no excuse, but when you look at statistics in Detroit of drive-bys where children have been shot through windows, while sitting on a couch or in bed, by gang thugs seeking retaliation....that happens much more than an incident like the one this morning. Where is the outrage when a thug shoots a child? I don't see it like I see it when a cop is involved.!

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Does anybody on this thread actually believe that the officer wanted to shoot this child? It's horrific that this happened, but I could never believe that a DPD officer would do this intentionally...it was an accident...for whatever reason [[was the woman struggling with the officer)?
    This is no excuse, but when you look at statistics in Detroit of drive-bys where children have been shot through windows, while sitting on a couch or in bed, by gang thugs seeking retaliation....that happens much more than an incident like the one this morning. Where is the outrage when a thug shoots a child? I don't see it like I see it when a cop is involved.!

of course no one thinks he did it intentionally, of course it was an accident, but so is the case where some idiot leaves a loaded gun in reach of a 5 year old and some kid accidently gets shot....

and why the outrage, because police are supposed to be people you trust in, people you would never think something reckless and careless like this would ever happen with.... with thugs gangs its business as usual, you know to stay away from thug gangs..... cops... well, maybe think twice......

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Story isn't complete yet. All I know for a fact is this poor girl died. Rest in peace, Aiyana.

This story is now on CNN's main page.
    Thanks REL. Every time I tried to type a response to this thread, I was less than polite. You've said exactly what I wanted to say.

lilpup Guest

Cops hunting down a cold blooded killer deserve all the support possible. Blame the murder suspect for exposing his family to the risks.

What the fuck kind of civilian intentionally commits murder then goes home to their family?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Cops hunting down a cold blooded killer deserve all the support possible. Blame the murder suspect for exposing his family to the risks.

What the fuck kind of civilian intentionally commits murder then goes home to their family?
    Sorry, I can't support the killing of a 7 year old kid ,under any circumstances. But where did you get your information that the suspected killer was a part of their family? All of the information that I've read and seen on TV indicated that the suspect that the police were after was in the apartment upstairs from the little girl's family. But nothing that indicated their related [[not that it makes a difference). Please share.

Seems like a lot of people here think that the officer pulled the weapon out and intentionally aimed and shot this girl. From what I've read the gun went off accidentally and in a few stories it states that the 46 year old woman grabbed the gun, which depending on how she grabbed it could have caused it to discharge. Everyone likes to complain about the cops, especially in Detroit, but if you didn't have them you'd be in a whole world of crap.

This shit is just BAD, all the way around. Bad judgement, bad circumstances, bad timing, bad outcome. No matter how much we take sides and argue about this, or who ends up being at fault, the fact is this child died at the hands of GROWN ADULTS. She never had a chance, because there are so many ways this situation could have gone wrong. Many of the people involved in this incident have some fault to bear and I can guarenfuckintee that none of these individuals will pay the penalty that will fit the crime. THAT, my friends, is what we should be getting worked up about. Remember, this could have happened to any of our children.

I'm so sorry you were failed Aiyana. I can't even begin to fathom what your family is going through.

I would like to have a moratorium on any form of raids.

Individuals have to leave the building at some point.

This gung-ho military-style policing is doing us NO GOOD AT ALL.

Indeed, it is serving up the very opposite result that any of us intend.

With two raids, our society is further backwards than ever...and we lost one good police officer and one very innocent young lady.

I say wait 'em out...get them another way, another day.

If no more flashbang war materials are ever ordered by our police department, I would be very happy. If the VERY failed War on Drugs ended tomorrow, I would rejoice in amazement.

And don't get me started on the prohibition thing...the MOMENT alcohol prohibition ended, Elliot Ness had to find another job...and the extreme violence of that era was OVER.

That can happen again, the moment all drugs are made legal and available through reasonable sources for reasonable prices...taking the criminal element, especially the CIA-sponsored and supported ones...out of the picture.

Perhaps then this innocent girl and Officer Huff will not have died in vain.

^^^ SRT does get a bit overzealous at times, no doubt.

This one will get tons of national attention:

The chain of events was triggered at 3 p.m. Friday with the shooting death of Jarean Blake, 17, a student at Southeastern High School in Detroit.

He was gunned down "in particularly brutal fashion in front of a store -- and in front of his girlfriend," Godbee said in a statement.

Investigators identified the suspect as a 34-year-old man and obtained a search warrant for a home on Lillibridge, on Detroit's east side.

"Because of the ruthless and violent nature of the suspect in this case, it was determined that it would be in the best interest of public safety to execute the search warrant as soon as possible," Godbee said in a statement.

Outside the home, the department's special response team was prepared to go in. Film crews with A&E's "The First 48" reality show, which follows police departments nationwide during the crucial 48 hours after a homicide is committed, were taping the team for a documentary. Police spokesman John Roach said the tapes will be reviewed as part of the investigation.

Updated information here: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    What the **** kind of civilian intentionally commits murder then goes home to their family?
    Most of them. And they usually get support from the families to hide them or to escape capture.

It's on the national wires. CNN and AP have both picked it up.

Odd that Detroit is in the top news of the day for both very good [[Miss USA) and very bad stories.

It was not an apartment, it was a duplex home [[upper and lower flat as they are known) of which there are many in Detroit. Especially on the west side.

These home usually have two address numbers on the building... some have a central front door, that leades to a hall way with the down stairs door right there and a stair case going up to the second floor seperate door. Some have two front outer doors.

I am not sure of the details but it appears the police went straight for the downstairs tenants, per that photo of the broken window... not sure why this happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    i feel sorry for all the people living in multi-tenant apartment buildings.... its open fire on anyone under the same roof i guess......

Yep, and with the economic situation there are more people living together in single and duplex dwellings and apartments. And it could be the case that the family does not know that the person there has committed a criminal act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Most of them. And they usually get support from the families to hide them or to escape capture.

^^^ SRT does get a bit overzealous at times, no doubt.

This one will get tons of national attention:

Updated information here: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

Not to say that they've never used them, but this is the first time that I've heard of the Detroit Police using a flash grenade. Of course, it's entirely possible that they've used them before and we haven't heard about it, or it could be in reaction to Officer Huff's death. I just hope it wasn't done for dramatic effect for a TV show.

Oh, they use flashbangs for sure. Have for many years.

They used to use tear gas canisters until they set a few buildings on fire with them.

It's on the national wires. CNN and AP have both picked it up.

Odd that Detroit is in the top news of the day for both very good [[Miss USA) and very bad stories.
    MsUSA is from Dearborn not Detroit.

No such thing as an accidental shooting, first off. Any professional... ahem... shootist will tell you that that finger don't go on to the trigger until you intend to shoot.

Simply poor training resulting in lack of discipline with that shootin' digit.

By the way, the FBI oversight of DPD has been grossly ineffective. Where is their accountability in the whole mess that has become weekly tragedy in the City?

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    No such thing as an accidental shooting, first off. Any professional... ahem... shootist will tell you that that finger don't go on to the trigger until you intend to shoot.

Simply poor training resulting in lack of discipline with that shootin' digit.

By the way, the FBI oversight of DPD has been grossly ineffective. Where is their accountability in the whole mess that has become weekly tragedy in the City?

Great point. Great point. First the City is assigned, and spends a ton of money, on a Monitor that ends up being one of Kwame's freaks. And now, with everything that's going on, we haven't heard so much as a peep from the monitors.

Wow, this will not end well.

The victim's family said police told them the gun discharged because the girl's grandmother, Mertilla Jones, 46, grappled for the officer's weapon. Later Sunday, police spokesman John Roach said the officer and grandmother may have simply collided.
    Mertilla Jones was released from custody Sunday afternoon, and it remained unclear if she will face charges. Police held her for more than 12 hours, during which time she also spent several hours hospitalized with what police said were medical issues.
    At a press conference in front of the home Sunday evening, Mertilla Jones said there was no struggle: "I hit the floor when I heard them hit the window.

Uh-oh.......

The aunt of the deceased child is engaged to the accused murderer that the police were seeking. This is going to be bizarre if the police discover that any of the family members were involved with the killing of the 17 year old.

Lilpup, no need to respond to my question, if you were planning to, I saw the information that you were referencing. The suspect was the fiance of the little girl's aunt.

A SWAT entrance makes for great TV. Makes you wonder if the presence of the First 48 show had any influence on the choice to enter in that way? Is that SOP for the DPD when trying to secure the arrest of wanted murderers? It might have been more boring TV to stake out the house and wait for the guy to leave. But it's likely that it wouldn't have resulted in innocent civilians being in the line of fire.

Novine, all I can tell you is that my dad was a Detroit cop for 37 years and they made what you call 'SWAT entrances' long before there was a SWAT. He was on the force from 36-73 and if there was a need for it they surrounded the house in full riot gear and entered on command through doors, windows or holes in the wall. It wasn't for TV, because they weren't being filmed. They did what they had to do to apprehend whoever they were after.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast