Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Detroit Record Stores of the Past

Where did you buy your records when you were growing up??

What were the best record stores in Detroit in the 60', 70's and 80's???

Bought my first LP at Ross Music Shop, at Eastland. Shopped at Hudson's there, too, but that was because I liked a girl who worked there. Ross had more of the English Invasion groups that I liked, and the proprietor, Bob[[?) was hip and full of stories about rock n roll.
    Later, I liked Dearborn Music, then Mixed Media...

70's and 80's???
    Sam's Jams in Ferndale.

Miracle Mart and Korvette's.

For the longest time on the westside, the coolest shop to drop into and hang out for a while was Peaches Records and Tapes...a chain based out of Georgia, hence the name. Schaefer Highway just north of Michigan Avenue.

They kept late hours on Friday and Saturday, and had a decidedly hip atmosphere...informed employees...and highlighted albums would have their covers reproduced in six-feet square renderings high up on the wall.

The local Tech Hifi took care of the audio system...and the old manager's name was Jim Taylor...before the album covers they did silk-screened banners, and ol' Jim left behind the James Taylor purple-on-yellow promotional banner...that I've kept since 1981.

Tough to imagine that is has been around longer than some of my city friends...

Cheers, if anyone still has any of those crates from Peaches...I'd be interested in buying at least three or four of them...for ol' times' sake, now that I'm back into vinyl with a vengeance.

Analog is simply better than digital...at conveying the spirit of a recording and carrying the listener into the performance.

Stosh Guest

I'm n ot so sure that analog is so superior to digital.
    What I feel is really superior is a good tube stereo amp. Fisher preferably.

Korvettes, now that brings back memories. My dad me there once a week, record department only, where he would buy his precious classical albums and later cassettes. Then we went on our weekly trip in mid 60's and i brought something home.....The Beatles. He didnt offer to take me on his saturday weekly afternoon journey any more. Bach, Morzart and other classical musicians ruled the "hi-fi" and later stereo console at our house. My precious, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix had to be hidden away, never to be played in our house of classical music.

thanks for the walk down memory lane with my late dad.

Lily

Ward's at 7 and Gratiot, Harmony House and Kresge at Eastland

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Ward's at 7 and Gratiot, Harmony House and Kresge at Eastland
    Wow, we used to shop at the same places! Bought a lot of my Donny Osmond records at Wards. I always thought the layout of that store was odd--the long corridor to get to...where did that lead? Garden Center? I don't remember.

Also, why was there a second Federal's building across the alley from the Gratiot store?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Wow, we used to shop at the same places! Bought a lot of my Donny Osmond records at Wards. I always thought the layout of that store was odd--the long corridor to get to...where did that lead? Garden Center? I don't remember.

Also, why was there a second Federal's building across the alley from the Gratiot store?
    I remember the store, but not the name. let me ask around.
    As to the Federal's annex, I think it was just that, an annex. For overflow and discount stuff, like Hudson's Rainbow store.
    I bought my first bendable Barbie at the Federal toy store.

Bell Records in Old Redford. The very best.

Harmony House, Peaches, and Record Stop/Record Time <-- this store was at Frazho & Gratiot; it had a unique round front window. One of my brothers worked at that store [[it operated under both those names, I think I have them right) for a long time.

We have 4 or 5 crates of vinyl that represent merging my LP collection w/my husband's back in the late 70s when we moved in together. He's begun the tedious process of digitalizing with a converter turntable. I really don't understand when someone talks about the "warmth" of vinyl. I'm not impressed with pops and clicks, personally.

Peaches at Groesbeck and Masonic
    Music Stop in the Eastgate Mall
    Record Time on 10 Mile in East Detroit, then Hewitts Bldg in Roseville, then next to London Calling in Roseville
    Sam's Jams on 9 Mile in Ferndale
    Harmony House in East Detroit at 9 & Gratiot
    Car City Records on Harper in St Clair Shores

Corn.Bot, there was a guy who worked at both Music Stop and then Record Time in the Hewitts Music Bldg on Gratiot. Perhaps that was your brother? Kinda short, blond hair... looked like one of the guys from Styx or something.

Started out at Musicland and later discovered Harmony House - usually went to the Harmony House on Mack & Allard in Grosse Pointe Woods but later got to particularly like the classical store in the GP Village. Harmony House always had the best selections.

I did also go to Korvette's a couple of times - not as much of a selection but they had some good prices!! I still have a few Nat King Cole vinyls purchased from Korvette's that I've since converted to CD.

Shay's in downtown Allen Park, then Arlan's behind Sears in Lincoln Park, Korvettes, Peaches, Dearborn Music, then got in the radio biz and got everything for free, then sold a bunch at Car City when they were on Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Corn.Bot, there was a guy who worked at both Music Stop and then Record Time in the Hewitts Music Bldg on Gratiot. Perhaps that was your brother? Kinda short, blond hair... looked like one of the guys from Styx or something.
    Not entirely sure... bro was/is about 5'8", but he's got brown hair which he wore shoulder-length for awhile. His name is Kenny [[or Ken, since I'm talking like his older sister ). He started as a part-time high-school grunt in the late 70s and was store manager by the early 90s when he finally moved on.

Never did get into buying records cause they were on their way out when I got to my preteen years. When I did buy them it was a Harmony House usually at Wonderland. Got most of my CD'S by mowing the lawn at the old MusicMusic in Garden City.
    At one time back in the 90's there were 3 record stores on Ford Rd in Garden City, with plenty more around the area. Sams Jams in Livonia was a neat place to go, never made it to the Ferndale store.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Never did get into buying records cause they were on their way out when I got to my preteen years. When I did buy them it was a Harmony House usually at Wonderland. Got most of my CD'S by mowing the lawn at the old MusicMusic in Garden City.
    At one time back in the 90's there were 3 record stores on Ford Rd in Garden City, with plenty more around the area. Sams Jams in Livonia was a neat place to go, never made it to the Ferndale store.
    You little Whippersnapper...

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Not entirely sure... bro was/is about 5'8", but he's got brown hair which he wore shoulder-length for awhile. His name is Kenny [[or Ken, since I'm talking like his older sister ). He started as a part-time high-school grunt in the late 70s and was store manager by the early 90s when he finally moved on.
    Yeah, that was him. I think the "blond" I got from the Styx guy, not him.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Yeah, that was him. I think the "blond" I got from the Styx guy, not him.
    How cool is that? I'll have to tell him someone remembers him. Ken still lives/works in the area. He's got more solar panel than hair on his head now, though. Matter of fact, just had a big shindig to-do in Eastpointe to celebrate his 25th wedding anniversary.

There was cunninghans on the corner of 7 mile and vandyke, and next door to the east there was a record store. Bought my first 45's there. Heatwave [[always and forever), Foxy [[Get off), Brick [[aint gonna hurt nobody) and Rufus and Chaka Chan [[Sweet Thing).

I bought my first 45 at Emma Parham's record store on Owen and Oakland. It was not long after that she passed away. Her funeral was the largest I ever witnessed. She taught so many gospel, soul, R&B artists their craft. Many paid tribute to her in song. It felt like the service lasted nearly six hours. I recall the fire marshal having to make allowances for the standing room only crowd at Gt. New Mt. Moriah Baptist Church.

White's Records on Ferry Park. You could jump off the Linwood bus which stopped at the front door, run in and buy that new 45, and race to catch up with the bus.

Name:  20231210_104201.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  92.1 KB

Still guarding the little ones.

Civic Music..Peaches afterwards///civic though was classic

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast