Quote Originally Posted by BillRush View Post
Mikefmich- streetcar on Morang? Going where? My Mom and I caught the Gratiot streetcar for a quivk trip straight downtown and all its wonders includi\ng lunch at the Sanders counter
There's an old thread somewhere in the archives about streets [[or streetcars) on the eastside [[can't find it at the moment).... and it mentioned that before the advent of I-94 in the late 50s/early 60s... that a streetcar endstation/turntable and wait station were located near where EMBO's Market used to be at Harper/Chester/Morang. The streetcar went down Harper, not Morang.

And back then Harper continued eastward for a short while [[later that stretch was renamed Chester).... and the stretch of the Harper that is now I-94 service drive... east of Morang was known as Mt. Clemens Ave... [[heading out into the eastern burbs) and was later renamed Harper.

There have been several street re-alignments and renames in the early to mid 20th century in Detroit. Another one that comes to mind was the realignment of Mack Ave. in midtown. The part of Mack Ave. that ends at Woodward was formerly known as Rowena St.