Well, folks, in two weeks I'll be home to Warrendale after working a year in Afghanistan for the US Army Corps of Engineers. While I've been here, I scour the real estate sites once every couple weeks just to see what amazing houses are being offered for low-low prices. Last summer, I brought to your attention a house in Hubbard Farms selling for $1000, and just last month a 5 bedroom, 3200 sq ft house on La Salle Boulevard selling for $9800 [[it was torched shortly after I started the thread). Well I've found another remarkable house, and what has happened to it angers me.

http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...troit-MI-48206

In pictures 9 and 10, you'll see the fireplaces mantles of 2 different fireplaces have been pried off the wall and wall sconces missing. The thiefs are permanently de-valuing and degrading Detroit's housing stock so thoroughly its sickening. Every single Detroit neighborhood has experienced this - stolen A/C units, aluminum siding ripped off houses, aluminum awnings ripped off houses, replacement vinyl windows and steel doors ripped off houses, yet I don't see the outcry from my fellow residents. These thieves are lowering the value of our own houses my destroying the neighboring ones, and it doesn't seem like anybody's doing anything about it! We're just accepting it.

About 2 years ago, the council was considering several regulations that would have discouraged the stripping of houses, but they never passed anything, and nothing new has been done.

This is something that we can fight [[yes, I am being idealistic). We can raise hell at City Council meetings until they act.