Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

But Lowell's point was critical. MI will lose at least one house seat in the next redistricting following the 2010 census results. I wonder if we may lose two seats thanks to the population loss during Granholm's "stellar" reign on the throne.

I would guess either Conyer's district or whats-her name's will disappear as they are districts losing population in a state losing poplation. Where I live could very well end up in a remaining Detroit district depending on which district/s in Michigan cease to exist.

With no disrespect to Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick; her career has been lengthy, but I think it’s time for a fresh face with some new ideas and Hansen Clark just might be the one to make a positive change in the City! He’s got some progressive ideas that could help us move forward in a positive light!
    Change is not always bad, especially when our elected officials seem to get the big picture twisted when it comes to the needs of the City and it’s residents.

I am very skeptical about the unseating of CCK. A good portion of her voters are on the receiving end of government aid and she seems to be good at demonstrating she is for giving them their freebies. Just go to her website or watch her imitation town hall meetings. Its all about giveaways and freebies.

http://kilpatrick.house.gov/index2.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Another cheers here for your comments, Gannon.

The biggest challenge I see to getting CCK out of office is people getting out to vote. While people in my city of Harper Woods were bellyaching over CCK's survival in the primary they seemed to ignore that only I believe 18% of Harper Woods voters participated. I am apt to vote Republican, but I have, do, and will vote Democrat in any election and those of any party wanting CCK out need to vote in the primary election. No other party is going to win the general election for this seat anyway.
    Bartock,

You are pointing to one of the main reasons CCK has been able to hold onto her seat for so long. In the primary, one can vote in only a single party election. If you vote Democratic in the congressional election, you can't vote Republican in the governor's race, or Libertarian in the State House race.

The result is that if Republicans in GP or Harper Woods want to have a say in the Governor's race between Cox, Hoekstra, Bousard or the tough Nerd they can't vote for Hansen Clarke.

In the general election you can split your votes all over the place, but the primary is kind of a closed shop.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[wyr...hlight=primary

Four years after he died and we're still trying to shut down his machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Bartock,

You are pointing to one of the main reasons CCK has been able to hold onto her seat for so long. In the primary, one can vote in only a single party election. If you vote Democratic in the congressional election, you can't vote Republican in the governor's race, or Libertarian in the State House race.

The result is that if Republicans in GP or Harper Woods want to have a say in the Governor's race between Cox, Hoekstra, Bousard or the tough Nerd they can't vote for Hansen Clarke.

In the general election you can split your votes all over the place, but the primary is kind of a closed shop.

To add to that because of the political makeup of CCK's district winning the democratic primary is tantamount to winning the seat. The republicans in Grosse Point , Harper Woods and downriver have to make a decision if they want a say in the governors race or their congressional district. I believe there decision is that there vote will count more in the gov's race, they are simply outnumbered by dem's in there congressional district.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    To add to that because of the political makeup of CCK's district winning the democratic primary is tantamount to winning the seat. The republicans in Grosse Point , Harper Woods and downriver have to make a decision if they want a say in the governors race or their congressional district. I believe there decision is that there vote will count more in the gov's race, they are simply outnumbered by dem's in there congressional district.
    She's going to get around 38%. The real race is going to be the difference of the other 62%. If Plummer and Clarke split even, she'll get back in. One of them has to get about 40%. I think that Hansen will do well on the eastside, downtown and the southwest side. It will come down to the turnout in those areas. Percentage wise, Ken Cockrel did well on the southwest side, but the turnout was far too low, it didn't help that the election was on May 5, to help him out. Good turnout she's out, low turnout she's in.

Four years after he died and we're still trying to shut down his machine.
    It is dying off slowly, but parts of it linger...but the game was played well, hence Kym Worthy's efforts to disqualify the entire 36th when she was pursuing Kwhyme...and we've seen in retrospect that he has gotten special treatment along the way.

He even got Fishbone meals delivered to his county prison resort spa, and I know a guy who says Kwhyme was able to keep an HVAC tech busy for over half a day getting the temperature just so in that same room.

When the current police chief was in charge of the jail...the ex-husband of the previous chief.

I keep hoping THAT fellow has a major jolt of conscience, sometimes he surprises me and does something seemingly altruistic and humane.

But I digress...McNamara and his gang of thugs did a fantastic job parsing government at the local and state level, and put people in place to keep that machine running pretty well...almost every level was 'contained' by an insider.

Even the fleecing department, through those half-dozen or so REALLY dirty pastors...they'll be next.

Cheers

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Bartock,

Thanks. I was going to say that if only 18% were going to show, then a percentage of the other 82% should go a head and vote in the Dem primary. However, I forgot that two years ago was not a gov election year [[obviously). There is also the chance that another McNamara crony might slip through on the GOP side for Governor. She may just get through again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2