Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I've given it a lot of thought. Here's how it's going to go down. It's all about the money. The dope dealers are gonna wait for the price. If they can sell it cheaper, no need to buy legal weed. Simple as that.

Who's going to regulate it? People will either buy it from their current dope dealer or grow their own. How are the 'regulators' going to know where they got their dope from?

If 'big business' gets involved then they'll either sell it out of gas stations [[where you can already buy ridiculous, ten sizes too big stoopid watches) or, if they think they can make a profit, open Bob's Drug House. But, if some state or municipality tries to tax it more, and the price goes up, it's back to your corner dope dealer, who won't check your ID.

A bunch of young people just sittin' on the couch, lighting up and wasting their time, not to mention the health problems that come from smoking anything. The dope dealers already have no overhead, are open 24/7 at the local street corner and yeah, they can match the price if not beat it because that's what they do. Anybody who thinks this is going to bring in 'revenue' have not thought this through.

Bearinabox Guest

Given a choice between a safe, legal establishment with regular hours where you know what you're getting and how much, and some shady thug in a vacant house in Brightmoor who'd as soon shoot you in the face as change his pants and who sells strictly at his convenience when he has stuff to sell at all, I think most rational consumers would opt for the legitimate outfit even if it cost more. I mean, when you want to have a drink, do you buy a six-pack from the party store, or do you seek out your friendly ghettohood moonshine distiller to save a few bucks?

As far as sitting on the couch and wasting time, how do you feel about legalized TV? Come to think of it, what surface are you sitting on when you post poorly-thought-out rants on DetroitYes?

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Martin View Post
    I've given it a lot of thought. Here's how it's going to go down. It's all about the money. The dope dealers are gonna wait for the price. If they can sell it cheaper, no need to buy legal weed. Simple as that.

Who's going to regulate it? People will either buy it from their current dope dealer or grow their own. How are the 'regulators' going to know where they got their dope from?

If 'big business' gets involved then they'll either sell it out of gas stations [[where you can already buy ridiculous, ten sizes too big stoopid watches) or, if they think they can make a profit, open Bob's Drug House. But, if some state or municipality tries to tax it more, and the price goes up, it's back to your corner dope dealer, who won't check your ID.

A bunch of young people just sittin' on the couch, lighting up and wasting their time, not to mention the health problems that come from smoking anything. The dope dealers already have no overhead, are open 24/7 at the local street corner and yeah, they can match the price if not beat it because that's what they do. Anybody who thinks this is going to bring in 'revenue' have not thought this through.
    Where can I find illegal alcohol houses? I'm sick of paying store prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Given a choice between a safe, legal establishment with regular hours where you know what you're getting and how much, and some shady thug in a vacant house in Brightmoor who'd as soon shoot you in the face as change his pants and who sells strictly at his convenience when he has stuff to sell at all, I think most rational consumers would opt for the legitimate outfit even if it cost more. I mean, when you want to have a drink, do you buy a six-pack from the party store, or do you seek out your friendly ghettohood moonshine distiller to save a few bucks?

As far as sitting on the couch and wasting time, how do you feel about legalized TV? Come to think of it, what surface are you sitting on when you post poorly-thought-out rants on DetroitYes?

I'm just talking about what people are used to right now. How many times you think somebody gets shot and they come back for more?

People are gonna grow their own. It's that simple. It's convenient and they won't pay any tax since it's all about taxes. Most people don't know how to set up a still but they know how to put a plant in a pot.

For a lot of years, I've read about how people need to be educated. How knowledge is power. We should be concerned about our neighbors and not give them one more reason to end up in rehab:

http://www.justice.gov/dea/ongoing/legalization.html

Learn the facts, my fellow Detroiters.

Bearinabox Guest

People are gonna grow their own. It's that simple. It's convenient and they won't pay any tax since it's all about taxes. Most people don't know how to set up a still but they know how to put a plant in a pot.
    And this is a problem...why, exactly? Gardening is a fun hobby that doesn't hurt anyone. Should we ban tomatoes because some people grow them at home?

Alex, your arguments are so weak it comes off as just another reason do decrim or legalize if you just thought two steps beyond every point you make. You cant seem to see the forest.

Its entertaining though, keep going.

Learn the facts, my fellow Detroiters
    Most of the "facts" on that link are the DEA stating that uptight culture warriors in Nevada and Britian are not in favor of legalization [[big surprise there).

Then there was the, "we already have a pill for that" argument. The point of growing and smoking your own pot is the rejection of the big pharma establishment, in case you weren't aware.

The "crime" stats were just arrests for possession. That isn't helping the "against" argument very much.

Then there is the number of people getting treatment for their weed use. How many of those individuals were forced into rehab as a condition of their weed possession probation? Not the same as people seeking help for legitimate addiction issues.

You need to find a better website for "facts." We all know what the DEA agenda is..... employing laid-off cops and army vets.

You don't like the DEA? I get it. I'll be voting against legalizing weed. I think the DEA got their facts straight. Illegal dope is bad for everybody. And I'm tellin' you. Nobody's gonna make any money off this. Big business will just avoid paying taxes like they already do.

If you don't like the idea of legalizing pot you have never smoked it. Just make a WKBD a 24 hour Kung Fu station and stock the shelves with fritos and faygo and the city will come back in five years.

What other drugs are taxed and how much do we depend on those taxes? Booze even came back from prohibition to be successfully taxed and regulated

No doubt, because it took so long for the public to wake up and realize that reefer madness is a joke, its going to be a hard road to hoe getting it taxed but there is no reason it cannot be. Not to mention it will free up our overburdened police depts, courts, jails, and oh yeah, make it so being a weed dealer wont have the profitability, why would it if its legal?

How could anyone take the DEAs stats seriously? Their agenda is to keep their own asses in business.

I really tried to keep out of this ridiculous argument.
    Last edited by Django; May-17-10 at 06:17 PM.

You don't like the DEA? I get it. I'll be voting against legalizing weed. I think the DEA got their facts straight. Illegal dope is bad for everybody. And I'm tellin' you. Nobody's gonna make any money off this. Big business will just avoid paying taxes like they already do.
    The fact that people smoke this stuff has absolutely nothing to do with the initial illegalization. Illegal dope is bad for everybody, it creates a huge untaxed blackmarket which potentially funds criminals. If you thinking voting no and maintaining the status quo is gonna change anything, I hope it at least smells nice wherever you've been sticking your head theses days

Blarf Guest

I'm just talking about what people are used to right now. How many times you think somebody gets shot and they come back for more?

Helllll no. Growing even average marijuana is a pain in the ass. As a smoker, I'd rather buy it then frown it.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your arguments are so stupid, I'm positive you're just joking around to get people riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I'm positive you're just joking around to get people riled up.

Thats what Im thinking also Blarf.

Just in case, heres a group Ive been following through Facebook. L.E.A.P. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    http://sumofchange.com/blog/2010/may/17franklin

It more has to do with a change in policy on all drugs though, and nationwide.

Funny. You're sayin' the DEA is all about staying in business too. Looks like it's stayin' in business all the way around. You know who's got this figured out already? Organized crime. They got plenty of other illegal drugs to sell besides weed. They are in the addiction business, that's what. I guess a few of you people don't see it when somebody is for real.

I don't want to see anybody on dope. I'm being for real on this.

Occasionally during my work I am required to stand by while an excavator operator is digging next to a natural gas pipeline. I sure as hell don't want this guy to be high on anything while he's performing this task. It's at times like these when I'm glad that people are tested for drugs.

My questions are these:: If marijuana is legalized, how is this going to affect companies who are required to test? This is a public safety issue. What is to stop that operator, or the school bus driver, from smoking some weed that same day and claim that it was smoked the night before? It's my gut feeling that marijuana is not as harmless as some claim.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    Occasionally during my work I am required to stand by while an excavator operator is digging next to a natural gas pipeline. I sure as hell don't want this guy to be high on anything while he's performing this task. It's at times like these when I'm glad that people are tested for drugs.

My questions are these:: If marijuana is legalized, how is this going to affect companies who are required to test? This is a public safety issue. What is to stop that operator, or the school bus driver, from smoking some weed that same day and claim that it was smoked the night before? It's my gut feeling that marijuana is not as harmless as some claim.
    Alcohol is legal, but I'm not allowed to be drunk at work. Why can't marijuana be treated the same way? Let people do what they want on their own time, but when they're on the job they need to be clean. The only real difference here is that current drug tests will detect MJ use far after the actual effects have worn off, unlike say a breathalyzer which measures your intoxication level at that very moment. I'm sure some bright guy at a drug company somewhere can come up with an MJ equivalent if there was money in it.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post

Umm, you are aware that alcohol is legal, right? Just because enjoys using the drug alcohol doesn't mean they are wasted at work. And yes, alcohol IS a drug.

I understand what you're saying I just think it's easier to be noticed if you've been drinking than if you've been smoking weed.

Default Don't legalize marijuana

More people on dope. Is that what you want? I heard some dope fiend say the cops would be freed up to deal with "more important" crimes. Oh yeah? What about all the other drugs that would still be illegal? The local dope dealer ain't gonna stop selling crack. I doubt the rest are gonna spend their time picking up empty soda pop cans to get by.

Don't fall for it.

Alex

You forgot to mention that it is a GATEWAY drug, and will surely lead to children killing & stealing for weed money and eight year old kids high on mary jane looking for needles to shoot crack into their veins!

The prohibition on marijuana clearly works. It keeps our streets clean so law & order prevail just like they did during the alcohol prohibition.

From a user side... besides Saturday Night Live skits back in the 70s and 80s.... when has anyone ever heard of "another marijuana related death"??

Default Pot Would Still Be Illegal

Marijuana would still be illegal in Detroit even if the proposed law was passed by voters. Michigan and the United States maintain anti-marijuana laws. The only impact it might have- other than to reinforce a stereotype of Detroit being a decaying, drug-infested city full of people you wouldn't want to hire- is to encourage Detroit Police to not enforce state and federal drug laws. Hopefully, the State Police would step up enforcement efforts. I'm not sure they would, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    You forgot to mention that it is a GATEWAY drug, and will surely lead to children killing & stealing for weed money and eight year old kids high on mary jane looking for needles to shoot crack into their veins!
    It's only a gateway drug because it's illegal, because you end up in bed with organized crime if you buy some. If pizza was illegal, it would be a gateway food.
    Somebody please correct me, but aren't kids high on pot quite the opposite of raring up to go kill someone for their crack money? More like sitting on a couch somewhere, giggling or philosophizing?

Ravine Guest

Or posting, on DetroitYES!, ridiculous shit about time travellers who are visible in old "photos" of Abe Lincoln. Or blaming their obnoxious behavior on syndromes from which they allegedly suffer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast