I would like to invite each of you to one of the following events, all open to the public.

Friday 8 am: Police Memorial Service - downtown Detroit

The annual event starts at Campus Martius at 8 am, with a march down Monroe St to St Mary's church located at 646 Monroe St. There, a 9 am service will be held remembering our fallen officers from over the years, and now sadly, Brian Huff as well. Included in this event is the 11th annual candle light vigil service, and 37th annual Detroit Police interfaith memorial service.

Friday 11am-9pm - Visitation for Officer Brian Huff -United Memorial Funeral Home 75 Dickinson Mount Clemens, MI

Family visitation is from 6pm-8pm

Saturday 11am - Funeral services - Greater Grace Temple 23500 W. 7 Mile Rd Detroit, MI

I'd like to offer a look into my and my fellow officer's eyes, as it's times like this that makes one realize how large our brotherhood/family is.

This will be the third funeral for a fallen Michigan police officer I have attended, with just shy of 3 years on the job, I can not even begin to describe the hurt each one provides. Yet, for me, I feel it is my duty to honor their memory with my attendance, and to serve as a reminder to myself of the dangers out there.

As many of you know, I worked in the auto industry after college, living the office life, tucked behind a cubical at each place of employment. I knew fairly early on, that wasn't what I wanted for a career. Still, life, and God wouldn't intervene until 6 years later in life.

The Michigan economy, most notably the auto industry, took a major hit around 2005. By fall of 2006, I found myself out of work, and ready to plan a new career in law enforcement. When one door closed, God stepped in and opened another for me. Almost a year after leaving my cubical behind, I found myself along with 26 others in front of ranking officers being yelled at and degraded. I had no idea the bond I would have with these fellow officers, as they quickly became part of brotherhood/family in which I could have never imagined.

Our family is not so unlike that of any other family. We are in fact Citizens On Patrol. Like any family, we share the problems that any family faces. We have family members that make bad choices, some can be forgiven, others we turn our backs on and are embarrassed by how they have made the family look...and yet, they are still family.

I've seen many things during my short tenure on the job, many things that your average citizen would not be able to stomach. The more I see, the greater tolerance I build. My emotional wall becomes stronger, though even the strongest walls have their weak spots. I have witnessed events that choke me up while on scene, as we are human after all.

The hardest part for me however is not what I may come in contact with at work, and I believe the same is likely true for others. The hardest part for me is walking out that back door leaving for work. If I'm lucky, my beautiful wife is there to kiss me goodbye, then to wave to me as I close the door to the garage. Most days however, she is away teaching. Yet still, when I get to the garage and look back, my two furry friends are standing at the back door, waiting for me to wave goodbye to them, as if they are thinking "be safe." Not a single day passes that I don't think about the possibility that this could be my last chance to say goodbye. THAT, is the hardest part of my job.

After a short commute to work, I am greeted by my other family, and the dangers that lie ahead are tucked away. We have a job to do, and I have one of the best families in the world looking out for me, doing whatever it takes to make sure I make it home. 5 other officers were injured, 4 shot, 1 injured ankle, trying to protect and pull Huff to safety. That is the kind of family I am a part of, and I couldn't be prouder.

I would hope that much of the public can find time to attend one of the three events in which I listed above. Our job often puts us in contact with people on their worst days, and the support often seems to be heavily outweighed the the criticisms. Please come out and show your support, and help us continue to build a better tomorrow for Detroit.