Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    How sickening that the Freep wasted no time putting Ron Scott in the spot light, initially a bold print heading right under the article regarding the shooting, practically defending the shooters motives with a "what did we expect?" attitude. The heading reads "Coalition on Detroit Police brutality questions fatal drug house gunfire" What do they question, the drug dealers motives being inside a vancant house, firing shots, with drugs at 3 am? Any idiot could quickly determine his motives weren't that of a fine upstanding citizen.
    I agree complete. In the article, he talked about how we shouldn't jump to conclusions but it seems like he's the only person to do so.

How are other officers holding up today?

How fucked up is this? A domestic terrorist group, accused of planning to kill an officer, then kill masses of officers during the funeral procession, just all got released.

http://freep.com/article/20100503/NE...utaree-militia

I have not heard abaout the other officer's current conditions. Hopefully all will be ok and released from hospital soon.

Default Cop killers!

This is unbelievable. Everyone will get a shock out this:

Chief: Shooting Suspect Has Long Rap Sheet

4 Detroit Police Officers Wounded In Shooting; 2 Released From Hospital

POSTED: Monday, May 3, 2010
    UPDATED: 3:07 pm EDT May 3, 2010

DETROIT -- Detroit Police Chief Warren Evans said the man suspected of killing a veteran officer in a shootout Monday morning was wanted on probation violation and has a history of assault involving police.
    Evans said at a news conference Monday afternoon that the 25-year-old suspect, who was shot in the lower back, has had past convictions for fleeing police and attempting to disarm.
    Evans said, "This guy's entire background is assault." Evans didn't release his name, pending formal charges.
    Sources told Local 4 that the suspect's name is Jason Gibson, but he served time in prison under the name James Everet, Michigan Department of Corrections records show.
    He remains in fair condition at St. John Hospital.
    Gibson is suspected of killing 45-year-old Officer Brian Huff and wounding four other officers who were responding to a report of gunshots at a vacant duplex on Detroit's east side.
    Huff was in scout car 5-3 with his partner, Joseph D'Angelo. They were among the first officers to respond to the report of shots fired on the 20000 block of Schoenherr Road near 8 Mile Road, which came at 3:37 a.m.
    At least eight officers were at the home when Huff was shot, which was roughly ten minutes after the initial report came through the scanner.
    Evans said the responding officers positioned themselves at the front and rear entrances of the building.
    Huff was the first officer to enter through the front. He was shot multiple times above the bulletproof vest.
    "I think he did make entry into the house. The shell casings I saw were indicative of shots being fired within the house," said Evans.
    His partner, D'Angelo, went into the home through the back door. He was also wounded.
    The three other officers were wounded trying to pull Huff out of the line of fire, police said.
    Watch Team Coverage Detroit Police Officer Shot, Killed

The wounded officers were taken to St. John Hospital for treatment.
    Officer Stephen Schram was shot on the left side and officer, Brian Glover is being treated for an ankle injury. Both remain hospitalized.
    Officer Casper Harrison and Officer John Dunlap were both treated and released.
    Harrison was shot in the right arm and had shrapnel wounds to his mouth. Dunlap was grazed in the chin by a bullet.
    Huff and most of the responding officers were from the Eastern District.
    Eastern District Commander Steve Dolan was visibly traumatized by the shootings. He held back tears and took deep breaths as he talked about Huff and the other wounded officers.
    "This is the first time in history of the Detroit Police Department that five officers were shot at one time," he said.
    The shooting suspect was captured in the back yard of the home after he was shot one time by officers.
    Police told Local 4 that the gunman was in the home looking for drugs.
    A .45-caliber handgun, believed to be the gunman's weapon, and a bag of marijuana were recovered.
    Several investigative agencies, such as the Michigan State Police, the FBI, the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and pilots with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection are helping Detroit police in the investigation.
    A few hours after the shooting, SWAT teams stormed the home to do a final sweep, but came out empty-handed.
    Residents No Strangers To Violence

Several neighbors describe the block as quiet during the day, but say gunshots are commonly heard at night and in the surrounding area. Brenda Wilson said she was awakened by gunshots early Monday.
    "We just heard a lot of gunshots this morning at about 3:30. About 18 or 19 rounds, and then I looked out the window and it was full of cops out there," said Wilson.
    Sheila Brown, 47, said she too woke up to the sound of gunshots. Brown said she has been offered drugs by people while walking past the house.
    "They ask you if you want to buy weed," said Brown, adding that she has previously called police, and "they come out, but the guys are gone by then."
    "In this area, there is a lot of drugs -- weed houses. Mostly drug houses and they are breaking into vacant houses and doing their work in vacant houses," added Brown.
    Evans got angry Monday afternoon when asked about the communities' response to how the gang squad has been treating residents.
    When asked if the gunman responded that way because of how the officers act with residents, he said, "anyone who thinks a cop can't get shot in any big city has their head in the sand."
    Evans said his department does have a handle on crime and a fatal police shooting can happen anywhere at any time.
    Community Grieves For Fallen Officer

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing visited the slain officer's widow and 10-year-old son at the hospital.
    "It was the worst feeling I've had since I've been in this position and immediately I wanted to get here to be as supportive as I could be," Bing said outside the hospital. "But also to let our police officers know that the leadership in this city is behind them."
    Evans said he spoke to the officers and their families, although he said there was little comfort he could provide.
    "What can you say? You're there for them and let them talk," Evans said. "Every emotion in the world comes out: anger, hurt, frustration -- all of them are worried about the guy in the next bed, which was their partner."
    "These guys in there aren't worried about themselves," Evans said. "They're worrying about their brother officers. I've been doing this almost 40 years. This is not the first time but I was hoping [[before) was the last time that we'd be in this situation."
    Huff graduated from the police academy when he was 32. His fellow officers said he was very experienced. Evans described him as "serious veteran officer."
    "He was aggressive on the street but he had a good heart. He was a loveable guy and everybody loved him," said DPD veteran Officer Randy Randolph in describing Huff.
    "He was always smiling in the morning. You can't say that much about people who work midnights," said Dolan.
    The last fatal shooting involving on-duty Detroit police officers happened in February 2004. Officers Jennifer Fettig and Matthew Bowens were shot and killed during a traffic stop. Eric Lee Marshall was found guilty of those murders and is currently serving a life sentence.
    Bowens' father, Jim Bowens, was at the hospital and said he has been advocating for the death penalty for police killers since his son died.
    "This is the perfect incidence of where you have eyewitnesses of people being shot. That's why I tried before and I am going to try again," said Jim Bowens.

Stay with Local 4 and ClickonDetroit.com for more information as this story develops.

While brothers killing brothers in the ghetto, cops are getting kill in a instant.

How fucked up is this? A domestic terrorist group, accused of planning to kill an officer, then kill masses of officers during the funeral procession, just all got released.
    It's very fucked up. I hope the U.S. Attorney files an immediate appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    I have not heard abaout the other officer's current conditions. Hopefully all will be ok and released from hospital soon.
    According to Channel 4 News, two of the other four have been treated and released. The other two are expected to make a full recovery.

Buy American Guest

I started a discussion on another thread regarding this issue. Lowell moved it to "Non-Detroit" forum. This is not Non-Detroit.

Do you really think that if they were deemed a threat they would've been given bond, Sport? It was Federal, not Local or State...and from what I've read, their case really isn't very tight. In this age, it doesn't seem like they would be released if there was cause to believe anyone would be at danger.

They used the word 'terrorist' to describe them. Mounted a near military strike to bring them in. And they walk after the arraignment?! Something is a bit odd about that news.

Every eye will be on them whenever they leave home, because of it.

Dabirch Guest

As a former civil rights attorney who has been involved with numerous law suits with police departments, municipalities, and individual officers, I find Ron Scott's statements and stance sickening.

While I understand and support the need for active citizen involvement in "policing the police" - and spent a portion of my career doing just that - to respond to this situation with such a bull shit stance is nearly treasonous in my humble opinion.

For the freep to actually print something like that in the direct wake of this horrific incident is irresponsible journalism at best and cold hearted, insensitive, brutal and intentional fanning of flames and incitement at the other end.

As a friend elsewhere stated "Ron Scott=bag of dicks" period. So too does whoever wrote the story and whatever moronic editor decided to run it.

Sport, you and your crew are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe.

SS: We are thinking of you and your fellow DPD colleagues, as well as the family and friends of Brian Huff.

As someone who had a family member and DPD officer killed in the line of duty in the past, let's all remember what they do and keep them in our prayers.

Here is Jason Gibson's rap sheet. How many more Jason Gibsons are there roaming Detroit's streets with nothing better to do but deal and live the thug life? I put the number in the thousands.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/downlo...3/23435799.pdf

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    As a former civil rights attorney who has been involved with numerous law suits with police departments, municipalities, and individual officers, I find Ron Scott's statements and stance sickening.

While I understand and support the need for active citizen involvement in "policing the police" - and spent a portion of my career doing just that - to respond to this situation with such a bull shit stance is nearly treasonous in my humble opinion.

For the freep to actually print something like that in the direct wake of this horrific incident is irresponsible journalism at best and cold hearted, insensitive, brutal and intentional fanning of flames and incitement at the other end.

As a friend elsewhere stated "Ron Scott=bag of dicks" period. So too does whoever wrote the story and whatever moronic editor decided to run it.

I looked for the comment that you mentioned above from Ron Scott, and could not find it. It must have been sanitized at some point I guess.

I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of him and his statement. I read it earlier today, and was equally appalled at the attitude. I feel that thinking like that is precisely why Derroit is in the state that is in today. God help the fine officers of the DPD . Maybe someone in Lansing can get some emergency funding for a few more PD officers from somewhere.

Honestly, it may be time to prioritize a few things in the City. And the first and overarching priority is the safety of the citizens, and thethe protection of the DPD and FD.

I am all for the death penalty for cop killers, and for the same for ANY killer regardless, within reasonable doubt. If anyone has a valid petition for the death penalty, I tghink now is the time to sign one, I think.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post

Amen.

Retroit Guest

If we can keep Hutaree militia members off the street, why can't we keep Jason Gibson off the street?

I remember Brian as a fun-loving man and a hard-working officer. To Supersport and all my DPD family, know that you are all in our prayers, absolutely every day. Brian's family will need us to give them our strength.

Wow. Just wow. There will never be any "right" words to ease the Huff family pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you struggle to make sense of the "why" of this sad situation. Each officer funeral I've attended [[and there have been far too many) has been a testimony to the "family" that DPD really is when the chips are down. May Brian's soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of Christ, rest in peace. God Bless You DPD...all of you. Be strong...stay safe.

Yes, I was just listening to Scott interviewed on an AM talk station [[wdtkam)stating [[albeit slightly obliquely) that the violent reaction in certain areas of Detroit towards cops may be in part be due a revenge factor towards bad cops. Well, I don't see criminals needing any endorsement either way but a bit of "justification" never hurt their cause!
    How sickening that the Freep wasted no time putting Ron Scott in the spot light, initially a bold print heading right under the article regarding the shooting, practically defending the shooters motives with a "what did we expect?" attitude. The heading reads "Coalition on Detroit Police brutality questions fatal drug house gunfire" What do they question, the drug dealers motives being inside a vancant house, firing shots, with drugs at 3 am? Any idiot could quickly determine his motives weren't that of a fine upstanding citizen.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-10 at 02:43 PM.

I work in a a stressful industry working daily with the public that identifies greatly with what police officers have to endure daily. They are not all perfect, but every day they face things we can only imagine.... My most sincerest condolences go out to the family of this fallen officer.....
    Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Wow. Just wow. There will never be any "right" words to ease the Huff family pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you struggle to make sense of the "why" of this sad situation. Each officer funeral I've attended [[and there have been far too many) has been a testimony to the "family" that DPD really is when the chips are down. May Brian's soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of Christ, rest in peace. God Bless You DPD...all of you. Be strong...stay safe.

Yes, I agree! I know Ron but the timing of this is tasteless. The freep is out of order here...

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Amen.....

One of the wounded police officers is a good friend of mine. I have known him since he was 15. He is a bright, brave young man, who joined the police force because he wanted to do good for the City. When I speak to him, I will relay to him the expressions of support I have read on this board. Thank you.

Local 4 reporters should check the spelling of names, the rest of the Commander's family spell Dolan differently. I've known this fellow since high school, he is an older brother of one of my best school friends. It was particularly disturbing to hear his voice on WDET yesterday describing the slain officer and the impact on everyone involved, especially his family.

Condolences again to all involved, excepting the perp. May he get his, and soon.

Buy American Guest

It's funny how this subject seems to loose importance and fall further down the thread so quickly. This should be the most important thing DetroitYes patrons are focusing on right now. The shooting of these 5 officers and the murder of one of them didn't even make the ABC National News last night. The priorities in this country are so screwed up it makes me sick. We need more police in Detroit, no question. We need to get these scumbags off the streets and if that means building more jails or utilizing the closed schools as jails then so be it. Something needs to be done to stop this violence because it's only going to get worse.

Lowell, I ask you to read this and tell me that my post is Non-Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010050...utaree-members
    Last edited by Buy American; May-04-10 at 07:40 AM.

What exactly are you expecting to hear that people haven't already said? We need more police, we need to get the criminals off the streets, we need to stop the violence - Great! Anyone can figure that out. So how do you accomplish that when the city's effectively bankrupt and a huge percentage of the city's population is impoverished to the point that the random gunfire at night is nothing more than background noise to the daily struggle to make it through the day?

Stosh Guest

Ron Scott is still spouting off inanities.
    Seems as if he is, for lack of better terminology, a media whore.

Here's another gem, from WWJ:

But, Ron Scott with the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, says the death penalty is not the answer. "We don't want this to be a situation where it's one side against the other," Scott says. "The city of Detroit has enough of that."
    http://www.wwj.com/Killing-of-Detroi...ath-Pe/6961218

I always thought that criminals were on the opposite side of the law enforcement. Am I missing something here? His take is obviously a little different than mine. Let's face facts. You kill someone, you should be given the same punishment. How is life in prison without parole any less of a torture or any less of a punishment? How is it any less than a "us against them thing"? Seems to me that Scott wants everyone to just look the other way.

Granted, there are shades of grey in anything, so I'm sure that there will be circumstances , as in other states, which are less than capital murder. But the thought of more innocent people being killed by these callous thugs is sickening.

And Novine, the thought of us paying to keep these murderers alive is sickening as well. Maybe Detroit would have some more money to spend if we weren't dumping cash down the state prison money pit.
    Last edited by Stosh; May-04-10 at 08:17 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast