Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First 45

My first 45 was Run Joey Run, sung by David Geddes. While researching this post, I was surprised to discover that David Geddes was attending law school at Wayne State when he made the recording. He also attended the University of Michigan and took his stage name from a street in Ann Arbor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Geddes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Joey_Run

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    While looking for something else I came across a 33&1/3 rpm, 3&7/8 inch, vinyl flexi-disc I bought from a vending machine on the mezzanine or landing at Wards on Gratiot near 7. It calls itself a "pocket disc" by Americon. It's two sided - "One" by Three Dog Night with "Chest Fever" on the flip side.

While not a strictly a 45, it's a single. I don't remember the price, but I'm fairly sure it cost less than a 45 and could be had for pocket change. It's also not my first, but I wondered if any one else remembers these.
    I don't remember those discs [[though I did shop Gratiot/7 Mile until Ward's closed). But wanted to say, there may well be a Three Dog Night fan who would pay you for that historical item. Google for their fan club information; or even through Chuck Negron's websites [[he was with 3DN but has performed solo for a long time now so google him separately). Just a thought in case you wanted to recoup pocket change.

The Night Chicago Died/Billy Don't Be A Hero

Actually my dad owned restaurants that had the table jukeboxes. He would bring home 45's all the time when they changed the records. I had stack and stacks and stacks of them.

I remember selling Ted Nugent's Wango Tango 45's for a dime each in the 6th grade... lol

First 45 was Wendy by the Association. First album was "Age of Aquarius" by the Fifth Dimension. I still have both along with my Roxy Music "Country Life" and my Spiders from Mars from Bowie- My roommates hated both albums.

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    First 45 was Wendy by the Association. First album was "Age of Aquarius" by the Fifth Dimension. I still have both along with my Roxy Music "Country Life" and my Spiders from Mars from Bowie- My roommates hated both albums.
    Might as well correct you - that would be 'Windy'. Not to be confused with 'Wendy' by the Beach Boys. I remember the Fifth Dimension being on the variety show circuit back then. They were regulars on Ed Sullivan, singing Up up and Away, Aquarius, Wedding Bell Blues, etc.

I doubt if anyone will remember the group and certainly not the tune.

Cuddle Me by The Gaylords.

Mack the Knife, Bobby Darin. I asked [[nagged, begged, pleaded) for it and it was bought for me. Age, approx. 3. By the time I had my own money, 45s were passe.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; July-01-10 at 06:08 PM. Reason: more

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    I doubt if anyone will remember the group and certainly not the tune.

Cuddle Me by The Gaylords.
    I remember my sister listening to the Gaylords, but not that song

my first one was a not a 45 but rather a 78!
    Wow I cannot remember to save my life, I know I bought a lot of them, mostly old beatles or mccartney and wings.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    my first one was a not a 45 but rather a 78!
    Wow I cannot remember to save my life, I know I bought a lot of them, mostly old beatles or mccartney and wings.
    I bought a lot of 78's before I ever bought a 45. I ran out and bought the 45 because my Dad had bought a new "High Fidelity" record player. Most of my 78's were rythym and blues. Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, Joe Turner, etc.

I think it was either a gold colored Grand Funk Railroad 45 or the Kendalls 'Let me be there' I remember buying Miss You by the Rolling Stones...

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Might be "Iko Iko" by the Dixie Cups. Probably got it at Kresge's at Eastland. Left it on the dashboard of my mother's '62 Chrysler 300 all day while we were out shopping only to find it was heavily warped by the time we got home. But it still played without distortion and it was fun to watch the arm ride up and down as it played.
    That cracks me up, I did the same with my Alien Sex Fiend album but that was just as well as they sucked. I think I bought that album just because the name was so weird. That may be a strange way of finding music but its also how I discovered the Psychedelic Furs and Butthole Surfers, although it took me 2 years before I realized the Surfers required LSD to enjoy them fully.

I dont really remember my first but I do remember wearing the hell out of Queen's We will rock you.

Puppy Love

My first .45? hmm, remington, I believe.

Remember kids, don't leave your records in the sun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3EPib5LWFo

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    I bought a lot of 78's before I ever bought a 45.
    I belong with these guys. But my early 78's [[Decca, Bluebird, Okeh) were Cole Porter and Glen Miller stuff. They sound a lot better in today's re-digitized CDs, though.

When LPs came out, I went nuts on classical stuff. Loved it then, love it now. RCA red label was the best of the bunch.

Jman
    You are right. I cannot place the song, "Cuddle Me" unless you mean, "Cuddle Up a Little Closer."
    On the Gaylords: Bonaldo Binaldi [[AKA Bunzo) was one year ahead of me at St. Joe's High School. Ron Ferdianelly was two years behind me.
    They entertained us during lunch hour using the school’s P. A. system

Ray1936, I was the youngest in my family and I can assure you we had a lot of Glen Miller, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Stan Kenton etc. I also remember the RCA red label 33 1/3.

tponetom, I remember Cuddle Up a Little Closer and it was a completely different song. I knew the Gaylords were a Detroit group and assumed they were from the east side.

Jman, Ray;
    I have 34 'mint condition' 45's, including a 15 record, [[6o songs) Glenn Miller album. It was a Fifth Wedding Anniversary present, [[1954) from Peggy to me. It cost $ 24.95. [[With the Cost of Living adjustment, it would cost 200.00, today.)
    I think I will shop Amazon or E-bay for a 45 player.
    On my previous reply I should have noted that 'Bunzo' is Burt Holiday and Ronnie was Ronnie Gaylord.
    The Conner Show Bar on Conners near Harper was one of their early habitues.

Ronnie Gaylord, of The Gaylords fame: Cuddle Me

Isle of Capri

tponetom, my brother had a couple of multi-record Glenn Miller albums. One was gold in color and I remember my brother telling me the cover was snakeskin. If I recall correctly he told me the price was $24.95. Does that sound familiar? The other was Glenn Miller with his Air Force Band and the cover being the wild blue younder. O.K., it was a painting of the sky.

Thanks gnome, that's the song. After listening to it again, I am now wondering why I spent the money. lol

Quote Originally Posted by polaar View Post
    "Eighteen" Alice Cooper 1970
    Sorry, "Eighteen" came out in 1974...the year I turned 18. You don't forget it when Alice Cooper writes a song for your class.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Sorry, "Eighteen" came out in 1974...the year I turned 18. You don't forget it when Alice Cooper writes a song for your class.
    Hmmm....I don't believe I've heard of her.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3