Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First 45

Sissy Strut by the Meters, at Grinell's on Woodward.

This ought to get me laughed at

Little Black Egg
    The Nightcrawlers

Was trying to learn it on the guitar

Bought with my very own money from the Harper Record Store [[across from The Eastown Theatre) for 49 cents - Lonely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson - I still love Jackie's music.

My very first 45 was bought for me by my neighbor - Hound Dog by Elvis

Still have them both!

"Eighteen" Alice Cooper 1970

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post

Little Black Egg
    The Nightcrawlers

That's considered a garage rock classic, nothing to laugh at there. It's on this box set:

http://www.amazon.com/Nuggets-Origin...2718896&sr=1-1

"Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.

....and their next hit "Jingle-Jangle" came for free on the back of a cereal box. Oh to be 9 again !

Early Beatles....winter 1963-64. Not sure which one, but I would guess either Please Please Me or I Want to Hold Your Hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Schubert's 8th symphony in B minor [[the 'Unfinished'). I think some Rossini was on the flip, and it was by the DSO.
    On a 45????? Or was that really your first LP??! I have a hard time imagining even the "Unfinished" fitting on a 45!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    On a 45????? Or was that really your first LP??! I have a hard time imagining even the "Unfinished" fitting on a 45!
    Wrong thread, EMG. I deleted the post here. Meant to put that on the LP thread.

Ignored the note on my puter: "Engage brain before operating fingers."

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post

Little Black Egg
    The Nightcrawlers

That was on every bar band set list in the late '60s. Definitely a classic.

Might've been Jamie Coe and the Gigolos. I'll have to give it further thought and consult with my buddy I was with when I bought it. On further thought, I think it was The Fool by Jamie Coe and the Gigolos. After a few more flashbacks I'll get back to you all and confirm it.

Ronnie-Four Seasons

"Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter"/"the end of the world" Herman's Hermits. I still have the Columbia 360 record player that I played that 45 on, my folks bought it in 1955 when they were dating and it still works like a charm. Plays 78, 45, 33 and 16 rpm records, has a 45 stacking adaptor.

Might be "Iko Iko" by the Dixie Cups. Probably got it at Kresge's at Eastland. Left it on the dashboard of my mother's '62 Chrysler 300 all day while we were out shopping only to find it was heavily warped by the time we got home. But it still played without distortion and it was fun to watch the arm ride up and down as it played.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Loved that song
    I still have very distinct memories of hearing that song [[Bonnie and Clyde) on the radio in our kitchen when I was about 8 yrs old. Pretty sure that the theme from 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' was out about that time too, also remember hearing that one.
    Last edited by SMRJim; May-03-10 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by missn View Post
    I bought four at once:
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey by Wings
    Maybe Tomorrow by Jackson 5
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by Joan Baez
    Indian Reservation by the Raiders

$0.67 a piece at K Mart! [[late '71)
    I had Uncle Albert and Indian Reservation. Back then B-sides were more often than not throwaways, but Uncle Albert's was 'Too Many People', which I ended up liking even more than the A-side once I 'discovered' it. Bought at the Greenfield and Grand River Wards in 71!

Quote Originally Posted by missn View Post
    Trying to stifle smart remark ...
    How about a really dumb remark??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.

....and their next hit "Jingle-Jangle" came for free on the back of a cereal box. Oh to be 9 again !
    As soon as I saw 'The Archies' I thought of the one we got off the back of a box of cereal - I think it was Sugar Crisp! After I saw that records could be made of 'cardboard' I tried to make my own recordings on our record player by putting a paper plate on the turntable and 'recording' on to it! Not too good for the needle. I too was 9 at the time. Thomas Edison I'm not.

Can't remember which was the very first, since there were so many records bought by my brothers and sisters [[I did rememebr the 1st album) but it could have been 'No Matter What' by Badfinger - late 70 /early 71. One of my many 'favorite song ever's over the years. The one 78 I remember well [[though I know I didn't buy it) was 'The Three Little Pigs', on an old, pink 78. Scratched up really bad, but my two youngest sisters and I loved listening to that. A 'hand-me-down' from our older siblings. What I wouldn't give to still have all those old 45s! I always loved all the different labels, still remember many.

While looking for something else I came across a 33&1/3 rpm, 3&7/8 inch, vinyl flexi-disc I bought from a vending machine on the mezzanine or landing at Wards on Gratiot near 7. It calls itself a "pocket disc" by Americon. It's two sided - "One" by Three Dog Night with "Chest Fever" on the flip side.

While not a strictly a 45, it's a single. I don't remember the price, but I'm fairly sure it cost less than a 45 and could be had for pocket change. It's also not my first, but I wondered if any one else remembers these.
    Last edited by Brock7; May-04-10 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I still have very distinct memories of hearing that song [[Bonnie and Clyde) on the radio in our kitchen when I was about 8 yrs old. Pretty sure that the theme from 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' was out about that time too, also remember hearing that one.
    I still remember the words to it.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMac View Post
    What was the first 45 you bought with your own money??
    Since you did not share your own answer to your own question, we get to ask you how old you were when you first got laid.

As for my answer to that question, I don't remember, and the fact of my not remembering is odd. I remember buying "The River Is Wide," by The Forum, but I don't think it was my first.

Pied Piper by Crispian St. Peter

I don't recall the song title, but it was by Herman's Hermits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast