Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    EMG, stick your honda up your behind and rotate it.
    Yeah, disguise your jealousy as anger just because you're probably still beholden to some Big 3 producer either as an employee or relative of an employee of one of those companies that makes products that might as well have come OUT of such a place. Or you can't risk pissing off your friends or neighbors by unveiling your true frustration. That's OK, Stosh. I understand. If I still didn't have the freedom to drive a real quality product I'd probably react the same way. All is forgiven.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Yeah, disguise your jealousy as anger just because you're probably still beholden to some Big 3 producer either as an employee or relative of an employee of one of those companies that makes products that might as well have come OUT of such a place. Or you can't risk pissing off your friends or neighbors by unveiling your true frustration. That's OK, Stosh. I understand. If I still didn't have the freedom to drive a real quality product I'd probably react the same way. All is forgiven.
    I suppose that you imagine that you are so clever. Really... Do you have blisters on your knees from your constant fellation of the foreign car makers?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I suppose that you imagine that you are so clever. Really... Do you have blisters on your knees from your constant fellation of the foreign car makers?
    Can't say that I do. But if your own worship of the Big 3 has put you in that condition, I'd recommend getting those knee blisters treated. You don't want to risk infection.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Can't say that I do. But if your own worship of the Big 3 has put you in that condition, I'd recommend getting those knee blisters treated. You don't want to risk infection.
    You should know all about infection, given your blatant crush on Mr. Opportunity.

I hear he's got herpes from '"knocking" too many people. You should get those sores checked, you know. It's not just the dry climate.

Speaking of Arizona... It's too bad that you had a bad experience with American products. Living in Arizona, you would think that you would be more favorably disposed to support American products, instead of those pesky immigrant models. I guess too much Fox news rots your brain, huh?

I will agree with the Saturn love fest. We actually bought our Vue in Tennessee in 2004- it was my first experience at a dealership with my parents and I was impressed. We were going to go back to get another Vue a year or two back but realized why bother- the 2004 still runs great and really is the perfect car for us. Not really what GM likes to hear, I know. But they really dropped a great brand.

If anybody still thinks they're on AtlantaYes, I direct your attention to the slightly dated insult-fest above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post

Originally Posted by CLAUDE G
    Well I own the building of what used to be called Verhoven Chevrolet back in the late 1970's.
    We still have posters and other chevrolet parts, and promotional matterials laying around the second floor from 30 years ago when it used to be a dealership.

Do you have any knowledge of when that building was constructed? Was there a tenant/owner prior to Verhoven? I have a Ford Dealership news article from 1937 about Rivard Brothers Ford operating a mini-showroom and service facility at Van Dyke and McNichols as a feeder for their main operations at Eight Mile and Van Dyke. The article also mentions that they bought out a gas station across the street and established a 25 vehicle used car lot on the gas station parcel.
    Bump - let's get back on topic. Claude G, are you out there?

Do you have any knowledge of when that building was constructed? Was there a tenant/owner prior to Verhoven? I have a Ford Dealership news article from 1937 about Rivard Brothers Ford operating a mini-showroom and service facility at Van Dyke and McNichols as a feeder for their main operations at Eight Mile and Van Dyke. The article also mentions that they bought out a gas station across the street and established a 25 vehicle used car lot on the gas station parcel.
    Yes, I have lots of information.

The building was constructed in 1948, a matter of fact I even have the origonal blue prints and pictures from the 30's 40's and 50's

The dealership was owned by my grandfather, and has been at that location for over 100 years. The origional dealership was located accross the street and was origionally a Ford dealership. From what I have been told, sometime in the 1940's Henry Ford stopped by the dealership in a limousine and tried to buy the dealership from my Grandfather to give to one of his kids of family members. My Grandfather didn't want to sell, there was an argument and my grandfather went back to his office, got his Ford dealership contract, ripped it up, threw it through the window in Henry Fords Limousine.

So from there, I think they got a dealership with either Dodge of Packard for a year. My Grandmother didn't like the way the doors opened on the cars my Grandfather was selling, so then they switched to Chevrolet and started to accuiring property to construct a new dealership at 6 mile and van dyke.

I should scan them and post them here, I actually got several pictures from the corner of 6 Mile and Van Dyke that show the various buildings.

#1 The first tenant was actually Otto Schemansky Monument Company, and I got a picture somewhere at my office that was taken around 1900 which shows the corner of 6 mile and Van Dyke setup as a monument business with the picture of a grass lawn with grave markers.

#2 The second tenant I believe was Rivard Bros Ford, and by this time the entire block was turned into a strip mall with several businesses. Otto Schemansky was moved about 100 feet north, and there was also a small bar and grill next to Schemansky.

#3 The 3rd Tenant was actually Verhoven Chevrolet, which took over Rivard Bros Ford and was a high speed gas station.

#4 The 4th Tenant was when Verhoven Chevrolet accuired all the property on the block and built the new dealership in 1948. Otto Schemansky moved again further south down the street about a block down.

#5 Verhovens Closed in 1980, my father then took over it and opened a Tire and automotive repair facility from the location ever since. 12 years ago when I was looking to open my business selling DISH Network, instead of finding my own location and paying rent, I decided to build my business inside the south end of the showroom. So the north side of the showroom is a Tire shop, and the south side is a call center for DISH Network Satellite TV.

Other than we own a majority of the property at 6 Mile and Van Dyke. If you start at 6 Mile Road, we own the next 2 blocks going south for the exception of a roofing company and Otto Schemansky

Thats a great read Claude.If I am back around there I should take a look at the place. I remember them Elephant stickers when I was a kid. Good to know there is still a business there that can claim it stuck it out for a 100 years.

Here's a web page I made that shows scanned images of the article about Rivard Brothers Ford that appeared in the May 15, 1937 issue of "Ford Dealers News".

Claude, from what you've written, am I correct in assuming that the building occupied by the Rivard Brothers Ford in 1935-1937 must have been on the southwest corner of McNichols and Van Dyke?

The article also mentions that they had since "taken over a competitive gas and oil station across the street to meet the demands for additional space", including a used car lot. Where do you think that gas and oil station was located?

It also states that the used cars were "kept in 'R. and G. shape' ready for demonstration and immediate delivery". Any idea what "R. and G. shape" meant?

I'd be very interested in seeing any of those old photos you have!

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Thats a great read Claude.If I am back around there I should take a look at the place. I remember them Elephant stickers when I was a kid. Good to know there is still a business there that can claim it stuck it out for a 100 years.
    When I was a kid, I used to have stacks of Elephant stickers and would put them on everything around the house.

I have been looking for one of those stickers for the past few days.. I think I still got 1 or 2 left

Here's a web page I made that shows scanned images of the article about Rivard Brothers Ford that appeared in the May 15, 1937 issue of "Ford Dealers News".

Claude, from what you've written, am I correct in assuming that the building occupied by the Rivard Brothers Ford in 1935-1937 must have been on the southwest corner of McNichols and Van Dyke?

The article also mentions that they had since "taken over a competitive gas and oil station across the street to meet the demands for additional space", including a used car lot. Where do you think that gas and oil station was located?

It also states that the used cars were "kept in 'R. and G. shape' ready for demonstration and immediate delivery". Any idea what "R. and G. shape" meant?

I'd be very interested in seeing any of those old photos you have!
    http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/digitiz...&req=ver+hoven

Go to the Top of Page 3

This is a link to a news article in 1947 showing the grand opening of Ver Hoven Chevrolet at the Corner of 6 Mile and Van Dyke.

I have pictures with that same building showing Rivard Bros on it, in addition that building was demolished a year later for the new building that stands on the corner today.

Getting back to your question, building occupied by the Rivard Brothers Ford would have to be located on the south east corner of 6 mile and Van Dyke.

I know on the South West Corner there was a Drugstore, Bar, and Verhoven Chevrolet

On the North East Corner there is the Cemetary

On the North west corner, im not really sure what was there around that time.
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; September-13-10 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    What Stosh said.
    I concur as well, to anyone that would invest in that Japanese garbage, I don't care how good they claim to be.

Here are some pictures. I appologize for the quality, as most of them are framed and I don't want to have to take the pictures out of the frame to scan them.

Here are 3 more recent photos

Claude G. - very nice - thanks for posting those old photos!

Could you please send me an e-mail?

Great Pix and good nite.

We bought a 1979 El Camino from Verhoven Chevrolet yesterday.All the original papers were in the glove box,tucked inside a Verhoven folder.

With his permission, I've added Claude G.'s photos to my web page about the neighborhood auto sales and service station that used to be located on the southeast corner of McNichols and Van Dyke. It was operated by Rivard Brothers Ford from 1935 until 1947 when it was sold to Ver Hoven Chevrolet. Ver Hoven demolished it in 1950 to make way for the building that still exists on that site.

LDoolan Guest

Those are some awesome photos! I'd like to have that lot full of Model A Fords & other 30s cars today.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    We bought a 1979 El Camino from Verhoven Chevrolet yesterday.All the original papers were in the glove box,tucked inside a Verhoven folder.
    Here they are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3