Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My dad worked at McLouth Steel in Trenton from 1955-75. That place qualifies as ruins.

And don't forget about the lovely abandoned steel mills in Trenton along W. Jefferson on the East side of the street [[riverside) and once you get past, I think it's Van Horn there is one that is abandoned on the West side of Jefferson, almost to Gibralter. Not to mention Seaway Hospital in Trenton on W. Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    My dad worked at McLouth Steel in Trenton from 1955-75. That place qualifies as ruins.
    Sorry I missed your post, it was on the 2nd page, which I did not see.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thewitz View Post
    And don't forget about the lovely abandoned steel mills in Trenton along W. Jefferson on the East side of the street [[riverside) and once you get past, I think it's Van Horn there is one that is abandoned on the West side of Jefferson, almost to Gibralter. Not to mention Seaway Hospital in Trenton on W. Jefferson.
    Correction: That's Riverside, not Seaway Hospital on Jefferson. Seaway is alive and kicking on Fort Street as Oakwood Southshore Medical Center.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I think this is how it went:

It began as Big Bear,
    then became Wrigley,
    then became Packer,
    then became Great Scott,
    then became Arbor Drugs,
    then became CVS.
    Only difference is that ALL Arbors became CVS.

Quote Originally Posted by thewitz View Post
    Sorry I missed your post, it was on the 2nd page, which I did not see.
    No problem. The steel plant on the west side of Jefferson south of Vreeland Road in Gibralter was also McLouth Steel. It was the pickling plant. The hospital in Trenton on Jefferson was Riverside Hospital. It is supposed to be torn down at some point.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    And on the northside of LPPLaza,

National
    Chatham
    A.C.E.
    ACO
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

The Dude Guest

Just drive down Eureka in Taylor between 75 and Telegraph. Now gone:

LA Z BOY
    Mountain Jack's
    Baker's Square
    Star Theatre
    Rio Bravo [[empty for a decade)
    Circuit City [[in some areas Circuit City is now hhgregg)
    Media Play
    Staples
    PETCO
    Value City Dept. Store

I have heard that the deal is done for Walmart to start building at Dix and Eureka.

How about the news today that Lincoln Park has been awarded some 40 plus new liquor permits which they will use to revitalize their downtown area.

Not shot and a beer bars mind you, but bistros, high end sports bars and the like which they hope to resemble Royal Oak. Yes more liquor and more drunks to the city is just what this low rent place needs now. The new Southwest Detroit is not going to improve this way, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Signman View Post
    How about the news today that Lincoln Park has been awarded some 40 plus new liquor permits which they will use to revitalize their downtown area.

Not shot and a beer bars mind you, but bistros, high end sports bars and the like which they hope to resemble Royal Oak. Yes more liquor and more drunks to the city is just what this low rent place needs now. The new Southwest Detroit is not going to improve this way, sure.
    Actually, Southwest Detroit, along Vernor, looks better than downtown Lincoln Park due to Kathy Wendler and the Southwest Detroit Business Association.
    They have a terrific facade grant program.

Well until recently Fogel Furniture in downtown Wyandote could qualify as a Fabulous Ruin of Downriver. Until they tore it down and revaled the brick on the southern exterior wall of the city hall [[which was a Federal's fifty plus years ago).

Including this one? http://detroityes.com/nhood/21newcenarbordrug.htm

OK, for the record:
    Security Bank
    then became Security Bank and Trust;
    then became First of America,
    then became National City,
    then became PNC.
    Actually all Detroit National City's became PNC.

And on the northside of LPPLaza,

National
    Chatham
    A.C.E.
    ACO
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    All correct except the first store to occupy the building was C.F Smith, another grocery chain.

I talked to Al Chiarelli today. He works in the meat department at the Meijer store in Lincoln Park. I didn't ask him about the store closing.

Miss a day on here miss alot. Now that I think about it The Dude is right about Eureka btwn 75 and Telegraph. I can remember when most them buildings went up. Kinda reminds me of Westland.

Doing a major 1+ year bump on this to post a link to a Tripod-hosted website that contains lots on Downriver over the years:

http://rimes12.tripod.com/downriver.html

Even though it has not been updated since 2009, I would still reccommend this site if you want to know a Downriver business you went to that's no longer there and what it's address was. But beware of pop-ups since it is hosted by Tripod!

Another bump. Today, I went to Southland Center and near the mall offices, there are two aerial images of Southland: One from 1970 and one from 2007. I have uploaded two images: The 1970 aerial and a comparison. Noticed how much has changed? A smaller version of the 1970 aerial is also my profile picture.

Name:  Southland_1970.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  Southland_Then_Now.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  26.0 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3