Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

I am trying very hard to resist the temptation to erect a McCain sign over that abandoned station across from Obama.

Now, for some reason, I can't see street view, it's all blurry.
    No changes to PC....
    Anyone else have this prob.?

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    Now, for some reason, I can't see street view, it's all blurry.
    No changes to PC....
    Anyone else have this prob.?
    Yes. I find if I wait it clears up after awhile. And I have a fast PC and fast cable. I think the problem must be on the server end.

This may not be an oddity in the same context as some of the others, but it shows a difference between the time the shots were taken.

Aerial view of 2416 Hale shows what appears to be ruins of a house burned to the ground. Image is dated May 2010.

Street view shows the house standing with some fire damage. That image is dated 2009.

---------------

Edit: Nearly the same thing for 2652 Hale. Wonder if they were demolished instead of burned to ashes?
    Last edited by Meddle; August-01-10 at 02:19 AM.

Here's my favorite. A liquor store delivery taking place on Chene under the auspices of an armed guard:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1464208...3931/lightbox/

LodgeDodger Guest

Default Street View oddities non-Detroit

I was checking out buildings I worked in years ago and found this charming hobo couple sitting on the sidewalk leaning on a wall. Heads are surface firehydrants and bodies are garbage bags. St-Paul street Old Montreal.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...236.37,,0,4.45

I put this up in Non Detroit threads a while back but didnt get no response none.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I was checking out buildings I worked in years ago and found this charming hobo couple sitting on the sidewalk leaning on a wall. Heads are surface firehydrants and bodies are garbage bags. St-Paul street Old Montreal.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...236.37,,0,4.45

I put this up in Non Detroit threads a while back but didnt get no response none.
    Could be because it just shows a map of North America

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.027637&z=16

Sorry about that jcole, the link worked on the first thread but my copying didnt work on the last one...

Not street view but interesting I think though. On this 1949 aerial I couldn't help but notice that there appears to be a game going on at Briggs Stadium. If you zoom in and look closely you can see players on the field and what appears to be specks of people in the bleachers. Checking the history there was in fact a game that day against the St Louis Browns which they won 9 to 6 against the Tigers.

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/par...49/ha-4-82.pdf

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=194904280DET

Quote Originally Posted by fareastsider View Post
    Not street view but interesting I think though. On this 1949 aerial I couldn't help but notice that there appears to be a game going on at Briggs Stadium. If you zoom in and look closely you can see players on the field and what appears to be specks of people in the bleachers.
    There's a couple of interesting items in that shot. Western Market was in it's heyday then, at Michigan and 20th. You can see the shed that was similar to the one at Eastern Market, and the buildings surrounding the parking lot were all wholesale dealers, everything from cigarettes to meat.

South of there at Vernor and 20th is what appears to be a white spot, or cleared area. That is the old Vernor police precinct station that was being built that year. I think it opened around November, 1949, if I recall correctly. Today, sigh, it's a graffiti-covered wreck.

I found the building where my mother worked at that time, American Greetings, on Fort just east of the Ambassador Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There's a couple of interesting items in that shot. Western Market was in it's heyday then, at Michigan and 20th. You can see the shed that was similar to the one at Eastern Market, and the buildings surrounding the parking lot were all wholesale dealers, everything from cigarettes to meat.

South of there at Vernor and 20th is what appears to be a white spot, or cleared area. That is the old Vernor police precinct station that was being built that year. I think it opened around November, 1949, if I recall correctly. Today, sigh, it's a graffiti-covered wreck.
    The amount of vacant land north of Tiger Stadium that was all houses is unbelievable. Also under the date in the corner is a building bounded on 4 sides by alleys. You can still see the square area bounded by alleys today though vacant. I wonder what that was and why it would be accessed in such an odd way?
    The block is bounded by I96, Buchanan, Lawton and Poplar today.
    Last edited by fareastsider; September-17-10 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fareastsider View Post
    Not street view but interesting I think though. On this 1949 aerial I couldn't help but notice that there appears to be a game going on at Briggs Stadium. If you zoom in and look closely you can see players on the field and what appears to be specks of people in the bleachers. Checking the history there was in fact a game that day against the St Louis Browns which they won 9 to 6 against the Tigers.

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/par...49/ha-4-82.pdf

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=194904280DET
    I HATE losing to the Browns!

Enterprising young Detroitsters built their first car.

I always get a kick out of the reaction the Googlemobile gets from people. It's always recorded and it's always the same:
    WTF is that?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Enterprising young Detroitsters built their first car.

I always get a kick out of the reaction the Googlemobile gets from people. It's always recorded and it's always the same:
    WTF is that?!
    That's sweet! My cousin and I used to build ones like that in the sixties. It's nice to see these kids not stuck in a basement playing video games.

I didn't see it here [[though I was scanning pretty fast) but here is the link to a thread on the same topic: Pieces of Detroit - Now You See Them, Now You Don't

Anybody need a satellite dish?

Belvidere & Louis

Also look at Belvidere n/o Jefferson for a contrast between the aerial view and the street view. Street View shows 3 dilapidated but standing houses, appears to be dated in 2010. Aerial view shows burned out rubble and appears to be dated in 2011.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Meddle, that would be trespassing and theft...lol I just wanted to beat everyone else to it [[see every thread about abandoned buildings ever).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6