Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

All of you are making my sides hurt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    The only reason I ran across that intersection is that there was a murder across the intersection from there. I was curiously searching the neighborhood around it and i somehow spotted that oddity.

In the old street view I saw my car at my old place in Lafayette Park. In the new one my father is outside mowing his lawn in Lansing.
    You threw me there for a moment. First you said you didn't know much about St. Louis, then you said you lived in Lafayette Park [[apparently both Detroit and St. Louis have a Lafayette Park).

Here's another before-and-after
    Potomac at Ohio
    before
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.013797&z=16

after

Arsenal at Wisconsin. Building changes color in the new image.

Pestalozzi at Missouri demolition

Seems like this happens a lot. It's interesting, but not uncommon.
    Last edited by LeannaM; April-22-10 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Someone is face down on the sidewalk.
    5806 dubois, detroit

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05.23,,0,12.32
    It seems as though he tripped.

He probably craned his neck to look at the car driving by with the mattress on top.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    You threw me there for a moment. First you said you didn't know much about St. Louis, then you said you lived in Lafayette Park [[apparently both Detroit and St. Louis have a Lafayette Park).
    Actually I know St. Louis quite well. My fiance lived there for a while, and some of her family lives there and we visit frequently. I consider it "Detroit of the lower midwest" as they are very misunderstood much like us, and the city is an absolute gem. Now i'm craving toasted ravioli!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    Actually I know St. Louis quite well. My fiance lived there for a while, and some of her family lives there and we visit frequently. I consider it "Detroit of the lower midwest" as they are very misunderstood much like us, and the city is an absolute gem. Now i'm craving toasted ravioli!!
    Sorry. I was confusing you with bearinabox.

The car down to the left in front of the red one didn't photograph so well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...51.84,,0,-1.61

I think its comical that at some of these bombed out deserted intersections they have brand new cement sidewalk approaches with the little traction pad. I know theres a lawyer out there that would love a slip and fall case but really? Who puts out a contract to replace these in such areas and who is loving the pay? This to me is a big waste of money.

I posted these abandoned boats on some other thread recently. They're like fish out of water.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It seems as though he tripped.

I think he went down in a giggle shit-fit over the fact the city was bothering to pave the sidewalk at that intersection!

[[missed your comments, OneShot, cheers)
    Last edited by Gannon; April-22-10 at 07:32 PM. Reason: (caught OneShot's comments)

Although I'd bet the pastor of the Promise Land church recognizes all of Bernard's Boyz when they show up to collect!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I posted these abandoned boats on some other thread recently. They're like fish out of water.

I thought they had cars/vans that drove around to get these images. It doesn't look like anything can drive between those boats.

thatguy123 Guest

This is not in Detroit so I do apologize ahead of time but it is a Google street view definitely work posting and i think ppl will enjoy! It is from a random intersection in Plymouth England Party on!

http://tinyurl.com/29ajz42

Bella, if you "drive" the image to the end, you will see there is plenty of room to drive between the boats, but it gets kind of blurry at the point of passage. That must have been a fun street. It looks like fallow farmland. Were all those streets cleared for City Airport?

There's another one on the same street
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...,0.003449&z=18

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Bella, if you "drive" the image to the end, you will see there is plenty of room to drive between the boats, but it gets kind of blurry at the point of passage. That must have been a fun street. It looks like fallow farmland. Were all those streets cleared for City Airport?

I did drive it. I absolutely LOVE e-driving around the city!! It's kind of medication for my homesickness. I do it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I did drive it. I absolutely LOVE e-driving around the city!! It's kind of medication for my homesickness. I do it a lot.
    Yup, me too, Bella. Almost like taking a drive around the old town, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I thought they had cars/vans that drove around to get these images. It doesn't look like anything can drive between those boats.
    Well, however they did it, they did it. I read somewhere they're putting cameras on bicycles now. Maybe that's how they did it.

What a great time to be alive, witnessing all this unprecedented craziness.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-22-10 at 10:22 PM.

you gotta have some balls to drive down that dead end street in that area, notice two abandoned boats in the middle of what is essentially no where, and then decide to drive around the boats and to the end of the dead end... all this for $8 an hour.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup, me too, Bella. Almost like taking a drive around the old town, eh?
    Yes! I miss it there every minute.

Right now I am in an Arizona snowstorm.

Hey guys, the new cement corners of intersections weren't just some random act of kindness on the city's part. They are the result of a lawsuit against the state for "failure to comply" to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

That included disabled boats too, apparently.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-23-10 at 12:24 AM. Reason: sp error

The mystery of the abandoned boats is compelling. How did they come to be? They're too far from water to have landed there naturally. So they must have become separated from their trailers somehow. Yet they're abandoned without their trailers. Were their trailers deemed more valuable than their trailers' cargo? What madness is this?
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-22-10 at 11:19 PM.

The mystery of the abandoned boats is compelling. How did they come to be? They're too far from water to have landed there naturally. So they must have become separated from their trailers somehow. Yet they're abandoned without their trailers. Were their trailers deemed more valuable than their trailers' cargo? What madness is this?

I knew some guys in the hood [[not my friends) who would steal boats from people's yards, trailer and all, then strip out the motors and dump them. I've also heard about people who's boat motors blow up, they strip them, and then dump the boats. I'm told that this is because the disposal of the boat carcass is expensive. I've never owned a boat so I wouldn't know personally.

The funny thing is, I've actually SEEN 3 guys pull up at the corner of Exeter and Remington [[by State Fair and JohnR) at around 1am, pull their 18 footer off of their trailer, dump it right at the corner, and drive away like nothing happened. When I followed them to get their license plate #, they hopped on I-75 north. Within 2 days the boat was stripped and set on fire.

It's the new way of making offerings to the water gods.

What you saw was the captain of the great lakes freighters offering up a boat for safe passage. They come from all over the world to Detroit to do that. That's why it was set on fire. It has a lot more mojo than just burning incense.
    Last edited by RickBeall; April-23-10 at 03:04 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast