Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    True, but would these be considered controlled access roadways? If that's the case then people are S.O.L. The Bridge should definitly allow bikes and people back on the sidewalk, but the tunnel has no room for a bike lane. I know we're supposed to ride on the road and act like a car, but when traffic gets moving in the tunnel, you won't be able to keep up and then you get killed, or delay cross border movement severly since there's no wiggle room to get around you. Plus cyclist weave around all over the place, with the lack of space in the tunnel a cyclists would get clipped by vehicles left right and center. Not to mention all the fumes being blown directly in your face. At least in a car you can roll up the window.

The only real solutions are re-open the bridge to pedestrians, a new pedestrian ferry between the cities, or you try and talk the truck ferry operator into taking you over.
    Theoretically the same argument could apply to all roads. I do agree that it’s better to pursue the bridge option over the tunnel. I also bitch quite frequently about how Amtrak doesn’t accommodate bike racks in Michigan trains but does on other routes. Is their a group I can join to voice my opinion about this or do I need to form one?

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    . Is their a group I can join to voice my opinion about this or do I need to form one?
    Try this Russix: http://www.m-bike.org/

I don't know their whole story, but they promote bike freindly communities and whatnot. You can leave replies. If they arn't what you're looking for, I'd bet there's a link in there somewhere that will point you in the right direction.

I read somewhere that Windsor is working to become a bicycle friendly city, maybe their Council can work out how to get bike racks on the cross border bus. That would be the most convenient way to get across, other than riding across the bridge on a separate lane. There is no way I would ride the tunnel.

I sense a lawsuit. Bikes are legally entitled to roads with the exception of freeways. Since neither the bridge or the tunnel qualify as a freeway you should be legally allowed to roll up to a toll both, pay your toll, and cross like any other vehicle. [[Bikes are vehicles under state law and must follow Michigan Vehicular codes or face the same punishment as motorist[[for example: you can get a DUI on a bicycle)).
    The bridge and tunnel are NOT publicly owned roads. You do not have the same rights on a publicly owned facility. This is similar to giving up your right to free speech and lawful assembly at a shopping mall [[or even campus martius).

Isn't having for-profit private border crossings which economically discriminate based on transportation a little wrong anyways? Bikes and pedestrians aren't allowed on the Bluewater Bridge either.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The bridge and tunnel are NOT publicly owned roads. You do not have the same rights on a publicly owned facility. This is similar to giving up your right to free speech and lawful assembly at a shopping mall [[or even campus martius).
    So theoretically you could drive your car as fast as you want into oncoming traffic since the rules of the road are unenforceable as nobody has the authority to pick and choose which parts of Traffic Laws are applicable.

So theoretically you could drive your car as fast as you want into oncoming traffic since the rules of the road are unenforceable as nobody has the authority to pick and choose which parts of Traffic Laws are applicable.
    I dunno about that, particularly on the bridge. The law of gravity still applies. I'm sure that you would be in a heap of trouble with your insurance company should you just plow into other vehicles, and it would give the border guards a reason to scrutinize you further.

Just like in a mall, the management can call the cops on you. The cops in this case are federal agents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2