Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 77 of 432 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 87 127 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Default ..doings..

DK ... and Gar Woodians yes, things are sorta in the works for other days...there is, of course the gathering at Gallup Park on the Huron River [[AnnArbor) on Sunday, 14. I can only project a gathering the night before the reunion, on Friday night, again in Ann Arbor...it would be to meet at the bar complex in AnnArbor right next to the Blind Pig [[1K knows this bar)...My long-time friend Nick has owned and operated this series of bars-[[Millennium Club, Cavern Club, Circus, Gotham City) for the past 12 years...I know that GarWooders would rather have something like this actually in DETROIT, but, this is all I can offer...the "Circus" bar is fairly large, offers free pool tables, big screen TV's, a few games, and full bar with some tables and chairs...my thought is that it would be a good place for us to meet -say around 10 pm, and greet the people coming in from all over the U.S., have a drink, [[cash bar) laugh and be merry men and women...I'm just throwing this out there, everyone...let me know what you think...
    Hoover was talking about a lunch on the 13th at Zingermans at 2:00, but I'm not sure if he's done anything with that yet,..so, S.R.... talk

Default Hart Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by det313grrl View Post
    Gleeman, glad you like the pics. Here are a couple aerials of Hart Plaza.

Attachment 1331

Attachment 1332
    Detgirl313,,,,I used to ice skate @ Hart Plaza back in the early 80's. Lot of fun. Then I'd head to the bar and watch the rink from there. Good memories!

dgrl.......those are some great shots! That's dafinately not the Detroit I remember.

1kd......you've got a rare tallship coming in for River Days. I checked it out on the link dgrl posted and got to admit the photo threw me for a loop. I've never seen [[or known about) a square-rigged topsailer. Verrrry cooool!

Glmn.....that's all PPT stuff. Nothing like what you're doing. But, it is fun.

Stn..o.k. ppt...I would need to buy the ppt for mac and wont because my toothpicks cost too much....good job tho...

update...FORGET about the HooverZingermans thing on Saturday...its been cancelled...

Gleeman's suggestion for Friday night sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitgirl80 View Post
    Detgirl313,,,,I used to ice skate @ Hart Plaza back in the early 80's. Lot of fun. Then I'd head to the bar and watch the rink from there. Good memories!
    Funny, so did I, back in the late 70's.

Have you been here?
    Attachment 1334

http://www.campusmartiuspark.org/

It might be a small rink for some people,

I hung up my skates a while ago!

Last edited by det313grrl; June-23-09 at 11:41 AM.

This ones for you Hoover!
    Attachment 1335
    Last edited by det313grrl; June-17-09 at 11:38 AM.

Do they make ice skates that you can strap onto your ass? I might need a pair.

Gleeman wrote:
    >>there is, of course the gathering at Gallup Park on the Huron River [[AnnArbor) on Sunday, 14.

It sounds like this is too late, but if you needed an excuse to tool around Detroit on Sunday, the John's Carpet House jam is on Sunday June 14, from 5 until dark [[9:30 ish). It's an eclectic mix of ordinary people, street people, hookers, folks with kids and barbecues, motor cyclists, blues musicians --you know just ordinary folk like you. They drag a generator into a field and hold the jam under a tree. They have a porta-potty this year. I've been going to this for years. You can see pictures here: http://johnscarpethouse.com .

The Jam is located near the Eastern Market and the Detroit Institute of Arts [[near I-75 and Warren Rd). So you are within striking distance of the area where the Garwood Mansion was [[making a rough guess of 10 miles).

I just thought I'd mention it.

And, just so you can find them, and stay in the proper mood, here are the "Garwood Anthem" and "Hoover was a Mover" songs.

Garwood Anthem:

--as sung by Mr Natural [[ hip and slightly paronoid, that's whoor who I was trying to sound like as I sang this. ) [[I think I suceeded in some verses and not so well in others.) ;-)

http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/StLoJ1...-Rick_KeyG.m3u

And lest we forget the legendary, fictionalized [[I did make some of this up), wheeled contraption, a shaker and a mover, the man who brought the bands to the Garwood:

Hoover was a Mover:
    http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/StHiJ1...-Rick_KeyG.m3u
    Last edited by RickBeall; May-22-09 at 04:42 PM.

I will be at Gallup Park for many.hours on Sunday...its very nice...down by the river ...

Ditto to that.

Stn, I haven't hung up my skates yet...how 'bout a sled under your ass at the end of a rope which I will pull at a great rate of speed ...well, maybe the other skaters wouldn't appreciate that, but it would be a helluva ride...

So much to think about.
    Attachment 1337
    Last edited by old guy; August-08-09 at 03:20 PM.

OG.......come on now. Everybody knows that without Hoover, many of us wouldn't have had the Garwood experience. Through his benevolence and grace, along with unbridled compassion, he saw fit to let me in the front door and take up residence. The rest came in later, but it was that first act of kindness toward this old hippie that set the glorious ball rolling. He was the "Joy Bringer of Garwood", and somehow, he kept bringing that positive spirit around wherever he went. I [[we) owe the guy a lot, and I hope someday I'll be able to repay him for playing a major part in one of the most fantastic voyages this old fart has ever been on. [[Nice place for the reminder note.)

OG...Did you wash your hands......and what about remembering to flush, did you shut the light off......

Boy here we go again....postings are getting thin.....Have you ever wondered if there is a coralation between the few left here to post and being the last to leave [[or get thrown out) a party or bar.....

I've also been wondering what happened to the folks we don't hear from any more....Bent Spur .... rochetwhit.....southernboy......and where is Vic....I know he would have a few stories to tell.....and 4string.... Sug.....Where are you guys??????...What about Annie....Linda and a few other gals.....boy I'd like to be a fly on the wall when these gals get together.....

Guess I hoping that we don't give up on this thing.....I'm sure it will run its natural course in time, if it hasn't already....I sure hope not

Ditto to that Gash.

yes and we'll have to keep this going AFTER the reunion, so that we can start planning for next years Reunion in MAUI
    MAUI with rona, right Ruth ? right Detgrrl...right Isle ? Stn u have no excuse.... right Margie, and we'll pool some cash to get people there.. remember the airfares from CA to Honolulu are $300 cheaper now...Hoover...no problem...Gash, you'll be there...

I hope everyone, no matter how close or far away makes an attempt to document their trip to the reunion. I think that could make a good compilation after the fact. Even if you just purchase a disposable digital camera and snap a dozen photos of your trip. We can put them all together later. They don't even have to be photos of you, but photos of what it took to get there. A good way to get creative. And.... if you can't make it, what's going on while you're not there. Think about it a little. The point you depart from, transportation etc. x a bunch of people arriving from a lot of different places. Just a thought. I'd be happy to collect via the internet later, compile and put on DVD's for everyone. I do a lot of that. It's more interesting than you might think, even if you're just driving 30 miles to get there.

[SIZE="4"]All the important people are posting on this thread right now!![/SIZE]

What the f%$k?!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Ditto to that Gash.
    Kinda'goin' thru the retrospective time of a manic birthday. Quote: "I'll be back" or at least after we make cannibus legal. [[ the Guvernator) Maybe Carlos Santana for Guv then Prez. He is staying close to home this summer in Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel.

I'm with you gleeman next reunion in MAUI
    now all we need is some

MAUI

Well I for one intend on keeping in touch with many of you folks in one way or another......I totally know that travel is weird these days but with phones, computers, smoke signals, stand on mountain tops, what ever.....A weekend trip to Wisc, N.C. maybe even Fla. and definitely Mi......Hawaii may be a challenge but doable.......Nuff smush...I'm going to get a buzz on......but....Think about it.......

Great idea OG
    I borrowed a flip movie camera for those OHHH so unexpected moments.

And I have a photographic memory.....but right now my lens is a bit blurry.....yeah I know!!!....but you should see it from this side.....wwoooowww....Be sure to bring pics you may have of events you have been through since GW days....it would be neat to see what we have been up to......Mug shots don't cut it....

Page 77 of 432 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 87 127 177 ... LastLast