Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 57 of 432 FirstFirst ... 7 47 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 107 157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Stnfrnt,

Thanks. I think that citing sensationalism on the part of the "reporter" would be giving her too much credit. Those "rear view mirror" articles are apparently written by lowly archivists who cull all their info and photos from the Detroit News archives. There is zero first hand reporting going on and worse they merely propagate the inaccuracies made by reporters from decades past !
    I don't suffer inaccuracies like those in print or on the web lightly.
    It is sad that this article remains one of the only online to tell the "story".

IMHO the Garwoodians stewardship of the mansion should be properly documented somehow as a matter of public record. Also, the 2001 Detroit News article needs to be amended.

Will there be any press at the reunion ?

Respectfully,

Leo B
    www.thegrandeballroom.com

Press? Perhaps

Thanks BushMark

As I live and breath.....Stillrockin.it's really good to see you up and about.....I hope that you will be re-joining us as we frolic in this wave of reminiscing mania.....But more important, take good care of yourself. After all you are the only one of you that you get in this crazy ol world....We get a lot of second chances but not when health is concerned......hope to see you soon.

Looks like things were pretty crazy down in Florida in Hoover's hospital room.
    Attachment 1017
    Last edited by old guy; August-08-09 at 03:20 PM.

Leo B....well stated, friend. Perhaps one day a print version of "The Life and Death of the Gar Wood Mansion" could be collectively authored by those who actually lived there during those crazy, wonderful years. I don't know if you are aware of the fact that there is an incredibly talented photojournalist named John Collier who chronicled the everyday life of Garwoodians for several years. He has recently come forward, after nearly 35yrs, with some of his work, and I'm here to tell you that there is some amazing stuff in his archives. He can tell the real story of the Gar Wood through his work better than any words by any author. He will be at the reunion, but in the mean time you can check out a tiny sample of what I'm trying to relate by going to www.collierpics.blogspot.com. Your suggestions will not be ignored. BushMark might have a word or two in rebuttal to the Detroit News article.

My apologies to the Free Press for mistakenly blaming them for that ridiculous article.

Stillrockin......man, am I glad you're doin' alright. Don't know what happened, but I get the feeling it was no "day at the beach" for you. I'm pulling for a healthy recovery for you, bro, so try to leave those nurses alone. Does this mean your wrestling match with Margie's guy, Mike, has to be canceled due to an injury while training? If so, let me know so I can get a replacement. Probably throw Margie in the ring and bet the farm on her to win. Whaddya' think? Slam dunk, huh?

Well if we will be looking for replacements to wrestle Margie.....I guess I can be persuaded into volunteering.....I know, it's a big move on my part, but hey, I'll do what ever is needed to make the reunion a success.....A big sacrifice, but I'm willing to step up and meet the challenge.....What say y'all

I'll even go one further and take on Ruth, Dgrl, Isle of fun, and any other willing young loveleys as coach/trainer, sparing partner,etc.....And, OG and Stlrkn, I could use a sponsor....maybe Sug could even ref the match.......I'm open to private matches as well....no thank yous needed....someone had to step up....I'd be honored to oblige.

Good to see you're feeling better Gash.

SUG I didn't get any photos in email or on the blog... hey don't worry about it - maybe this is something that can be done after the reunion...

NEW TOPIC....let's all not worry too much about what happened with the gar wood ... seems like we all had a lotta experiences there-let that be enough

sorta like why all the worry about what happened 2000 years ago [[and this is only MY take on it) to what was probably a very good man in Jerusalem ? ... its not going to change the world now, as man can't seem to get it together enough to save either humanity OR the planet ...

Gash.......hey, dude, you've got it all wrong! Hoover was supposed to wrestle Mike, Margie's husband. Of course, all the big money was on Mike. Now, with Hoover injured during training, I was going to replace him with Margie. She was going to wrestle her husband, Mike. See? Now all the big money switches sides cause Mike ain't no dummy. I thought that was made clear in #1410. Did you go to school out here.........in California?

Someone tell me again. Why are we having this reunion?

Kinda lost me there Gleeman.

Stnfnt....are you sure....I thought Mike was wrestleing the bear and the winner would wrestle Hover...and a championship match between OG and Hoover.....either way, should it be that someone has to wrestle Margie....I'd do the honorable thing and volunteer...thats all I'm saying.....They got schoools in Calif....wow....Well that explains a few things........

By the way, I don't know why some are having this reunion...but I'm NOT having it to listen to a bunch of other bands/players/wannabe type, other thatn Stonefront.etal.....I'm pretty sure it is to revisit a time in our lives that we all shared and to party the way we use to......or at least try to!!!!!

Gash....we got schools in California! For the life of me, I don't know why. Nobody ever goes to them, but everybody wants to start out at $60,000 when they turn 18. It really is a status symbol thing if you can wreck the Ferrari on the way to re-hab. Ya know?

OG....you'll get used to it. Where's the walleye?

Now, now folks. People have been invited to come and jam with the band so that's cool with me. I plan on doing a lot of listening myself, since I can't play, and any decent vocal chops went south long ago. There might be a few things happening, but don't start scalping tickets yet.

sorry, O.G. ... I've got problems with organized religions. Apologies to those who don't.

Stn, we're having the Reunion to see all our old friends .

Gash, I'm with ya ....

Look out Hoover...I can't take Mike...I came home one day after a self defense class and said to Mike...just come up behind me and I will show you what I learned, well I was down on the floor in one second !Attachment 1026

Gash...I think I will stick to dancin across the floor with you.
    Markley...Your a funny boy ! Two more days !
    Last edited by Margie; October-14-09 at 10:02 AM.

Gleeman...I'm with you on that one !
    Organized Religions are white washed sepulchres full of dead mens bones.

Thanks to everyone for setting the record straight on two things: #1. Who was responsible for trashing the house. Maybe we didn't restore and rehab the house, but we surely didn't trash it. There was a lot of loving care on the part of some of the residents and visitors. #2. I don't give a damn if Mott The Hoople shows up at our reunion, I want Stonefront, et al, [[as someone else here, put it) to pick 'em up and git pickin'. That'll surely warm this old heart. Of course, with the help of a little Jack.

I think it was Whaler that said he was in San Diego and SoCal in the late 70's. Here's a pic for you Whaler. Coronado Bay near Ocean Beach, summer of 1979. Did I get my beach right? On the hillside going out to Point Loma? Arrrgghhh.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; May-17-09 at 07:13 PM.

Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell.
    Spirituality is for people who have been through hell and don't want to go back.

Mark Twain, on one of his visits to Hawaii, was being told about the history of the missionary work done over the years to convert the natives over to Christianity. Knowing of the "fire and brimstone" approach often used by missionaries, he remarked that he was happy for the people, but he reckoned he felt right sorry for those poor native souls who died and went to their graves before they found out what hell was all about.

homeboy says..............

Attachment 1028
    Last edited by stnfrnt; May-12-09 at 03:29 PM.

Morning F.O.G. Pacific coast Highway...did some sweet camping near pfeiffer BeachAttachment 1030
    Last edited by Margie; October-14-09 at 10:02 AM.

Page 57 of 432 FirstFirst ... 7 47 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 107 157 ... LastLast