Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 234 of 432 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 244 284 334 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Whaa......??

Happy birthday, Ruth

well lets talk about Haiti...I'm hoping that some of you saw that Telethon concert for Haiti last night...it was something really kinda special..I didn't see all of it, but landed on it just in time to see Sheryl Crow, Kid Rock, and Keith Urban get together for a triple-harmony version of "Somebody to lean On.., and U2, Jay Z, and Rihanna combined, Dave Mathews and Neil Young together, and Justin Timberlake combined on the "Hallelujahsong [[I almost had a tear going) with another singer [[who WAS that?), Stevie Wonder, I missed some I think...
    -hoping this will be shown again...

ooohhhhh - Waaay to much wine last night - but it as a great birthday!
    Thanks for all the good wishes.
    thanks for the link Stn.....by their calculations I can retire ..aahh NEVER!.

Gleeman..I Turned on the Show about 20 min befor you..Madonna and and Large Church Choir..I also would love to see the whole Benefit...Very sad story in Haiti....

Happy un-Birthday Ruth. "May you be forever young.".

Quote Originally Posted by stillrockin View Post
    To all my friends that lived at Garwood Mansion How many people that lived at Garwood are planing to attend the festevities this June.?

Hoover
    Hopping a cruise to Alaska first. will make it if not overspent.

Can we have a telethon for the people in this country who are living [[dying) on our own streets? Haiti is a horrendous situation by any standard, but so is Appalchia. Fifth Street here in LA.is devastating to travel through, and our homeless population is not restricted to warm climates, as I'm sure some of you Detroiters know. At last count, we had approximately 3,500,000 homeless people, of which 1/3 are children. What is it that makes us bust our asses with telethons and $10 texting donations when something horrific happens to people in some other part of the world, but we can't seem to help the lady in the photo?

Last edited by stnfrnt; July-08-10 at 05:04 PM.

Boy can I ever back you on that one Stnft ..... It is just awful what the Haitian people are going through ...... But, as you pointed out , our own people are suffering daily. There were 20+ deaths in my area due to people freezing to death during the past cold snap we had down here........ and it is a daily report of the death or murder of homeless person here in Nashville .........Any way it is what it is I guess ...........

Been some rough weather out your way Stnft....... I remember the pics you had of the terrible storms of the 80s where 20 / 30+ shore break waves devastated the beach area and all in it's path ...... with the exception of a couple knuckle heads standing in the parking lot watching it all as 2+ ton boulders crash through buildings and waves rip out piers and jetty's ...... and with the grace of God and pure luck these knuckle heads survived ...... bet they wouldn't try that sober ..... well maybe they would ......Just remember........It's not nice to piss off Mother Nature ...... She can really screw up a picnic ..........

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    1kd......you nailed it, amigo, and now we, as individuals, must do something, no matter how trivial it might seem at the time, to try and help. It's okay [[I guees) to NOT be part of the problem. It's waaaay better to be part of a solution. Don't give up the ship just yet.
    Stoney, I never give up. As cynical and defeated as I may sound at times, I'm an outspoken, loud, big-mouthed, mother------. It's what keeps my hopeful, optimistic side alive. I volunteer, work and give back all that I can. That's part of the solution, though, at times, I'm not quite sure how much a part. Regardless, I keep chugging along in the face of all evidence that big business and big politics rule. Humans mean very little in our modern world. If I can help one person who is less fortunate than me, I guess I've made a difference. At least it feels like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post
    Hi Margie

It just seems that everyone who signed a piece of paper have all jammed up regarding the GW
    so I went hunting for more people of those days.
    We met this wonderful musician while eating in a A2 restaurant,on June 13th 2009. He said his parents used to party at the GW and now lived close to us. I am just getting around to following that lead as I am sure they did not sign any piece of paper and can probably talk openly.
    There are still a lot of people that we listed before and hopefully they can liven up the GW stories some more.

Heres an old poster from 1972 via a Detroit highschool site that has all or mostly all the Grande Ballroom posters

Attachment 4948
    Thanks for that poster, Margie. I went to a number of concerts at The Park in North Baltimore, Ohio. It's just south of Bowling Green. My friends and I became enamored of The Park as a place to see shows because it was an easy, few hours ride on our motorcycles. It was an outdoor venue, great in warm weather, and the audience was very near the stage. I'm not sure if I saw Canned Heat, but I have very clear memories of Spirit and other Detroit bands.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Stoney, I never give up. As cynical and defeated as I may sound at times, I'm an outspoken, loud, big-mouthed, mother------. It's what keeps my hopeful, optimistic side alive. I volunteer, work and give back all that I can. That's part of the solution, though, at times, I'm not quite sure how much a part. Regardless, I keep chugging along in the face of all evidence that big business and big politics rule. Humans mean very little in our modern world. If I can help one person who is less fortunate than me, I guess I've made a difference. At least it feels like it.
    "I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." John Trudell ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeman View Post
    HALPPY BIRFdAaee to you....after the pizza, a shot of Tequila will only enhance the festivity...
    C/mon Gleeman. Ruthie, don't lsten to Gleeman. You'll need at least a half dozen shots of tekillya to really loosen up. Bruce, are you listening? Get your head out of those books for a minute and help Ruthie celebrate. Cuervo, Patron, whatever. I've got a bottle of Patron on my back bar. I'll save it for your delayed celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by stillrockin View Post
    To all my friends that lived at Garwood Mansion How many people that lived at Garwood are planing to attend the festevities this June.?

Hoover
    Hoov, are you coming? Would you like me to reserve the penthouse on my roof by the HVAC unit? Sorry, OG has the cellar and I think Stone will be stayng in the hammock I suspended from the basement rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by gash View Post
    Ruthie Baby.....Happy Freakin B-Day.... consider yourself, Hugged --- Kissed ---- Fondled ---- and Affectionately Loved, in what ever way makes your, Rickey Ticky, or yourWiggle Waggle, or yourThing Sing, as long as it makes you feel good, and know that you are Loved by all of us ....... Where would we be with out you ....... bunches of love and appreciation .............. keep Doin Good Things
    Ruthie, Gash said it so well, funny and affectionately, I second his wishes. Happy Birthday. You're young and getting younger. It shows in all and everything you do.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; January-23-10 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Can we have a telethon for the people in this country who are living [[dying) on our own streets? Haiti is a horrendous situation by any standard, but so is Appalchia. Fifth Street here in LA.is devastating to travel through, and our homeless population is not restricted to warm climates, as I'm sure some of you Detroiters know. At last count, we had approximately 3,500,000 homeless people, of which 1/3 are children. What is it that makes us bust our asses with telethons and $10 texting donations when something horrific happens to people in some other part of the world, but we can't seem to help the lady in the photo?

Stone's post is exactly the kind of thinking we need to promote in our entire world. A horrendous event such as happened in Haiti, turns our whole world's attention to that event. That's a good thing BUT, it takes our attention from all of the everyday needs of people of the world. I am heartened by the care and concern for the victims of disaster in Haiti. What about all of the others in our world and country, suffering day to day? I think [[cynically), that disasters serve the purposes of the powerful to sway our attention from people's daily suffering.

a) I never signed no 'steenking' piece of paper.

b) Spirit is a California band.

c) Knuckleheads?

Stone,1kd..While I totally agree with your thoughts and sentaments..Is there not a way to Give aid to all who suffer...I said the same thing to my wife Kim Weds"We have so Much Suffering here at Home New Orleans is still in a very bad way"..But still my Heart goes out to all who suffer

This pic was taken downtown last month...If anyone wants to go downtown some this spring and hang on the corner and jam and sing some love and encouragement to the people...I'm there!
    Attachment 4963
    Last edited by Margie; February-22-10 at 07:52 PM.

I would be in for this one!!!!!!

We have all been kissed. We can all tuck in now. ;-)

Rkbl....that don't work for me.

Hey Hoover.......the Gash Brothers will be at the reunion in full costume. Maybe you could bring some Haitian refugees with you. 400,000 will be in the first wave of the "relocation" effort. Better put another couple rows of concertina wire out on your perimeter. Claymores work pretty well also.

Hey Larry if your looking to get married you should come to Florida soon so you can have sombody to take care of you in your old age .

Hoover

Hey Stone...You don't have to that far..We have room for you right here!Attachment 4972