Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 189 of 432 FirstFirst ... 89 139 179 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 199 239 289 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

John Fogerty on PBS right now

I've always liked John. Just good, no nonsense rock n roll....

We saw John Fogerty last year and it was a great concert. He's playing in Denver week after next--would love to go see him again. ~Penny

Does anybody know if there is an Anti-Pollution law that that would force Congress to get rid of Nancy Pelosi and her cohorts or face a huge fine and imprisonment? That f#$%&ng wacko bitch is only two well placed head shots away from the Presidency, and that is unacceptable. What am I not understanding about her latest "hoorah"? Do I have to pay a fine if I can't afford health insurance? Yo no comprendo, amigos!
    Last edited by stnfrnt; November-08-09 at 12:21 PM. Reason: options

The problem, Stoney, is this : who would you rather be in her place? We aren't known for having the brightest bulbs in our congress. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to get there. A little bit of smarts and a whole lot of money is more like the equation. Then you have to consider - what do those dim bulbs have to do to get the money? Now that's an ugly thought. Our system is so skewed by money that we're [[you know, us stiffs at the lower end of the socio-economic spectrum) lucky to get any thing at all. I worked my ass off for democrats in the last election. I'm not even a democrat. What were the choices? Duhhhhh? My status as an Independent was sorely tested during the last 8 years. 'Change You Can Believe In!' Sorry, I'm still in disbelief.

We're all going through the change now. I guess a young, vibrant democracy can't forever stay young.

Or vibrant, or a democracy.

Time to re-read Gore Vidal's EMPIRE and BURR. Ripped from today's headlines, as they say. Gore Vidal being related to Al Gore.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Thanks Jeep. Tell us more about you guys playing at the Poison Apple.
    I loved playing there. We were treated well. One of my favorite memories is the fact that the room sounded good from my seat and that is not always true for the drummer. My worst memory of that gig has stayed with me forever. I'm not a drinker, I drank alcohol four times in my life. A gig there was one of them. Lot's of tequila and beer on top of a spaghetti dinner. It was not pretty.

Stnfrnt... I'll let you know about the roadie gig.

I saw Steely Dan last night. They were fantastic! They performed the "Aja" album as well as many more of their hits. The band was comprised of some of the top New York Jazz cats on the scene today. Keith Carlock on drums. The guy is a hero, check him out.

If anyone's expecting the economy to pull out of the horrible mess it's fallen into in just one year, I don't think you're seeing the whole picture. I'm afraid that we've become so accustomed to the fast food, I want everything right now mindset that we might not be capable as a society to tackle problems of this magnitude any more. A bumper sticker mentality isn't going to fix this one. Hope for the best and do what you can to help.

Oh yeah, check out the 42 point buck tooth white tail. Spotted outside of taverns around here this time of year.
    Attachment 3777
    Last edited by old guy; December-10-09 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    If anyone's expecting the economy to pull out of the horrible mess it's fallen into in just one year, I don't think you're seeing the whole picture. I'm afraid that we've become so accustomed to the fast food, I want everything right now mindset that we might not be capable as a society to tackle problems of this magnitude any more. A bumper sticker mentality isn't going to fix this one. Hope for the best and do what you can to help.

Uhhhhhhhh.................?

Buy American......pretty simple, huh?
    Last edited by stnfrnt; November-09-09 at 03:54 PM. Reason: synapse

Try finding something American to buy. Every goddamn thing seems to be made in China. I looked for jeans made in the US and you have to pay close to $200 for the brands I saw at the mall.

Oh yeah, check out the 42 point buck tooth white tail. Spotted outside of taverns around here this time of year.
    Attachment 3777
    Was that the Buck that was spotted after 18 beers and a couple hits of psilocybin?

OG, I think I understand and agree with your basic point. My problem with this administration is that we're still in the middle of a war in Iraq, a war in Afghanistan and not making much headway on social issues at home. I expected 'Change I/You Can Believe In'. I've yet to see it. BIG change. Fast change. Dramatic change. The first year is the heavy work because the next one chases an election and the two after, well .........What happened with Guantanamo? What happened with investigations of corruption.? What happened with regulation of Wall Street? Our president has to stand up and take fire, sooner or later. It might as well be now because he's a target. His opposition and, for that matter, his own party won't work with him.

Yeah 1KD, I understand what you're saying and I was expecting more change by now myself. It is getting a bit frustrating. I'm just a little confused about where all the support went after election day. That night it felt as though there was finally enough support from people all over the country to make things better. Where did everyone go? The republiguns come out daily and say that everyone in the country is against what's going on. Personally, from the people I talk to, I don't believe that. But you don't hear any response from anyone. It's one thing to want change and to vote for change, but it's going to take more than that to accomplish changing a system that's grown to what it is today. It's a big mountain to climb.
    I'm not extremely impressed with the bulk of people in office today on either side of the aisle. Too much corruption and complacency. What worries me is the dis-information propaganda machine that everyone seems to believe. Yes, this administration is making mistakes and if the criticism was was geared more towards what actually isn't working in an attempt to make it better, I'd jump on board. The other day when the new unemployment numbers were released, I shot through the cable news channels to get the reactions. Sure enough, on fox, the person that read off the numbers visibly began to smile because it was over 10%. I'm just sick of this crap and for me it outweighs what is or isn't getting done with this administration. I also understand the timeline you're talking about and I agree. I'm giving this situation a little more time though. And if everyone's just going to sit back and wait for change, good luck. Peace.

I hate government by earmarks. The entire stimulous package was one big ear mark. If you want to stimulate the economy, then let everyone keep their money. No taxes for a year! Let people actually decide where the money goes.

Bush Mark hits it right on the head.

Where are those hippies when we need them?

Check these figures out, then send a thank you note to arguably the worst President this country ever elected. [[Hint: he lives in Texas now) He was smart though. He knew the American people might bitch a little, but all in all they were a little too comfortable to get up off their asses and do anything about the rape of the nation that was [[and still is today) taking place in front of their faces.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33110.pdf

We might be able to figure out a way to save a few bucks here......do ya' think?

OG.......you are a patient man, my friend.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; November-10-09 at 02:56 PM.

I don't like taxes either. But if nobody's paying taxes, what's the reality of that. If only there was a model we could look at to better understand the implications of no taxes. Hmmm... hey, I know, how about Detroit. No tax dollars coming in because there's no tax base = no infrastructure. How's that working out? I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the reality of not having to pay taxes and Detroit is just an example of where the infrastructure of the entire country is headed. I'd love to see some extremely intelligent, hard working, honest people steering our tax money towards things that it's really needed for. I detest waste and I'd venture a guess that about half the tax dollars taken in are wasted.

OG... It might be higher than half.

I don't like taxes either. But if nobody's paying taxes, what's the reality of that. If only there was a model we could look at to better understand the implications of no taxes. Hmmm... hey, I know, how about Detroit. No tax dollars coming in because there's no tax base = no infrastructure. How's that working out? I don't mean to be harsh, but that's the reality of not having to pay taxes and Detroit is just an example of where the infrastructure of the entire country is headed. I'd love to see some extremely intelligent, hard working, honest people steering our tax money towards things that it's really needed for. I detest waste and I'd venture a guess that about half the tax dollars taken in are wasted.
    And given away in tax breaks, scams, shelters, no-bid contracts and wars. This old, long storied belief that we can keep cutting taxes and it'll only improve our economy and society has got to go. Us working stiffs on the lower socio-economic end of the scale, keep getting stiffed by highly touted tax cuts that might save us a few bucks. What good does it do for us to save a hundred bucks when the same tax cut is saving the millionaires, that I serve at the country and private clubs, a few hundred thou? They get their money and it doesn't even trickle down. Working stiffs are dealing with cuts in pay, benefits, gratuities as well as cuts in medical coverage and higher premiums. For all of the issues I've had with cops over the years, I've seldom voted against taxes to keep or raise their pay. I wouldn't do most cops jobs for double the pay. Nurses are finally getting somewhat their due in pay. Firefighters - my god, I've lived with a few firefighters. You couldn't pay me enough to do their job. My best friend returned from Vietnam to immediately join the fire department. Poor guy - the quadruple, quintuple, whammy. PTSD, shrapnel and fire and smoke damage. Why shouldn't firefighters make more money? It's all going to the very wealthy. Yes, we're looking at class warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer21 View Post
    OG... It might be higher than half.
    I wouldn't doubt that.