For better or worse, Detroit is a world renown city. The city's history and reputation are what set the Detroit area apart from nearly every other region on the Rust Belt. Yet, I don't get the sense that the regional decision makers realize that they can turn the brand of Detroit into an economic driver.

Pure Michigan is/was a great campaign. But are there any serious plans for a tourism campaign to specifically market the Detroit area? Something more than "let's meet in the D", which came off as being corny IMO. Other cities have already proven that tourism is as good [[or better) a way to fill hotels as business travel [[http://www.nycedc.com/NewsPublicatio...%20tourism.pdf). All Detroit has to do is step up to the plate and effectively use the brand power that it already owns.

I've noticed that Chrysler -- of all entities -- has lately been proactive in embracing brand Detroit. They have a TV spot advertising the Caravan that I've seen running in NYC [[so I assume it's a national ad), that ends something like "it's time to drive Detroit again". Why can't the region likewise use its name for its own gain?

Thoughts?