Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's a shame that the McMansion subdivisions built there give no clue to the past history of that land, they could have named a few streets for Alvan Macauley, Jesse Vincent, James Ward Packard and other Packard notables. Instead, it's like every other new suburban development, the streets are named after the developer's daughters and dogs.

Are there more proving grounds around Detroit, apart from the Ford and GM, which are still in operation.

Ford.
    GM.
    Ford main.
    GM main.

Any former ground out there?

Chrysler Proving grounds is out in Chelsea, on Michigan Ave.

3700 Michigan 52
    Chelsea, MI 48118-9691

Glad to hear from those that attended that they had a good time today. We will do it again in the fall, but without the misty rain.

A number of you posted questions and I will try to answer them here:
    1) Yes, the stone doorway entrance from the PMCC ib on E. Grand Boulevard is now safely tucked away at the PPG. It will be reassembled when we can raise the funds to install it onsite in a new building.

2) Yes, various bits can be adopted for preservation. Please go to our website www.packardmotorfdn.org to learn how to adopt a "bit."

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Just one question, what was with the old Chrysler K car and the old Dodge Mirada parked on the boulevard with the classic cars? Those two are hardly collector cars.
    Ok, the collector cars are allowed to park inside the gates up and down the boulevard and we asked the visitors to park just outside the gates. If a driver says his Mirada, K-car or whatever is a "collector car" then our gate volunteers will not argue with the driver. We are trying to earn the support of the neighbors and local community and that support goes away fast when you confront people about their special car. The band and the volunteers parked behind the repair garage to the north side.

Motor City Packards and the Veteran Motor Car Club of America along with the Foundation are co-sponsoring a car show and swap meet at the PPG on Sunday, June 13. Maybe you can re-visit us then.

Thanks.

From one Packman to another--is the CCCA still hosting the Carnival of Cars at the PPG? or is the event on the 13th with the VMCCA sort of taking the place of that? either way, I'll be there, I'm bringing the Chevy II, the Packard is still under construction.

Default Packard Proving Ground --OPEN HOUSE

Hello 56Packman:

No, the CCCA is no longer sponsoring the Canival of Cars - their last event at the PPG was in June 2008. In early 2009 they let it be known that they would not sponsor the CofC for June 2009. At that time it was too much of a rush to find a sponsor to replace this traditional event.

However, elements from the Detroit region of the VMCCA and Motor City Packards joined forces to co-sponsor a replacement event, which we now call Cars R Stars @ the PPG.

Bring your Chevy II, because I will probably bring my '41 Packard and my '68 AMX. See you there. One Packman to another.

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

Hello LodgeDodger:
    Glad you came out to visit us at the Packard Proving Grounds for the Open House. From the high quality of your photographs it appears you must have had a good time. If you don’t mind, then I would like to assist you with the ID of your photos.

1.1929 Deluxe-8, Sport Phaeton also known as a Dual Cowl Phaeton, model 645
    2.1940 Super-8, Convertible Coupe, model 160 [[160 horse power)
    3.Very rare 1942 Cormorant Hood Ornament [[mascot) also doubled as a radio antenna
    4.1942 Super-8, Convertible Victoria, custom bodied by Darrin, model 180
    5.Adonis mascot [[option) on the 1929 Sport Phaeton – Johnny Trudell orchestra in the background
    6.Cormorant mascot on a 1939 All-Weather Cabriolet, custom bodied by Brunn – 1941 Packard Station Wagon in the background.
    7.Packard family crest badge on the grille of a 1954 Packard Caribbean
    8.1929 chrome wire wheel with the famous Red Hex logo in the center, equivalent to the Ford Blue Oval or the Chrysler pentastar
    9.1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible, right rear quarter
    10.1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible, spare tire mounted on the rear bumper.

Hope this helps! And thanks for coming out.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thank you for the photo ids packman. Before posting, I should have "asked the man who owns one..."

There's a special place in heaven for the folks who keep those beautiful Packards in such wonderful condition.

LDoolan Guest

Great thread and excellent photos!!!!!

Maybe I can make the next show... I assume a Model A Ford would be welcome on the grounds...

LodgeDodger: Thanks for the nice words, but trying to preserve a Packard is nothing compared to the work perserving the Packard Proving Grounds.

L Doolan: Yes, your Model A would be welcome on the grounds. In fact, look at photo #2 above and behind the 1940 Steel/Gray Convertible Coupe is a Model T. It was raining that day and we moved the first cars to show up indoors. We can't always do that.

Our next event is the Car R Stars @ the PPG on Sunday, June 13 - paid admission. Our next free Open House is in the fall on Sunday, October 24.

LodgeDodger Guest

I can understand the work involved on the Packard Proving Grounds. You guys are doing a great job over there. Members of my class and I took a tour. I returned the next week with betterhalf and my sister. They loved it.

The Johnny Trudell Band was one of the best, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2