Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Ms.Gran-ho, whom b/t/w, I am not a supporter of...
    Thanks for clarifying; we couldn't tell by the childish way you wrote her last name.

Bullet Guest

This smoking law is bullshit! I'm 55 years old and have thought about taking up smoking as a past time. Now I can't because whats the point of starting if you can't blow smoke at some one while they eat. I'll start drinking instead. I'm going to get a gun permit too, so when I get drunk I can show off my shooting skills at the saloon.

Will the 4 am boozing be restricted to certain zones/establishments?

I think this is a great idea, BTW.

I myself have drank in certain Bars past 2am. Two of which have since closed.
    The fact that the Bars in Chicago are open till 4am I belive, and that you can legally drink in Windsor at 19 has always gotten the WTF factor going in my mind.
    As for me I will just stay at my basement bar and smoke and drink till 4am if I so please. As much as I love going to the bar I am getting cheap in my older years. Don't like spending 2 bucks for a beer when I can buy a 6 pack for 3 dollars more.

I am a lifetime non-smoker with cancer. My cancer does not appear to have any relation to being around smokers as a child. Also, I have spent a substantial part of my adult life in bars that were of course the domain of smokers. I accpeted that, but now the tide has turned against smokers forever. They must accpt further restrictions as time passes. More businesses and institutions are banning smoking anywhere on their property - patrons who smoke on their property are required to do so in their personal vehicles.

I can vouch - if the new MI smoking ban prevents you or anyone you are close to from getting this horrible disease, consider yourself very fortunate that it was made law.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    I know May 1 is when the smoking ban is supposed to go into effect, and when many bartenders and waitstaff will see their earnings plummet. I visited a bar in Monroe last weekend, which was well ventilated, and all three bartenders as well as 2/3 of the patrons at the bar were smoking. It made me wonder who we were protecting. An exemption should be put in place for family businesses and private clubs, allowing more money to stay in Michigan. I doubt Ms. Gran-ho has ever been to a dive bar in Detroit.
    Somehow, I don't think this will settle it for the pissed-off smokers who keep hollering that the sky is falling, but...:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...o-harsh-impact

Oh, and sorry to contribute to the threadjack. I'm weary of this stupid smoking debate too.

Regarding the 4:00 closing time, I haven't heard anything about that myself. I have only heard that the law banning smoking in bars, workplaces and restaurants takes effect May 1. To my knowledge mandated closing time of bars has not changed.

Personally, I find the argument that the smoking ban is going to hurt the economy as being laughable. Where are smokers going to go? Ontario and Ohio have similar smoking bans. Are they going to take their business to Indiana? Somehow, I don't see too many people from Detroit driving to Fort Wayne just so they can have a beer and a smoke. There will be some wailing, moaning, and gnashing of teeth by upset smokers for a while, but in time, they'll get used to it.

Also, for the person who asked about how bars would handle smokers stepping outside, what I have typically seen in other states is that the club will have a separate exit setup that they have roped off on the outside. Smokers can step out and have a smoke and then go right back into the club without fear of having to pay an additional cover charge. It really isn't that inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    Ok enough shit about smoking... Any definitive evidence on a 4am extension license? Links?[/quotetry http://www.michigan.gov/lcc
    Could you pinpoint where at the above link it says anything at all about a 4 a.m. closing time?

Bullet Guest

Sorry to thread jack, but why do we keep whooping on smokers? I think we should build a monument to them. Think about it: smokers contribute more in [[sin) taxes, especially if they drink too, then the rest of us non-smokers. Studies in Canada have shown they die earlier of diseases that kill quickly [[lung cancer) and thus could save the American citizen loads of cash by not collecting [[much) on Social Security or other retirement benefits, including all that government health care. Smokers should demand their due, and I say they march on Washington in a peaceful manner, and burn it to the ground unless their demands are met: free cigarettes to children!

Ha! Bullet - if they burn DC to the ground, should they inhale?? Wouldn't that be bad for their health?

I get a big laugh out of smokers who get pissy about organic vs. non-organic, genetic modification of foods, pollution, etc. Just sayin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2