Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    STOP!!!

It Kroger not Krogers. Just like it's Ford not Fords, or Meijer not Meijers, or Target not Targets.

Why do Detroiters do this? I haven't heard this in any other part of the country.
    I believe the correct way of making this comment is "It's Kroger not Krogers. You had said "It Kroger". Your delivery is quite not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Kroger [[like any other business) likes money and Detroit doesn't have money. It's nothing personal.
    Detroiters have money. It never stay in Detroit no longer than an half an hour before the green find it's way to the burbs

Hey, let's go Krogering.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Hey, let's go Krogering.
    Or you could go Krugerr[[and)ing like Coleman did.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroiters have money. It never stay in Detroit no longer than an half an hour before the green find it's way to the burbs
    Then why do so many businesses in [[and even immediately surrounding) Detroit have such a high shrinkage rate?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Most people I've met from the coasts call it a "water fountain." Confused the hell out of me at first because all fountains have water in them.
    Oh, I dunno 'bout that.
    This thread has become a sort of fountain, and it ain't water what's coming from it.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Meijers seems to be taking their time over on Woodward north of State Fair They've been shuffling dirt around for a year now.
    Has it only been that long? Seems like someone has been shuffling dirt there for at least 2 years.

Grosse Pointe is very small and has very little land to manage, and most of it has uncomplicated, uncontroversial zoning. Kroger is in the middle of 'downtown' and everyone has known for a long time that the site could be better used and that the store could be better. The City countenanced this development for a long time and it was on a clear fast track.

The same holds for the neighboring side streets in GP where developments with fairly detailed renderings have been proposed; when the developers are ready, the City will respond [[though there might be a little more controversy due to the scale-- all of four stories-- of the St. Claire Ave. development, which is sad).

Well since we're not done threadjacking.... I'll add my "predictable" 2 cents.... and this is not just wrong in Detroit, nor in the USA... but worldwide....

It's not legos.... and it's not legoes.... but it's LEGO!! [[singular and plural)....

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well since we're not done threadjacking.... I'll add my "predictable" 2 cents.... and this is not just wrong in Detroit, nor in the USA... but worldwide....

It's not legos.... and it's not legoes.... but it's LEGO!! [[singular and plural)....

And for my unsolicited 2 cents:

It is not an ATM machine, it is an ATM [[Automated Teller Machine).

Your car does not have a VIN number, it has a VIN [[Vehicle Identification Number).

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    They can put up a Taco Bell in about a week. I've never figured out how they do that. Must be all prefabbed. Them folks got it together.
    Speed comes with experience. It’s very unreasonable to try and compare a corporation that’s building the nth rendition of its store blueprints to a government entity that’s building one unique structure.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    And for my unsolicited 2 cents:

It is not an ATM machine, it is an ATM [[Automated Teller Machine).

Your car does not have a VIN number, it has a VIN [[Vehicle Identification Number).
    And it's not a TGV train they have in France....It's simply a TGV [[ TGV = Train Ã[ Grande Vitesse)

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gregster View Post
    And it's not a TGV train they have in France....It's simply a TGV [[ TGV = Train Ã[ Grande Vitesse)
    "TGV train" is a new one on me. Does anyone actually say that?

While were on the subject, didn't people used to say "Great Scotts" when it was called Great Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Great Scott?
    Oh hell yeah. Great Scott's, that was preferred shopping, for sure. I'll be damned, sure wish someone would construct a Great Scott within one year, on Detroit somewhere's. That would be sweet. Dern, sixty, eighty bucks and you could feed a family of eight for a full week, back in the day, when Great Scott's was only ONE of many competetive grocery stores. Nowadays, walk into a Krogers and it's like a damn thirld world sweatshop! Cashiers bagging? WTF? Unheard of until they broke them cashiers down like second class citizens.

STOP!!!

It Kroger not Krogers. Just like it's Ford not Fords, or Meijer not Meijers, or Target not Targets.

Why do Detroiters do this? I haven't heard this in any other part of the country.
    My Grandma, who lived on St. Marys called it Krogers, ergo we grew up calling it Krogers. It was always a treat to walk over there in the summer.

I heart this thread. I say "Krogers", "Lasher" [[never knew it wasn't pronounced that way until HS), but for some reason, Meijer is just Meijer, and I call it an ATM. But if people don't say "VIN number" most won't know what they're taking about.

And Gistok, I think if we don't call 'em "LEGOs" with the -s, we will confuse all the little kids learning their plurals! *pouring out a tubful of bricks* "Here is your LEGO!"

Funny that I myself whom have lived in this area all my life, Get corrected by two persons who have also spent their lives in this area, on how "I" ad an "s" to everything.
    Getting back to the subject, The way I see things go up overnight. I don't see why It should take longer the a year to build a SuperMarket.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    The Empire State Building took 13 months to build, and I think the Fisher Building was done in 18 months.
    The Empire State Building's building contract wasn't given to Ferguson. The mayor at that time wasn't like Kilpatrick and his family and friends. New York didn't have an incompitent city council, Congresspersons, and Governor

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I heart this thread. I say "Krogers", "Lasher" [[never knew it wasn't pronounced that way until HS), but for some reason, Meijer is just Meijer, and I call it an ATM. But if people don't say "VIN number" most won't know what they're taking about.

And Gistok, I think if we don't call 'em "LEGOs" with the -s, we will confuse all the little kids learning their plurals! *pouring out a tubful of bricks* "Here is your LEGO!"
    Don't you mean you would say, "Here are your LEGO?" Even if you commit the faux pas of saying "Legos" you would still use "are," wouldn't you?

Good to see you putting your English Education degree to good use!

Don't you mean you would say, "Here are your LEGO?" Even if you commit the faux pas of saying "Legos" you would still use "are," wouldn't you?

umm..... both your agreements are correct. I don't get your point.

EastSider, I have to say that your constant attention to the intimate details of my life is a HUGE turn on.

Let's meet at the Krogers this Friday. I will wear nothing but LEGOs.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    EastSider, I have to say that your constant attention to the intimate details of my life is a HUGE turn on.

Let's meet at the Krogers this Friday. I will wear nothing but LEGOs.
    Well if your going to Krogers... don't forget to bring lots of monies....

STOP!!!

It's a midwest thing. Same goes for WI, IL, OH etc. I hear it all the time K-Marts, Walmarts, I've even heard Walmarket. Sheeech

Sorry to get back on thread for a moment... but I just remembered that back in 1919 Orchestra Hall was built in the amazing time of only 4 months!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast