Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OK. Gistok has a message. Thanks again for everyone's help with this. I knew I would find some help here

It looks line an old umbrella stand to me.

It does look like an umbrella stand...but it has that tray on the top. It would make a nice umbrella stand, though.

Retroit Guest

Just curious: how did you rule out the Masonic Temple as a possible source?

Also, if you would be willing to provide more information, it may help:

1. Can you get a picture of, or describe, the inside surface? It may provide a clue as to what the outside looked like [[or should look like).

2. Could you take a picture of, or describe, the "symbols" on each side of the monogram? They don't appear symmetrical. The one on the left looks like grapes-like objects and the one on the right looks like a circle.

3. Could you take a picture of, or a pencil rubbing [[lay down a piece of paper and rub it with a pencil held at a low angle), or describe, any marks found on the bottom of the piece?

The people at the Masonic Temple emailed me to let me know it wasn't from their venue. The images on the side are of a 3 petal flower and the other side is of two leaves. Here are other pics I have. Nothing is written on the bottom [[other than Joe's notes about what he thought it was).

Retroit Guest

Intriguing. I wish someone smarter than me would shed some light on this.

The green color of the inside is the patina from the copper. It got that color from the wet umbrellas. The tray and base appear to be unpolished brass, so maybe I was wrong about brass plating being "cleaned" off the rest of the piece. But I'm puzzled with the solder. I just can't believe the artist would have left it visible [[i.e. unplated).

Hmmmm......

It sure looks like a standing or floor ashtray. If not from the Michigan Theater...I was wondering perhaps from the Madison - didn't that open ten years before the Michigan? Just thinking out loud [[or thinking in type). It is a nice piece. Seems as though it was an "outdoor" ashtray..

I am certain it's not an umbrella stand because of the insert. I am still checking into possible "former owners" of this fine piece...

Hmm....new to this forum but definitely grew up in Detroit I dunno about that being from Michigan theater....I am 41 but I asked my Mom and she says they really did not have much of that kind of thing there.....I suggest you either take it to or send a pic to DuMochelle gallery...not too sure of the spelling....I believe they are on Jefferson across from the Ren Cen.

I don't remember that type of ashstand being in the Michigan in theUDT days and of course by the time Nick George operated the place, all the artwork and furniture and like save for the Horses sculpture and the embracing cupids were sold off. Nice piece, however...if you ebay it, post the listing number.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I am certain it's not an umbrella stand...
    Ah, stupid me! I misread your post saying that an umbrella stand is what you would use it for. Also, after looking at the picture again, it is clear that the patina was polished off of the copper. Otherwise the copper on the upper portion of the inside would be green like the lower portion.

An outdoor ashtray, as suggested by Detroit_uke, seems probable. It would have developed a patina on the outside similar to the inside. A well-meaning person cleaned off this patina [[and possibly the brass plating).

Here's a great website with photos of Majestic 1 and 2, Madison, and Michigan Theaters. I couldn't find the piece in question in any of them. Stylistically, I would guess that the Michigan is the best match.
    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=682&type=5

OK, I finally found the thread [[thanks Detroitteacher for the private email)....

This one is difficult to determine...

It could be from Detroit's Michigan Theatre, but it just doesn't have that French Renaissance or French Classic opulence that one would expect from the Michigan Theatre. Most of their furniture is either 17th or 18th century Baroque or Rococco style, or even the Empire style from the early 19th century.

Attached is an example of the furnishings inside the Michigan Theatre:

The problem with many movie palaces [[but not the Fox or the old Fisher) is that they bought things "off the rack"... namely they purchased furnishings from high end furniture/furnishings catalogs of the early 20th century.

Note: things inside the Fox and Fisher were mostly NOT from a catalog.... they were either custom orders or in the case of the Fox they were sometimes "exotic finds" made by Eva Leo Fox [[owners wife) who searched the world for "objet d'art" worthy of her husbands 5 massive movie palaces.

As someone mentioned, it could be from the Madison Theatre [[1917) or possibly from the Majestic Theatre [[1915). Other possibilities are the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor or Jackson. Or it could be from Detroit's Michigan Theatre.

I'd like to get 56packman's opinion, since he was around when items from many of Detroit's movie palaces were sold off.

Finding the provenance of this item will be difficult to do without a photo of it "in situ" or some sales document or label.
    Last edited by Gistok; April-23-09 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    before you list it, you should contact Gistok...he has a friend who might make you an offer.
    Naw, I doubt that Tony P. would be interested in this... although his son [[proprietor of the Bagley Grille) might...

One last thing.... you might want to send an EMAIL to the Theatre Historical Society in Elmhurst Illinois.

They keep archival information on thousands of theatres around the country, and have lots of photos taken from most of Detroit's theatres.

Perhaps by attaching a few images of the ashtray, they may be of some help.

Their Email address is: thrhistsoc@aol.com

Gistok: Thanks for the info. This is, indeed, turning out to be more of an ordeal than I thought I have scoured the net to see what I could find and I came up with zero. Thanks for everyone's help with this. Keep the suggestions coming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2