Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Need Help Identifying This

Hi everyone! With the amount of resources on this board, I decided to turn here and ask for your help. I need assistance in identifying from where this item comes. It's an ashtray and the logo is MT on the front. It's brass and copper. It isn't from Masonic Temple. I was thinking Majestic Theater. It is OLD. Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    Attachment 728

Attachment 729
    Last edited by Lowell; April-20-09 at 08:19 PM.

Lorax Guest

It looks as though it was from the Michigan Theatre. I vaguely remember the design when antiquing years ago and saw the logo on other ash stands from that theatre. Could be wrong, but it's an educated guess!

Mr. T???

Wherever it came from, it's a nice piece. I like it.

Retroit Guest

Did someone polish the brass off of it?

I really like it, too. Unfortunately, it's going up on Ebay [[I'm listing it for someone). I originally thought it was from the Masonic but was corrected and removed the listing so I could do some more investigative work. Maybe it won't sell and I can keep it The more I think about it, the more it does look like it comes from the Michigan Theater [[by looking at old photos of the Michigan, it seems like it would fit in there).

No, the brass isn't polished off, it just hasn't been cleaned in forever and is mighty dingy.

It sure looks like a standing or floor ashtray. If not from the Michigan Theater...I was wondering perhaps from the Madison - didn't that open ten years before the Michigan? Just thinking out loud [[or thinking in type). It is a nice piece. Seems as though it was an "outdoor" ashtray..

I am certain it's not an umbrella stand because of the insert. I am still checking into possible "former owners" of this fine piece...

Hmm....new to this forum but definitely grew up in Detroit I dunno about that being from Michigan theater....I am 41 but I asked my Mom and she says they really did not have much of that kind of thing there.....I suggest you either take it to or send a pic to DuMochelle gallery...not too sure of the spelling....I believe they are on Jefferson across from the Ren Cen.

I don't remember that type of ashstand being in the Michigan in theUDT days and of course by the time Nick George operated the place, all the artwork and furniture and like save for the Horses sculpture and the embracing cupids were sold off. Nice piece, however...if you ebay it, post the listing number.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I am certain it's not an umbrella stand...
    Ah, stupid me! I misread your post saying that an umbrella stand is what you would use it for. Also, after looking at the picture again, it is clear that the patina was polished off of the copper. Otherwise the copper on the upper portion of the inside would be green like the lower portion.

An outdoor ashtray, as suggested by Detroit_uke, seems probable. It would have developed a patina on the outside similar to the inside. A well-meaning person cleaned off this patina [[and possibly the brass plating).

Here's a great website with photos of Majestic 1 and 2, Madison, and Michigan Theaters. I couldn't find the piece in question in any of them. Stylistically, I would guess that the Michigan is the best match.
    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=682&type=5