Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Here are 2 areas of the former theatre that are hidden in darkness... off limits to visitors.

The Mezzanine Foyer Rotunda is the only surviving part of the Mezzanine Foyer...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/5180593665/

The 2nd Balcony Foyer Rotunda is at the opposite side of the back of the theatre as the Mezzanine Foyer Rotunda...and up on the 4th level. The 2nd and 3rd Balcony Foyers still exist [[complete)...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/5180593861/

Default Requests to Tour Michigan Theater / Garage Overwhelm Staff

Dear all,

I have been requested to ask all to please refrain from making requests to visit the Michigan Theater / Garage by the owner Mr. Anthony Pieroni. Those familiar with him know he has been more than generous in making this marvel available for visitors and I trust all will comply with this reasonable wish.

Interest sparked by the ongoing Michigan Theater thread has resulted in a flood of requests that are impossible to respond to by his staff, let alone make arrangements.
    I have a problem, which is a tribute to the scope of the viewership of Dyes.

Recently on the "Michigan Theater" thread gnome posted a link to an email address set up by one of our tenants [[gnome #27) offering parking privileges to persons attending a sale of some antiques in the building. [Link since removed by DYES admin] We were unaware of the offer and the tenant has been thoroughly chastised.

However, since the link was posted in the thread we have been inundated with requests to take a tour of the garage. 10-15 per day. Several people have come to our office with personal requests.

We just can't handle them as it takes our employees away from their duties. [[Normally, we get requests from architects and foreign visitors to see the garage and we always attempt to let them in if we can.)

Also, Gistok just posted some photos and that generated more calls today.

I thought eventually the call would stop, but they haven't.

Is it possible for you to post something on the thread to the effect that we can't handle the requests and to please refrain from calling.

However, if people want to request a mass tour I'll be glad to handle that; in other words, if a group wants to come on a Saturday, I'll arrange it. They should post their requests so I can get a handle on who's interested and we'll set a time [[like the annual theater tour.)

Thanks in advance for anything you can do. [My Secretary] would really appreciate it, as would I.

Thanks.

So, I guess that means the chance of having it as a venue for a Mixed Martial Arts cage match is pretty slim.

I sent Mr. Pieroni an Email [[and an apology) for sparking so much interest... I also volunteered to do penance... such as touring help if it gets to that...

Now I have to figure out how to get back into the good graces of his secretary of many years...
    Last edited by Gistok; November-17-10 at 01:12 AM.

actually this sounds like a perfect opportunity to find a new revenue stream for the old place. TP should charge $20 a head and make Gistok play tour guide.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Re: Requests to Tour Michigan Theater / Garage Overwhelm Staff

That, and probably your idea to light the grand old window at the corner of Bagley, Cass, and Grand River Avenue.

Of Course, this problem [[opportunity) brings up some interesting questions, like;
    1. How much was he charging for tours?
    2. Why hasn't he raised prices in line with the increased demand for the limitied supply?
    3. Would sale of current tour openings be enough to make the garage/theater venue safer for larger scale public tours?
    4. Why has a auto response on a free e-mail account not yet been established [[five to ten minutes of work on Google Gmail, or Yahoo Mail)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I sent Mr. Pieroni an Email [[and an appology) for sparking so much interest... I also volunteered to do penance... such as touring help if it gets to that...

Now I have to figure out how to get back into the good graces of his secretary of many years...

DetroitDad Guest

The Michigan Theater [[Michigan Parking Garage) tours are already available for $45 through Preservation Wayne's Theater Tour, and must be booked way in advance. Private group tours may be arranged through Inside Detroit, and further information on tours of the Michigan Theater can be inquired about at the Detroit Tourist Welcome Center on Woodward Aveneue, between Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius Park, in Downtown Detroit.

Current tours that include the Michigan Theater already go from $47.00 per person and up. 10-15 inquires a day, along with that five minutes of market research, suggest that a much higher price is possible than either $20 or $47, and may be warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    actually this sounds like a perfect opportunity to find a new revenue stream for the old place. TP should charge $20 a head and make Gistok play tour guide.

OK, I just got an EMAIL reply from the building owner... we're meeting next week. I will likely be involved with any tours.

I wouldn't be worried about the tours costing some outrageous amount... they won't

Also, the scope of the tours has not been determined. I highly doubt any previous public or semi-public tours have viewed very much of the closed off areas of the theatre. There is no electricity in much of those areas, which would make a hard hat [[plus flashlight) a necessity [[a miners hat with light would be ideal). And then there are some debris issues in a few areas that might require some remediation before any kind of tour goes traipsing thru dark areas where stairways have no handrails.

OK, I just got an EMAIL reply from the building owner... we're meeting next week. I will likely be involved with any tours.

I wouldn't be worried about the tours costing some outrageous amount... they won't

Also, the scope of the tours has not been determined. I highly doubt any previous public or semi-public tours have viewed very much of the closed off areas of the theatre. There is no electricity in much of those areas, which would make a hard hat [[plus flashlight) a necessity [[a miners hat with light would be ideal). And then there are some debris issues in a few areas that might require some remediation before any kind of tour goes traipsing thru dark areas where stairways have no handrails.
    I'm not very familiar with these tours, but with this building in particular is there much to tour left?
    How long would one of these tours last?

Answers to DetroitDad's inquiries....

How much was he charging for tours?
    ANSWER: He's never provided formal tours... just a quick look at the main floor former lobby, and the top of the parking deck in the former auditorium.... just an overview. Only Preservation Wayne and Inside Detroit have given lobby/auditorium ONLY tours as part of larger tour packages... with either Preservation Wayne or Inside Detroit guiding the way. And outside of those... most tours just involve the building owner, his son, or possibly his secretary, giving a quick lobby/auditorium overview.

Why hasn't he raised prices in line with the increased demand for the limitied supply?
    ANSWER: Since there haven't been formal tours, there have been no formal pricing... many times he's taken time out of his busy schedule to take out of towners on a quick viewing of the lobby/auditorium.

Would sale of current tour openings be enough to make the garage/theater venue safer for larger scale public tours?
    ANSWER: This spike in tour requests is a recent phenomenom... probably helped out by the surge in movies and TV shows filmed inside.. as well as DYES. Any expansion into the closed off areas would likely require adding electricity to those areas, as well as providing some sort of railings... and that would open up an entire new can-o-worms as far as city permits, etc., are concerned.

Why has a auto response on a free e-mail account not yet been established [[five to ten minutes of work on Google Gmail, or Yahoo Mail)?
    ANSWER: Although they often get phone inquiries of folks wanting to view the lobby and auditorium... it has never gotten out of hand as it has recently. Your suggestion might be taken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared9903 View Post
    I'm not very familiar with these tours, but with this building in particular is there much to tour left?
    How long would one of these tours last?
    Can't say how long a tour would last... depends on what is being viewed... yet to be determined....

As for is there much left to tour... see images in this thread...
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=5046

Can't say how long a tour would last... depends on what is being viewed... yet to be determined....

As for is there much left to tour... see images in this thread...
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=5046
    Oh, I see, thank you for the fast response.
    I've parked in there once, so I have seen the auditorium, but I didnt know anything other than that remained.

DetroitDad Guest

Okay Gistok, the $35 million question; "what is the likelihood or possibility of the Michigan Theater ever being restored and used as a theater instead of a parking garage?"

I'm not Gistok, but I think we all know the answer to that question. 0% - it's too far gone to restore - however, there are many things that can be done with it to use it to in it's present state, or portions of restoration. I don't think anyone ever expects the auditorium or lobby be restored - the Uptown here in Chicago is very well preserved, but even it will take about $80 million to restore. Restoring the Michigan to former glory would never make sense, and would cost hundreds of millions of dollars. This is no United Artists. There's more of that theatre than there is of this....but who knows what this attention could spur. Perhaps there will be an encore for the Michigan in some manner other than parking

The Uptown in Chicago's north end is an enormous theatre, like the Michigan. I hadn't heard about a $80 restoration... but there is a $70 million restoration planned for Loew's Kings Theatre in Brooklyn NY. Barbara Streisand was an usher at Loew's Kings when she was a teenager... Here's a story about that theatre and its' upcoming restoration... including a slide show...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/ny...ings.html?_r=1

The Michigan would be a major undertaking costing over $100 million. They would first have to rebuild the balcony and mezzanine levels, add the grand staircase... and then search the country for other Rapp & Rapp theatres for some of the plaster decorative features that were used at the Michigan [[and reused elsewhere).

The only way it could ever be restored is if the Ford Foundation and Ford Family toghether coughed up the bucks to create "the flagship" of all "Ford Center's for the Performing Arts [[they have them in NYC, Chicago, Toronto and Vancouver). The largest of them is the 3000 seat Chicago Oriental [[Ford Center)... a Detroit Ford Center could seat 4000. But that's just a pipe dream... since there's no current demand for the additional performance space.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Michigan Theater Drive-In

This idea was floated on here awhile ago. My understanding is that it is too expensive to insure, not really big enough, and otherwise not in the right kind of shape needed to use for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I was showing some pictures of the Theater Parking Garage to some friends tonight and noticed the projection booth is still intact.

It got me to thinking...

It would not be difficult to adaptively reuse the garage as an evening drive-in theater. What does DYES think??

Sign me up for a tour if it goes behind the scenes. I have a hardhat and flashlight and money.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    So, I guess that means the chance of having it as a venue for a Mixed Martial Arts cage match is pretty slim.
    Damn it........

Did anyone here interpret my remarks on this topic to be nasty or out of line? Apparently Lowell thought so and deleted them. I may now be persona non grata at DY. I made them all in fun. Hmmmmm...

1KielsonDrive... you can still post... LOL....

...now as penance.... you'll have to show up for the tour[[s).

Per a conversation I've had in the past with Mr. Pieroni... any DetroitYES type tour, would likely result in some contributions for running the DYES forum.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-17-10 at 06:39 PM.

1KielsonDrive... you can still post... LOL....

...now as penance.... you'll have to show up for the tour[[s).

Per a conversation I've had in the past with Mr. Pieroni... any DetroitYES type tour, would likely result in some contributions for running the DYES forum.
    Apparently I'm still in good graces. I'll pass on the tour - I parked, toured and hung out in that theatre/garage for most of 15 years. It's a very interesting ruin, but holds little intrigue for me. BTW, the guy who conducted tours of the theatre/garage from my business during the 80's and 90's, just left my present business about 20 minutes ago.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Apparently I'm still in good graces. I'll pass on the tour - I parked, toured and hung out in that theatre/garage for most of 15 years. It's a very interesting ruin, but holds little intrigue for me. BTW, the guy who conducted tours of the theatre/garage from my business during the 80's and 90's, just left my present business about 20 minutes ago.
    I'd have to pass too. I prefer to remember it as it was. Not the shell it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Did anyone here interpret my remarks on this topic to be nasty or out of line? Apparently Lowell thought so and deleted them. I may now be persona non grata at DY. I made them all in fun. Hmmmmm...
    I think it is because you aren't carrying Faygo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I think it is because you aren't carrying Faygo yet.
    I'd love to have Faygo. Meanwhile, apparently Faygo isn't to impressed with doing business with me. They had many chances to return calls or stop by with price/products lists, and they've yet to respond - almost a year later. I didn't see them at the annual restaurant show this year, so I wasn't able to bring it up again. I did carry their product for while - purchased at Meijer or Kroger. Give me a heads up and I'll do a special request pick-up.

I spoke to the aggrieved party - a long time, dear friend. I was told that what I said was taken as in insult. I apologized, though I stated, as I did here, that my remarks were meant in humour and fun. That was true. Regardless, they were taken wrong. Not the first time I've remarked and got a different reaction than I expected. I can't say something similar won't ever happen again because I truly meant it in all good fun. I'm sorry about this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast