Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No, because in the 1930 Census my grandma, the same family, is Mary Buby not Mary Bube, the right name.
    Oh, yes. Pardon me. That completely disproves my ... hey! Wait a second!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    As far as the perjury, I don't think it has to necessarily be an oath. For example, if you read the 1040 form where you have to sign it, on that form, it is a declaration you make "under penalties of perjury."
    I used to work at the IRS as a Revenue Agent. I know that quote is on the tax forms because if they can take you to court for any kind of tax violation, you will be questioned about your tax return in court on the stand under oath. In that respect, they can nail you for perjury as well as any other tax violations they hit you with.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Actually, if it wasn't for the census, I would never have known that my family originally came from Canada, my great-great-great grandfather was an engineer in a logging camp and his sons were loggers, too, and that my great grandfather was a twin whose brother died when he was 14.
    As I heard on the radio last week regarding the paucity of qustions, "genealogists of the future will weep."

John Smith = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_o5KQkbrI

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, yes. Pardon me. That completely disproves my ... hey! Wait a second!
    I know, I'm writing like I speak. I mean, "no they don't spell names wrong. For example..." not "no, you're wrong." Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Here's the actual phrasing of the 'handicapped' question of 1870:
    Attachment 5582

Rather precise terms that PC has gotten us away from.

These used to be classifications:

Mental deficiency used to be more finely classified using the following technical terms that later began to be abused by the rest of society [[5):

IQ Range Classification 70-80 Borderline deficiency 50-69 Moron 20-49 Imbecile below 20 Idiot

People in hotels/motels long term stay have already been visited - or are being visited. I know because a friend of mine lives in a hotel since his job loss rendered him homeless. He told me yesterday that census workers were at his hotel and he was able to fill out the form with their assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    Wow, that many people were able to answer the very first question on the form, and it's only March 23.

Question #1 from the census:
    "How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?"

I'm part of the 88% in Mich. that have not responded yet because the way it is worded, I cannot truthfully and honestly answer that question until April 2, 2010.

I remember thinking that too when I saw that form, but then I decided I'm confident enough in my longevity that I went ahead and answered it assuming I'll still be alive. [[If I'm not, after all, what are they going to do to me? Haul my corpse to jail?) Besides, less and less of what the government does makes any sense these days anyway, so if there's an error in their logic I don't feel obligated to take it seriously.

Interestingly enough, even though I filled out and sent back the form immediately the day it arrived in my mailbox, just the other day I got a postcard reminding me to be sure to fill it out [[but thanking me and saying I could disregard the notice if I had already filled the form out). So it's pretty reasonable to conclude it's not their intent for us to wait until 4/1.

I filled out my form and dropped it off in the mail yesterday. What I did find interesting is that college students who are away at school are supposed to be counted away from their parents homes.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The federal level does decide how much money they will send you for those purposes based on population count.

The population data are also provided to states, counties, and cities to assist them in allocating resources.
    That is supposed to be true, but isn't, unfortunately. Some federal funds are supposed to be distributed based on population, but as a whole, there is a disparity. A lot has to do with the pull of a state's congressmembers in receiving earmarks for their state.

Michigan, for example is considered a "donor state" because it does not receive federal funds in proportion to its population. [[source: http://crcmich.org/PUBLICAT/2000s/2008/rpt348.pdf)

And if you look at federal funds received in proportion to federal taxes paid [[as opposed to population), Michigan is also a "donor state". [[source: http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/22685.html)

You'd think with Dingel, Conyers, the Levins, etc., this would be just the opposite, but...

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I documented that there are 12 people living in my two bedroom apartment.

Is that illegal??
    We should all do this so we don't lose a congressional seat, heck we might gain one! Of course the stats would then reflect an 80 percent unemployment rate and a per capita income of $2,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    That is supposed to be true, but isn't, unfortunately. Some federal funds are supposed to be distributed based on population, but as a whole, there is a disparity. A lot has to do with the pull of a state's congressmembers in receiving earmarks for their state.

Michigan, for example is considered a "donor state" because it does not receive federal funds in proportion to its population. [[source: http://crcmich.org/PUBLICAT/2000s/2008/rpt348.pdf)

And if you look at federal funds received in proportion to federal taxes paid [[as opposed to population), Michigan is also a "donor state". [[source: http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/22685.html)

You'd think with Dingel, Conyers, the Levins, etc., this would be just the opposite, but...
    To some degree, the "donor state" thing is BS. It counts total federal money going to a state, not just discretionary funds. Florida has a big pot of fed money going there thanks to all of the socail security checks for its aging population. Virgina and Maryland are big reciever states thanks to all of the bedroom communities getting payrolls for all of the Washington DC federal workers. Take that "donor state" with a grain of salt.

You people are crazy to be so paranoid...I have proof:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

I filled mine out when I first got it and will mail it off next week.

As a late Gen X/early Millennial, I was annoyed because they could have used the Internet and saved the postage. Or better yet TEXTED anyone under 35. They could have had the information instantly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2