Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Downriver Pizza

Frank's in Wyandotte - pizza great - but NOTHING beats the gnocchi!

Mancino's in Taylor at Northline and Pardee is a sit down joint that has pizza. I never had their pizza, always get the grinders. Anyone have their pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    Clemente's is very good. They were the first liquor license in Lincoln Park when they were on Fort Park. We stopped in on the wee hours of January 1st and had a riot.
    They had a buffet of food for their customers and had karaoke. Even Paul Clemente was out there singing. And his son who is about 12 years old was terrific at it!!!
    For years, Clemetes's used to sell much better pies from the bar, rather than the restaurant. Not sure when it changed, however I've heard it is different.
    [br]
    When I was young, the BEST was a place in LP named Collorazzi's [[sp?), which was located on the very north end of the LP Plaza and about where the ACO is today.
    [br]
    Mickey's a few blocks away is quite good and they've been in business many years.
    [br]
    Many pie parlors make superb pizza until they start selling franchise's and then the quality diminishes. Two good examples are in Southfield. Buscemi's and Papa Romano's.
    Last edited by wilderness; March-25-10 at 09:24 AM.

Clemente's is fantastic. Great pizza, great people.

Ok, now I'm craving some.

I liked BC's--the pizza had some weight to it and good toppings. Also go for the cheese bread if you're there. Drive thru window is a plus in crappy weather.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    For years, Clemetes's used to sell much better pies from the bar, rather than the restaurant. Not sure when it changed, however I've heard it is different.
    [br]
    When I was young, the BEST was a place in LP named Collorazzi's [[sp?), which was located on the very north end of the LP Plaza and about where the ACO is today.
    [br]
    Mickey's a few blocks away is quite good and they've been in business many years.
    [br]
    Many pie parlors make superb pizza until they start selling franchise's and then the quality diminishes. Two good examples are in Southfield. Buscemi's and Papa Romano's.
    I was young, about 7 or 8, and I remeber Colarassi's, too. The pizza, not the place. I do remember where it was, though. The ACO at that time was a National Super Market. Later it became a Chatham.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I was young, about 7 or 8, and I remeber Colarassi's, too. The pizza, not the place. I do remember where it was, though. The ACO at that time was a National Super Market. Later it became a Chatham.
    Guess I'm telling my age. The "frats" used to go their after the football games. I've never had pizza with that much cheese anywhere, I was in the 7th grade and I guess that would have made it around 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    A memory test. Do you remember what the ACO building was before National's ? Rudy and Ralph Colarossi owned that place. A couple of school buddies used to drive the delivery Jeeps for them. They were the same sliding door models that the post office used to use. A lady and her husband took over the building and used it for a resturant for a while.

Default It's Gone Now....

I know there's been a thread on this already, but I do have to put in my vote for Peppina's in LP. Been gone for many years now. For a current place, I recommend BBoomer's Bar at Roosevelt and Southfield in AP. Been eating that for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    A memory test. Do you remember what the ACO building was before National's ? Rudy and Ralph Colarossi owned that place. A couple of school buddies used to drive the delivery Jeeps for them. They were the same sliding door models that the post office used to use. A lady and her husband took over the building and used it for a resturant for a while.
    Seems to me there was some kind of Oriental Restaurant in there for a while?

Hey Fred, what's happening? Hope all is well with you.

I second Boomers. Say hi to Kenny for me next time you are there. Let me know a good time and I can try to hook up with you for a pie there one day.

Did you read about Hatmaker in yesterday's paper? It was pretty interesting.

I just read on Facebook 'You'll Know your from Lincoln Park if . . .' page that Clemente's is closing in June or July.

I just read on Facebook 'You'll Know your from Lincoln Park if . . .' page that Clemente's is closing in June or July.
    That's too bad, but some of the reviews on Yahoo make it sound like they've been going downhill for a while. Should I check it out before they're gone or just stick with Pia's?

Is Sportsman's in Wyandotte worth the drive? Is it just carryout?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    That's too bad, but some of the reviews on Yahoo make it sound like they've been going downhill for a while. Should I check it out before they're gone or just stick with Pia's?

Is Sportsman's in Wyandotte worth the drive? Is it just carryout?
    I wouldn't say that Clemente's has been going downhill in terms of their food. Sure, the place needs renovations but the food is still very good. We were in there New Year's Eve and the place was packed. Talking to Paul Clemente, then, it appeared that he is just worn out after so many years of running it with his Dad, Joe, and Aunt Rose. And since Chiarelli's Market, around the block from them closed last year, which had been in Lincoln Park since 1925 its been a bit depressing for the Clemente family.

Definitely support Clemente's while they are still here. And pay visits to Pia's and Sportman's. I have only had Sportsman's once but it was very good.

You guys are making me hungry...was there a large Italian immigrant enclave downriver at some point? My mother in law gave me and my wife an uncooked pizza from Italian bakery in Dearborn on Schaefer...we added pepperoni, olives and mushrooms MAN WAS THAT PIZZA DELICIOUS! didnt' take long to cook......

And since Chiarelli's Market, around the block from them closed last year, which had been in Lincoln Park since 1925 its been a bit depressing for the Clemente family.
    There's some very early photo's of Chiarelli's Market on the Lincoln Park Historical website

see photo's #61, 64 and 69 in the sequence

even a shot of Clement's

There's some very early photo's of Chiarelli's Market on the Lincoln Park Historical website

see photo's #61, 64 and 69 in the sequence

even a shot of Clement's
    Thanks. Those photos are ones that we [[Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance) scanned for the Arcadia Publishing Lincoln Park book. Paul Clemente loaned us his family photos and Al Chiarelli loaned us their family photos. Plus, the museum had an old photo or two of Chiarelli's on file. The website was done with a grant from AT&T. Sue Ingesoulian, owner of Chesley's, volunteered her time to do the website and updates it. She has two degrees in IT and teaches IT at various colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    You guys are making me hungry...was there a large Italian immigrant enclave downriver at some point? My mother in law gave me and my wife an uncooked pizza from Italian bakery in Dearborn on Schaefer...we added pepperoni, olives and mushrooms MAN WAS THAT PIZZA DELICIOUS! didnt' take long to cook......
    I have only lived Downriver for nearly 13 years now so I'm not much of an authority on it but I can tell you that Wyandotte had an Italian and a Polish section. And Lincoln Park's Italian's came from Roca Pia, Italy. The Clemente's, Chiarelli's and a few other of the family's came from Roca Pia. The Oakwood section of Detroit, I think, was predominantly Italian.

Thanks. Those photos are ones that we [[Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance) scanned for the Arcadia Publishing Lincoln Park book. Paul Clemente loaned us his family photos and Al Chiarelli loaned us their family photos. Plus, the museum had an old photo or two of Chiarelli's on file. The website was done with a grant from AT&T. Sue Ingesoulian, owner of Chesley's, volunteered her time to do the website and updates it. She has two degrees in IT and teaches IT at various colleges.
    lalynch, Are you Jeff? Regards Don

Thanks laylynch...I think Roman Village is near Oakwood....havent had the pies there but have great entrees..rich tomato sauce..hearty mixed green salads with fresh bread..mmmmm

lalynch, Are you Jeff? Regards Don
    Nope. Jeff is the museum curator. I am the one who got the money for the museum computers, website and internet as well as the one who spearheaded the Arcadia Publishing book. I'm Leslie Lynch-Wilson, Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Thanks laylynch...I think Roman Village is near Oakwood....havent had the pies there but have great entrees..rich tomato sauce..hearty mixed green salads with fresh bread..mmmmm
    Roman Village is near Patton Park. Used to be very nice years ago.

Just heard that Clemente's official closing date is June 15, 2010.

Just heard that Clemente's official closing date is June 15, 2010.
    Thanks. I'll try to get there before the rush.

p.s. They don't serve pizza, but does anyone go to the Village Inn for the walleye?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    Thanks. I'll try to get there before the rush.

p.s. They don't serve pizza, but does anyone go to the Village Inn for the walleye?
    Never been there but I hear that their fish is terrific. Do they serve it every night or just on Friday's?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast