Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg

He is one of Detroit's greatest and yet probably [[sadly) relatively unknown sports icons...Hank Greenberg was an icon for millions back in the '30's. I found this wonderful documentary online and I have watched it three times. Some of the old scenes of Detroit I have never seen before and are just remarkable. Before Jackie Robinson, it was Greenberg that faced the wrath of hatred for an athlete based on his race.

"There are a lot of kids out there. I hope that if I set a good example for them, maybe somehow it will affect their lives." -Hank Greenberg.

Enjoy!

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title...ank_greenberg/

I bought that DVD for my Dad and I, haven't watched the whole thing yet.I enjoyed what I saw.

For the record I apologize if the forum rules prohibit postings of full length videos like this one. If I broke any rules feel free to nuke the thread...

The Tinklers wrote a song called "Hank Greenberg and Jackie Robinson" about the advice and encouragement Hank passed on to Jackie during his ordeal to play major league baseball.

Michigan Guest

"Damn it, I asked for a spy, not the slowest base runner in the American league"

Hank Greenberg fell out of love with the Tigers when they moved him to left field so that Rudy York could play first base. They finally had to give Greenberg a $10,000 bonus to agree to the move. In 1941, Greenberg was the first American League player to be drafted into the army. He came back in 1945 just in time to get the Tigers into the World Series with a few key home runs. The Tigers shipped Rudy York off to the Red Sox for shortstop Eddie Lake so that Greenberg could return to first base. After one year [[1946) the Tigers got tired of Greenberg and his salary and sold him to the Pittsburgh Pirates for $75,000. Greeberg played one year for the Pirates and didn't like having second billing to Ralph Kiner, so he retired after the 1947 season at age 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hank Greenberg fell out of love with the Tigers when they moved him to left field so that Rudy York could play first base. They finally had to give Greenberg a $10,000 bonus to agree to the move. In 1941, Greenberg was the first American League player to be drafted into the army. He came back in 1945 just in time to get the Tigers into the World Series with a few key home runs. The Tigers shipped Rudy York off to the Red Sox for shortstop Eddie Lake so that Greenberg could return to first base. After one year [[1946) the Tigers got tired of Greenberg and his salary and sold him to the Pittsburgh Pirates for $75,000. Greeberg played one year for the Pirates and didn't like having second billing to Ralph Kiner, so he retired after the 1947 season at age 36.

Where did you get your info? I'm curious because I have Greenberg's autobiography [[part of which was written posthumously), along with several other books with biographical info on Greenberg, and while some of the things you say have been documented, others I'm reading here for the first time.

For instance, I never heard the reason he quit Pittsburgh was because he didn't like playing second fiddle to Ralph Kiner. In fact, Kiner credits Hank with being a great mentor to him.

And part of the reason the Tigers traded him, according to Greenberg, was because Walter Briggs got mad after seeing Hank in a Yankee uniform. Salary may also have been part of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I have just never seen some of this stuff anywhere else, and I'm a baseball history nut, especially when it relates to the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    Where did you get your info? I'm curious because I have Greenberg's autobiography [[part of which was written posthumously), along with several other books with biographical info on Greenberg, and while some of the things you say have been documented, others I'm reading here for the first time.

For instance, I never heard the reason he quit Pittsburgh was because he didn't like playing second fiddle to Ralph Kiner. In fact, Kiner credits Hank with being a great mentor to him.

And part of the reason the Tigers traded him, according to Greenberg, was because Walter Briggs got mad after seeing Hank in a Yankee uniform. Salary may also have been part of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I have just never seen some of this stuff anywhere else, and I'm a baseball history nut, especially when it relates to the Tigers.
    Just read his interview in "The Glory Of Their Times." He was just tired of being a player, and wanted to be an executive.

By the way, The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg was directed by Detroit's own Aviva Kempner - a classmate of mine from Cass Tech.

Here's pic of Hank when he first went into the military from some scrapbook pages I have.

Here's another

Here's an interesting article mentioning him refusing a day's deferment

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    By the way, The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg was directed by Detroit's own Aviva Kempner - a classmate of mine from Cass Tech.
    Mine too packman. CT class of '65.

It's hard to believe any of today's players would report early or volunteer for military service.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It's hard to believe any of today's players would report early or volunteer for military service.
    One did, and it got him killed. By his own troops no less!

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    One did, and it got him killed. By his own troops no less!
    Yes, Pat Tillman is an American Hero, he paid the ultimate sacrifice.

It's amazing that a man of his stature in baseball requested that much outfield practice when Rudy York took his place at 1st base. In the American League now days Greenberg would be the DH.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    It's amazing that a man of his stature in baseball requested that much outfield practice when Rudy York took his place at 1st base. In the American League now days Greenberg would be the DH.
    Greenberg asked Barney McCoskey, who was a very good centerifelder to teach him the finer points of playing the outfield. McCoskey worked with Greenberg right through spring training and into the season. Greenberg bought McCoskey a new suit to thank him.

McCoskey was a great fielder in CF and a high average batter with little power. The Tigers traded McCoskey to the Athletics May 18, 1946 even up for 3B George Kell. This was a great trade for the Tigers because 1948 was McCoskey's last good year. The Tigers had an embarrassment of riches in the outfield with Pat Mullin, Dick Wakefield, Hoot Evers, Vic Wertz, Johnny Groth, Roy Cullenbine, Johnny Outlaw, and Doc Cramer all in the system.

1.There is no draft,

2.The desire or NEED to join the military to get a jump start in life is not as prevalent for any professional athlete. WWII was a very different time in our countries history, and professional athletes were not that far removed from the average working stiff. There was an expectation at that time to do whatever possible to support the war effort.

The military is structured totally different in this day and age as well, and we are fighting a two-block war in Iraq and Afghanistan that does not have a vast amount of support from the American public. So service to country is not emphasized anymore or romanticized as it was in previous generations.

I would be suprised if most of the posters in this forum here have or would want their children to serve in the military in this day and age.

I served 20 years in the Marine Corps,

Now back to our discussion of Mr.Greenberg, saw the film when it was released in the theatre in 2000. Great film, but a bit heavy on the anti-semitism aspect like the ESPN Sportscentury Documentary, and not on him being one helluva' baseball player, and one of the top run-producers in MLB history.

Greenberg was asked to move to left because Rudy York was an Iron-Glove wherever they tried him. he came up as a catcher and was tried at 3b and LF to keep his bat in the lineup, 1b turned out to be the only place where York would not be a defensive liability.

Greenberg also needed the protection in the lineup and run-production that York provided. So in the long run, it was the best option for the Tigers since giving York a permanent position his hitting would get on track as well. Greenberg was asked to take a pay cut after an off-year in 1939 but negotiated the $10,000 raise because he was taking all the risks in making a position change to the outfield.

Hank said in his biography he actually enjoyed playing the outfield and considered it less "stressful" by not being involved with every play in the infield and fighting for calls with the umpires. He could just focus on his hitting and produced his highest batting average .340 he led the AL in HR and RBI with 41 and 150. York hit .316 33 HR 134 RBI's.

Hope this info helps a bit.
    Last edited by scribe114; March-28-10 at 04:52 PM.

I was surprised that there was a review of the film in THE WEEK after so many years. Guess it was rereleased.
    As far as being heavy handed, some folks need the point pounded into their thick skulls about what he overcame to be successful.
    In this age of information, there are still holocaust disbelievers. Greenberg was a pioneer much like Jackie Robinson. I'd rather see over emphasis than under playing what he went through.

Can't remember if that's the same one, but I saw one about him on Netflix Instant.

The guy knew how to use the lumber.

That bat looks like a toothpick in Hank's hands. Speaking of toothpicks JFK looks pretty gaunt himself.
    Last edited by zitro; March-23-10 at 12:59 PM.

Ted Williams is on the left. Is the Red Sox player next to him Johnnie Pesky??

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Ted Williams is on the left. Is the Red Sox player next to him Johnnie Pesky??
    Not sure who that is but it isn't Pesky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast