Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Boy... talk about a heaping helping of nothing. You might have chosen to speak English. [[Ironic, I know!) And also, please take your own advice. If you have a hard time figuring out where I am coming from, perhaps you should re-read some of your condescending phrasing in your postings.
    And for your information, I did not use the smiley. I used this: , which also accurately describes my reaction to the jargon riddled, obscurely referenced diatribe you've decided to post.
    Aw common Stosh, don't take it so personally.... I appologize when I make a gaffe, but you seem to do it with impunity... such as these 2 comments to English [[one has the smiley I war referring to, not your later comment)....

--------
    "I think you should listen to your friends. They seem to have a bit of common sense."

"Hard to figure out your intent on this statement. Must be that attitude thing...."
    --------

Those have Marie Barone written all over them....

And you wondered why English got hostile towards you??? But you don't see it I guess...

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Aw common Stosh, don't take it so personally.... I appologize when I make a gaffe, but you seem to do it with impunity... such as these 2 comments to English [[one has the smiley I war referring to, not your later comment)....

--------
    "I think you should listen to your friends. They seem to have a bit of common sense."

"Hard to figure out your intent on this statement. Must be that attitude thing...."

Those have Marie Barone written all over them....

And you wondered why English got hostile towards you??? But you don't see it I guess...
    That smile was a poke at this statement.:
    I want to continue to live life with rose-colored glasses, actually. Why is it that black women from Detroit can't be positive and optimistic? Do we all have to walk around with bad attitudes, "keepin' it real"? Seriously?
    The smiley was a misguided attempt to avert the usual attack reply. Don't worry, I wont try that again, or even bother with replying to anything she posts. It's not worth getting beat up over, by her, or you.

And actually, instead of "keepin it real" how bout a bit of "maintaining thy authenticity"? Sounds a bit more cultured....

While I have you here, Gistok, maybe you can tell us all about how your name is in a bigger font than anyone elses here? How much did you have to pay for that little attention getter?
    --------
    Last edited by Stosh; March-22-10 at 05:01 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    ...although I once heard a female co-worker announce that if she felt like going to the party store on the corner at 11:30 on a Friday night, well, she was just gonna do it, and she wasn't about to let fear dictate her movements. That last part is good, as a concept, but at the same time, I thought, Geez, it ain't about proving something, it's about keeping risk at a minimum. Like with gas stations: even if you're a super-macho tough guy, why allow yourself to end up in a spot where you have to buy gas at 3:30 in the morning?...
    Well, wasn't that the rally cry after the 9/11 terrorist attacks? The idea of the war on terror [[fear) was that we weren't going to let ourselves become hostages to fear, and those who were using fear as a weapon. This is a touchy subject to me, because I, not unlike English, have been ridiculed or questioned as just trying to prove something by living and eventually starting a family here. The thing is, for me it is at least partially about proving something, not to other people, but to my self.

When the Hell did that happen; morals and doing the right thing taking a back seat to fear; dishonor now put before not just death, but now life?

Maybe the beliefs I'm carrying around are just from another time?

Ravine Guest

Making prudent, sensible decisions that minimize risk has absolutely nothing to do with being a "hostage to fear," and having something to prove-- to someone else, or to yourself-- provides fertile ground in which to grow multiple bad decisions.

Michigan Guest

Holy smokes! All this hand-wringing over something that didn't happen? Really?

Either English is a first class drama queen or this forum has become populated by nincompoops- or both! Let me reiterate this- NOTHING HAPPENED!! A MAN GOT OFF THE PEOPLE MOVER AND A GROUP OF WOMEN DECIDED TO ACCUSE HIM OF ATTACKING THEM.

NOTHING HAPPENED- apparently I can not say this clearly or often enough. Grow up people.

Retroit Guest

That's a good point, Michigan. Could it be that English was pre-judging a person by how he looked? Racial profiling, perhaps? Hmmm.... What would we think if a white woman made the same assessment of a black man?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ... and I almost had my bag snatched for the first time in my life. My friend from South Side Chicago quickly moved between me and the young dude who was just about to go for it. There were other people in the car, but he seemed absolutely determined, like he had nothing to lose.
    English, you have some explaining to do.

Michigan, take your meds.

Retroit - didn't you post upthread?

BTW, what I came back here to post is that I was in the city all day today, from morning until just now. Drove my octogenarian grandmother around on a number of errands in neighborhoods most of the forum doesn't go to, but that I know like the back of my hand. Sad to see so much shuttered and run down that was vibrant 10 years ago.

Tonight I had dinner at my sister's. Turns out that my brother-in-law is sick of commuting from the NW suburbs to work in downtown Detroit, and is moving their family downtown in May. He read this thread, and then got to the end. He asked me about the demographics of DYes. I told him. Then he asked why I post here. [[Was going to post, but I told him not to do so -- it's just not that crucial to me what people say about me on the Internet.)

I post here and shared this story [[the first time I've ever shared something so personal) because I wanted to glean some information about how the day-to-day situation in the city may have changed since 2005, and to find out why I was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong stuff. In a postmodern, postindustrial information age, you have to sift through the bs to get the gold in any medium. DYes is no different.

What I think I'll tell him is that if I stop posting, there will be one less woman, one less black person, one less person born and raised in post-1967 Detroit, and one less person under 35 on these forums [[fora). I enjoy learning from Ray1936's stories. I enjoy viewing Lowell's photographs. I enjoy reading the insights from the preservation community. And I am glad that you all were here to hear my story, and to help me sort through things that first night.

Thanks to those who gave their opinions, especially those who messaged me off thread. I'm still ambivalent about what I'll do about my move, but I've got at least 6 months before I have to decide. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Michigan Guest

BTW, what I came back here to post is that I was in the city all day today, from morning until just now. Drove my octogenarian grandmother around on a number of errands in neighborhoods most of the forum doesn't go to, but that I know like the back of my hand. Sad to see so much shuttered and run down that was vibrant 10 years ago.

Tonight I had dinner at my sister's. Turns out that my brother-in-law is sick of commuting from the NW suburbs to work in downtown Detroit, and is moving their family downtown in May. He read this thread, and then got to the end. He asked me about the demographics of DYes. I told him. Then he asked why I post here. [[Was going to post, but I told him not to do so -- it's just not that crucial to me what people say about me on the Internet.)

I post here and shared this story [[the first time I've ever shared something so personal) because I wanted to glean some information about how the day-to-day situation in the city may have changed since 2005, and to find out why I was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong stuff. In a postmodern, postindustrial information age, you have to sift through the bs to get the gold in any medium. DYes is no different.

What I think I'll tell him is that if I stop posting, there will be one less woman, one less black person, one less person born and raised in post-1967 Detroit, and one less person under 35 on these forums [[fora). I enjoy learning from Ray1936's stories. I enjoy viewing Lowell's photographs. I enjoy reading the insights from the preservation community. And I am glad that you all were here to hear my story, and to help me sort through things that first night.

Thanks to those who gave their opinions, especially those who messaged me off thread. I'm still ambivalent about what I'll do about my move, but I've got at least 6 months before I have to decide. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Wow, just wow. I feel like I just sat through a discussion with Monica Conyers. Someone discounts your story, someone points out the obvious facts, not assumptions or opinions or expectations but facts, and you start to yell "Racist!" at the entire forum. Maybe, just maybe, your "sifting" screen is the wrong gauge. If you think that you will find any large nuggets on an internet forum then you have a lot to learn about life. Well, there I go stating the obvious again.

It seems to me that you can not stand to be challenged in any way. That is odd for someone who claims to have an advanced degree and who wants to help Detroit students to be all that they can be. Shouldn't students challenge their teachers intellectually? Weren't you challenged by your professors?

English

Michigan, take your meds.
    In closing- nice stereotypical jab at folks who need medication to maintain their psychological balance. You are just so sensitive and caring about every one and it shows when you post something like that on a public forum. For a person who claims to be super sensitized because of their race and sex, you certainly do not display much tact or decorum. Come to think of it, you will fit in at DPS!
    Last edited by Michigan; March-23-10 at 10:45 PM.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Wow, just wow. I feel like I just sat through a discussion with Monica Conyers. Someone discounts your story, someone points out the obvious facts, not assumptions or opinions or expectations but facts, and you start to yell "Racist!" at the entire forum. Maybe, just maybe, your "sifting" screen is the wrong gauge. If you think that you will find any large nuggets on an internet forum then you have a lot to learn about life. Well, there I go stating the obvious again.

It seems to me that you can not stand to be challenged in any way. That is odd for someone who claims to have an advanced degree and who wants to help Detroit students to be all that they can be. Shouldn't students challenge their teachers intellectually? Weren't you challenged by your professors?

In closing- nice stereotypical jab at folks who need medication to maintain their psychological balance. You are just so sensitive and caring about every one and it shows when you post something like that on a public forum. For a person who claims to be super sensitized because of their race and sex, you certainly do not display much tact or decorum. Come to think of it, you will fit in at DPS!
    It's Wayne State, but otherwise, spot on.

Michigan and Stosh, I've revealed some personal information about myself on this forum over the years. So yes, everyone here knows that I taught in Detroit schools, have finished my Ph.D, and will be at Wayne State. You're spot on. Since I don't know anything about you, I can't throw the facts of your lives into your face.

Hey, if you feel that I'm paying the race card, then so be it. If you feel as if I'm an idiot who hates white people, men, and those with mental health challenges, and continually rant about the same on these forums, then so be it. If you feel that my postings on an Internet forum are reflective of Monica Conyers, then so be it. If you feel that I don't want to be challenged in any way, then so be it. You've called me out. After these pixels, you've summed up my character -- just another drama queen! Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back.

I'm not sure what response you're looking for that would be satisfactory. Since you've sized me up so well, haven't we come to an impasse? Now that I've been put into my place and shamed into silence, isn't the conversation over?

What ultimate result are you looking for here? Your tone implies that I'm a lost cause. Since, as Michigan put it, "If you think that you will find any large nuggets on an internet forum then you have a lot to learn about life", then what does this do other than make you feel wise and important? Seems a little hypocritical.
    Last edited by English; March-23-10 at 11:31 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Michigan and Stosh, I've revealed some personal information about myself on this forum over the years. So yes, everyone here knows that I taught in Detroit schools, have finished my Ph.D, and will be at Wayne State. You're spot on. Since I don't know anything about you, I can't throw the facts of your lives into your face.

Hey, if you feel that I'm paying the race card, then so be it. If you feel as if I'm an idiot who hates white people, men, and those with mental health challenges, and continually rant about the same on these forums, then so be it. If you feel that my postings on an Internet forum are reflective of Monica Conyers, then so be it. If you feel that I don't want to be challenged in any way, then so be it. You've called me out. After these pixels, you've summed up my character -- just another drama queen! Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back.

I'm not sure what response you're looking for that would be satisfactory. Since you've sized me up so well, haven't we come to an impasse? Now that I've been put into my place and shamed into silence, isn't the conversation over?

What result are you looking for here? Since, as Michigan put it, "If you think that you will find any large nuggets on an internet forum then you have a lot to learn about life", then what does this do other than make you feel wise and important? Seems a little hypocritical.
    Actually, Michigan and Stosh are spot-on. This thread, two pages of an almost-mugging, has reinforced many of my opinions of your inflated sense of self-worth. At first, I felt a little sorry that you were frightened by a mugger, but get over it! Be tough, learn how not to be the victim, take charge! Don't turn this into some public introspection on your future in the city. If you don't move to Detroit because of one incident, perhaps you aren't ready to return.

Stosh Guest

Actually, English, I wasn't talking to you.

I love that your brother asked about the demographics of the board. And questioned why you post there. That gives me just a little bit of insight as to your mindset, in not so many words. Sorry to hear that. Honestly, I have never, ever had a rational discourse with you, and never probably will, due to some obviously preconcieved notions about me and my viewpoints. So be it, as you say.

Actually, I think that you are a smart woman that has worked hard to get what she has in life. Try and not let things get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Actually, Michigan and Stosh are spot-on.
    Great. Nice to know where you stand.

Honestly, I think that the appropriate response to me if I'm this awful, attention-seeking person would have been to just ignore the thread entirely.

Well, I shall lead by example. Good luck, and see folks on the other threads.
    Last edited by English; March-24-10 at 12:09 AM.

Michigan Guest

Great. Nice to know where you stand.

Honestly, I think that the appropriate response to me if I'm this awful, attention-seeking person would have been to just ignore the thread entirely.

Well, I shall lead by example. Good luck, and see folks on the other threads.
    Isn't that exactly what the poor young man on the PM did? He just got off and left, correct? The result for him was a thread on DY about how you could tell he was about to steal your purse and you could tell he was desperate and you could tell that he had nothing to lose. Well, at least I'm sure that you and your girlfriends had quite a story to tell the rest of the evening.

If i had a nickel for every time English reminded us that she has a PhD....

Well, I definitely regret starting this thread, and have issued an apology for doing so on Detroit Connections:
    http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?p=132147 -- which is definitely my last word on this matter.

Retroit Guest

Darn, English, I hope my comments didn't contribute to your displeasure. I kind of like you. We've had disagreements in the past, but I find you to be a very intelligent and honest person, and I respect and appreciate that.

I thought Michigan brought up a good point. How did you know that this person was about to commit a crime? Has your time among a different culture of people changed the way you perceive people of your hometown culture?

The reason we come to this forum is to question others and to be questioned. If accusations made to you do not apply, please feel free to express why.

To address the main point of this thread, though, if this "imagined" attempted purse-snatching has caused you this much anxiety, then I wonder what traumatizing effect an actual crime would have on you?
    Last edited by Retroit; March-24-10 at 12:31 PM.

In my experience, I feel like the preception of crime [[not actual, or even realized) escalated when the DPM route was changed from counter-clockwise, to clockwise. It really changed the overall feel of the DPM, possibly changing peoples perceptions, or at least their expectations.

Getting caught in the middle of a crime [[or falling victim) is more of a wrong place, wrong time, at least, from my past experiences. For example, say, I could be at a bad neighborhood in NW Detroit, and I would be fine, but go downtown for a drink or something like that and get mugged.
    I'm sorry that this happened, but this has NOTHING to do with CBD or Detroit as a whole being bad, so don't find yourself scared coming back on the People Mover. Remember that these are tough times and people will do ANYTHING for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Madman View Post
    Getting caught in the middle of a crime [[or falling victim) is more of a wrong place, wrong time, at least, from my past experiences. For example, say, I could be at a bad neighborhood in NW Detroit, and I would be fine, but go downtown for a drink or something like that and get mugged.
    I'm sorry that this happened, but this has NOTHING to do with CBD or Detroit as a whole being bad, so don't find yourself scared coming back on the People Mover. Remember that these are tough times and people will do ANYTHING for money.
    Exactly. I am sorry you were frightened by an almost-mugging- the first time you have you eyes opened to your own vulnerabilities is a tough one. But really, just consider yourself lucky it has not happened before and learn to be more vigilant and you will learn to calm your fears.
    I have worked down here for the past ten years and walked all over the place- through all different neighborhoods and seen all sorts of things, but I have never had anyone harm me. I have been called some pretty awful names because of my appearance, but nothing more. The only times I have ever had problems with random acts of violence was when I lived in the west side of the state where things are supposed to be so very provincial. I was mugged on the street, punched by a teenage thug, had my car broken into on several occasions, had my house broken into- both times while I was home. The potential for violence is everywhere, not just places with the reputation for it. Learn to protect yourself and live where you want to live.

DetroitDad Guest

Anyway...

English, if you have a few minutes, please attempt to give the police a heads up.

Crime Stoppers;

Phone; 1-800-SPEAK UP

Online form; http://www.1800speakup.org/

Text; 411

DetroitDad Guest

Hey, what stations did he get on and off at?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4