Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    An article today mentioned the designation of the DMC campus and immediate surrounding area to be designated a Renaissance Zone, meaning it tax exempt for business and residents.

What I'm interested in is if that means that residents of a Renaissance Zone are city income tax exempt, or just state income tax exempt?
    Tax issue is interesting; City Council has to approve, and part of the reason for this happening now is to make sure it clears with a "Granholm friendly" AG [[who knows what will happen with AG this years' election). So the Zone clearly must have state and city tax ramifications to go with the federal in some way.

Duggan is part of the McNamara "family" tree...cynical part of me thinks that this is somewhat being pushed by that "family" as an "achievement" for Granholm, and obviously for Duggan. Additional cynicism is that this is a hedge on the bet that Cox ends up leading next.

RickBeal - Vanguard announced getting bank approval for funds to go towards the purchase a "major health system" last summer. DMC is much bigger than anything else they own. Detroit basically has three players for 800K people, and St. John [[the "closed" Riverview has been mentioned, though it still houses a clinic and medical offices) has certainly fringed their Detroit presence [["Grosse Pointe" on the Moross campus with the expansion that opened last year). This appears to have been ripe for the taking, and I don't think that the timing is any mistake.

Seems that some wheels have been turning since Bing took over...just saying.

Bartock... the part of Detroit east of Canyon St. [[road east of Balduck Park) is in the 48236 Grosse Pointes zip code. So all mail going to that eastern tip of Detroit, homes as well as St. John Campus, has always had "Grosse Pointe" as their mailing address [[at least as long as Zip Codes have been around).

St. Johns' new 7 story Van Elslander Pavilion [[on the inside... WOW!!) is about 80% in Detroit with only the overhang over the Valet Parking being in Grosse Pointe Woods.

But I digress....
    Last edited by Gistok; March-20-10 at 11:04 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Despite all the positive things our Midtown/New Center colleges and hospitals do in the area, I wish they did not require so much parking, and I wish that the acquisition and creation of surface parking wasn't included as an "investment" in Detroit.

Just a random thought by someone who has regularly walked around the area, and watched local hospitals acquire, privatize, and build several surface parking lots in the past few months.

Parking is always in short supply on the medical campus. Too bad the salt mines are not under that part of Detroit so they could be turned into underground parking.

... imagine making a wrong turn, getting lost underground and getting mugged by morlocks.
    Last edited by RickBeall; March-21-10 at 12:13 AM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Bartock... the part of Detroit east of Canyon St. [[road east of Balduck Park) is in the 48236 Grosse Pointes zip code. So all mail going to that eastern tip of Detroit, homes as well as St. John Campus, has always had "Grosse Pointe" as their mailing address [[at least as long as Zip Codes have been around).

St. Johns' new 7 story Van Elslander Pavilion [[on the inside... WOW!!) is about 80% in Detroit with only the overhang over the Valet Parking being in Grosse Pointe Woods.

But I digress....
    That's interesting. I thought one of the reasons for making the Van Elslander Pavilion the Hospital's new "Main Entrance" was because it was physically in the City of Grosse Pointe Woods.

if/when health care reform bills pass, it will be interesting to see how this affects the for-profit hospital industry [[if at all)...

The thing about hospitals building new towers and new hospitals is that they think that the people with insurance that have a choice will show up to get a major surgery done in one of their gold plated OR's and get their feet rubbed while in recovery. I don't agree with it. Truth be told these hospitals are scratching for business so much it is pathetic and may be the death of some. St. John Providence built their mecca and all it did was split the patient's between the two hospitals, supposedly.

With this DMC move that's all it is too. "Yeah, yeah we will take care of the poor people," but all these new glass towers are are ways to draw in people with insurance to hopefully offset the charity work that the DMC usually takes care of.

Furthermore as I transition from my previous career into a career of nursing [[one more month left of school!!) personally I think resources could be spent better elsewhere with both the government's "plans" and with the way some of these hospitals have built up.

Also with the parking comment I haven't come across a surface lot for the DMC except for the Bethel Church lot they borrow. Otherwise it's $2.50 a car for their garages.

are there large tracts of semi-abandoned land near the DMC campus that can be used for redevelopment?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    are there large tracts of semi-abandoned land near the DMC campus that can be used for redevelopment?
    Actually no. Unless you use brush park.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Actually no. Unless you use brush park.
    I'm not so sure about that. A portion of Tolan Park has been identified as a development area for Chilldren's Hosp. There are underutilized lots along John R near the Medical Center and plenty of WSU and DMC owned surface parking lots along Canfield and Brush near old Hutzel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2