Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ...all across the Capitol grounds bean farmers set up their tables and featured their wares: bean pie, bean souffle, bean cassarole, bean salad, beans in a blanket, bean fritters ....

It raised a stink.
    *Southern drawl* That's just wronnnnng.

I read the resolution. I do think that part of it does vilify meat, but if you look at the way most of our meat is raised [[corn-fed, antibiotics, hormones, stressful conditions, being fed waste parts of other cows, etc), maybe it should be vilified. But from a political standpoint, it should have been worded differently [[encouraging people to "explore" a meatless diet for a day or a week). Whoever wrote that on behalf of the governor should have excersized more political caution.

For the record, I am a carnivore. I like meat. Grew up eating it, will always eat it. However, after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I have dramatically reduced the amount of meat that I consume, particularly 'industrialized' meat [[I have now started buying more at Eastern Market straight from the source, even though it's much more expensive. I end up buying & eating less meat, which washes out in the end from a budget standpoint, and is healthier). And regarding e-coli, you will understand why e-coli didn't even exist before we started feeding cows corn instead of having them graze naturally.

And I should clarify: I think meat can be part of a healthy diet. Just not the stuff that's available to most folks. And that needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    *Southern drawl* That's just wronnnnng.

I read the resolution. I do think that part of it does vilify meat, but if you look at the way most of our meat is raised [[corn-fed, antibiotics, hormones, stressful conditions, being fed waste parts of other cows, etc), maybe it should be vilified. But from a political standpoint, it should have been worded differently [[encouraging people to "explore" a meatless diet for a day or a week). Whoever wrote that on behalf of the governor should have excersized more political caution.

For the record, I am a carnivore. I like meat. Grew up eating it, will always eat it. However, after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I have dramatically reduced the amount of meat that I consume, particularly 'industrialized' meat [[I have now started buying more at Eastern Market straight from the source, even though it's much more expensive. I end up buying & eating less meat, which washes out in the end from a budget standpoint, and is healthier). And regarding e-coli, you will understand why e-coli didn't even exist before we started feeding cows corn instead of having them graze naturally.
    Great post. I've gone almost completely to organic or naturally-raised beef, or to bison/buffalo meat [[bison is always raised naturally) for those reasons.

Of course, I cave in to the occasional White Castle crave.

I was talking to folks at Kim's Produce on Woodward about all-natural meat. They may start carrying it, from a farm near Whitmore Lake [[?). If they would carry it, I would buy it.

DC48080 Guest

Why doesn't Jenny on the block Granholm declare a "No stupid meaningless liberal symbolism" day?

Possibly a "no-corrupt-politician" day? Oh wait, we're not miracle workers.

I just came across a new term that tickles me: 'food elitists'.. heh.. heh-heh..

Haha look at you all getting so outraged by this. It's cute that you think Granholm had much to do with this at all. She receives requests from interest groups to declare certain days "special" every single day of the week and most of them you never even hear about. As long as the topic isn't something offensive, her staff issues the declaration and the interest group is happy and the governor's time isn't wasted. Every single governor does it. It's just that defensive meat-eaters happened to pounce on this one. Eat meat or don't, but don't pretend like this is an important news story.

Retroit Guest

How about a Governmentout Day?

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    Haha look at you all getting so outraged by this.
    Haha look at you responding to us getting outraged by this.

There is more to this than meets the eye. Leadership within mainstream agriculture in Michigan is now quite conservative on the whole; they and the Granholm adminstration are waging political warfare on one another. Granholm had been doing it more behind the scenes through the levers of governent. This was clearly not a smart move by the Governor, akin to hitting an angry hornet's nest with a stick.
    Last edited by schulzte; March-17-10 at 03:40 PM.

Food Elitist: someone who doesn't want to consume garbage. I'll take that label.

I can't help but feel that we have more pressing matters for our elected officials to attend to.
    BUT they are pandering to the "whos getting kicked off survivor tonight, whos colin going to rip into tonight and i hope my teams make the final bracket" crowd...

a LOT of those people are completely lost when it comes to the real issues. like the slogan goes, "if youre not pissed off, youre not paying attention"

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Is she Catholic? That's extremely unusual for a Swede.
    She thinks she is - but she certainly doesn't act like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Great post. I've gone almost completely to organic or naturally-raised beef, or to bison/buffalo meat [[bison is always raised naturally) for those reasons.

Of course, I cave in to the occasional White Castle crave.
    I had a White Castle once and I have to ask, what's the attraction? It tasted like some sort of mystery meat stuck together with beef flavored gum.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    She thinks she is - but she certainly doesn't act like one.

Oh,I don't know. She seems to act like most Catholics I know.

I participated in Michigan Meat-Out day last year and got arrested for indecent exposure!

This is bad for the economy. And what will the hookers do on Saturday night?

DAMNIT... I gotta get new glasses. I only opened this thread as i read it as "MICHIGAN MAKEOUT DAY" ....nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I'm a vegetarian, so while I don't have a problem with the idea of this whole ado, I can't help but feel that we have more pressing matters for our elected officials to attend to.
    which reminds me of 'Obama' devoting much of his time to 'march madness' and the keen media coverage of his 'picks'. if that's what he likes, fine, but he should keep it under wraps. i'd like to think he, also, has more pressing matters.....

Quote Originally Posted by bee@dee View Post
    which reminds me of 'Obama' devoting much of his time to 'march madness' and the keen media coverage of his 'picks'. if that's what he likes, fine, but he should keep it under wraps. i'd like to think he, also, has more pressing matters.....
    A bracket takes, what, 3 minutes to fill out?
    Is the guy not supposed to have any kind of down time? Is he allowed to eat and sleep or does he need to forgo that until he's out of office, too?

Laughing my way through some of these responses... you guys are hilarious! This made CNN News [[which I've been following all day as they cover health care).

The second I heard about it, I thought someone here in Ann Arbor HAD to be behind this initiative. I never thought twice about eating meat until I moved up here and folks tried to guilt me out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I think a "No-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup" Day would make us much healthier.
    That should be everyday, and the law too.

I'm not giving my ribs up at anybodies request. To me that's part of the basic food group.
    PETA People Eating Tasty Animals. With my cholesterol being 102-120 depending on the test my arteries are in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I participated in Michigan Meat-Out day last year and got arrested for indecent exposure!

LOL. Now that's a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2