Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I've got over 100 photos, but I'm not sure how to post...

LDoolan Guest

First of all thank you to everyone who's posted on this thread and to Lowell for posting pictures.
    I'm a 'serious amateur' Ford historian and the Dahlinger estate has been a subject of mystery to me for a few years.

I'd be interested in seeing what everyone else has about the other properties, the horse farm in Romeo, etc..

Hopefully I can add some info to this thread.

LDoolan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    I'd use a photo hosting site like Photobucket, it's easy to use and free!

I'm interested in seeing the photos.

If they are already online in a photo account etc read this.
    Copy & Paste Images directly from the web

If you wish to upload them into this site you need to 'attach and insert' read this.
    How to attach and then insert an image into a post

LDoolan Guest

Here's a couple of photos....
    The book which I highly recommend. It's out of print but you can find a copy every so often on Ebay.

The first house on the Ford Road property before the 'big house' was built.

Here's a shot of the race track with the stable in the background.

This is why I joined these forums.I will now have to scour the internet for more information.This mansion is historic,I hope it survives.
    Here's a snipet I found from this web site: http://www.amazon.com/secret-life-He.../dp/0672523779

I found this book very intriguing and believable. I'm sure the Ford family tried to suppress this information, so as not to tarnish the image of Henry Ford. I wondered what happened to John Cote Dahlinger? I did some research and with the help of Alice Pepper, Detroit Free Press, was able to obtain this information on 10/15/2007.

Headline: MAN WHO SAID HE WAS SON OF HENRY FORD I DIES OF CANCER
    Byline: PATRICIA MONTEMURRI, DETROIT FREE PRESS, 11/22/1984

John Cote Dahlinger, who six years ago co-authored a book in which he claimed to be the illegitimate son of Ford Motor Co. founder Henry Ford I, has died in a Saginaw hospital of cancer at age 61. Mr. Dahlinger, who lived in Lexington on Lake Huron, died Friday at St. Mary's hospital.

In "The Secret Life of Henry Ford," Mr. Dahlinger wrote that his mother, the late Evangeline Cote Dahlinger, Henry Ford's personal secretary, was also the auto pioneer's mistress.

MR. Dahlinger had operated nightclubs in the Detroit area for many years. His family's former estate is a mile upstream from Henry Ford's Fair Lane mansion, now located on the University of Michigan's Dearborn campus.

Ford, Mr. Dahlinger had said, built the mansion, which was occupied by Evangeline Dahlinger and her husband, Raymond. Ford had showered him and his parents with expensive gifts, Mr. Dahlinger wrote.

Both Raymond and Evangeline Dahlinger had worked for Ford in the early days of the Ford Motor Co. Evangeline began work as a secretary for one of Ford's design consultants for the Model T, and later was Ford's personal secretary, handling correspondence for Ford's wife, Clara, and overseeing the development of Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum. Her husband, who died in 1969, worked as a bodyguard for Ford and later managed the Ford Farms in Dearborn.

MR. Dahlinger had said in his book, co-authored by celebrity biographer Frances Spatz Leighton, that as a boy he had played with Henry Ford's four grandchildren. In his book, Mr. Dahlinger said his mother would never discuss his parentage, but he said her diaries and her close relationship with Ford convinced him that Ford was his father.

His mother seemed obsessed with Ford, despite their 30-year age difference, wrote Mr.Dahlinger. "She kept track of everything he was doing day by day in her diaries. She seems to have destroyed some of her diaries as she grew older and more discreet," he wrote. "Even so, I found enough of the little books secreted around the house, painstakingly written by hand [[partly in French) to get a good picture of their relationship."

After the death of his mother in 1979, Mr. Dahlinger sold the Dahlinger estate. In an interview in 1978, Mr. Dahlinger said he wrote the book to put his parents "back into history."

Most Ford biographies include brief references to Raymond Dahlinger as
    the manager of the Ford Farms. One Ford family biographer, David Lewis, named Evangeline Dahlinger as one of the 10 people who had the most influence on the Fords.

Mr. Dahlinger never worked for Ford Motor Co. He had been a pilot in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was a professional race car driver for several years. In 1959 he bought Cliff Bell's, a popular downtown Detroit supper club. He and his second wife, Elizabeth, operated the Act IV nightclub on W. Grand Blvd. in Detroit for five years until 1969.

Mr. Dahlinger had one son, John, 28, from his first marriage.
    Last edited by RaumVogel; March-22-10 at 12:52 PM.

Okay, I got a photobucket account and uploaded some photos. Hope this works: http://s1036.photobucket.com/albums/...stery%20House/

LDoolan Guest

Okay, I got a photobucket account and uploaded some photos. Hope this works: http://s1036.photobucket.com/albums/...stery%20House/

Thanks for putting these up! If you have any more I'd like to see them.....

Cool pictures. Hard to believe they have just left everything lying about over there? Someone must own it?

once upon a time, ForgottenMichigan.com had pictures posted from this place, as well as a discussion thread talking about much of the same information. IIRC there was some more info there that hasnt been mentioned here yet

i think the pictures may've been taken down to reduce the number of people going out there & snooping around

LDoolan Guest

I dug thru my files and will put some hopefully new information here...

River Oaks School is on former Dahlinger property. Evangeline sold the property to the school board after the SB approached her about some land for a school.
    The Subdivision in front of the house was the result of some property being sold to help pay back taxes.
    About John Dahlinger and a prior post quote from Amazon. John did in fact work for Ford Motor Co. at the same time he was attending Greenfield Village Schools. He worked on the test track in the mid 1930s.
    Ray Dahlinger started with Ford in the early days as a driver- running new cars off the assembly line. He was also the 'bag man' on HF's Peace Ship, guarding the gold and also serving as HF's bodyguard.
    It's said that HF arranged the marriage between Evangeline and Ray, whether or not that's true is up for discussion, but HF has a history of playing matchmaker.
    Not to long ago, there was a 1930s ear Ford race car that was owned by John Dahlinger that came up for auction. Story has it the race car sat in a Detroit garage for years and someone ran across it that knew what it was and bought it, restored it to the original colors of the Cote Motor Co.

The Hispanio Suiza Flying boat that was on display at the Henry Ford Museum is/was Evangeline Dahlinger's.. a gift from Henry Ford. Not sure if it's still on display now.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    once upon a time, ForgottenMichigan.com had pictures posted from this place, as well as a discussion thread talking about much of the same information. IIRC there was some more info there that hasnt been mentioned here yet

i think the pictures may've been taken down to reduce the number of people going out there & snooping around
    I believe it. That site is where I got the idea to go...

A while back my Uncle told me he was friends with a kid in high school who lived in that area, Said that his friend had horses. I would have never had known that if he hadn't told me. As for this estate I was in the dark about it.
    I have known that the Ford honeymoon house was behind the GC K Mart, Nankin Mills and the rest but I am glad I know more bout this "secret" in the Ford history.

LDoolan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    A while back my Uncle told me he was friends with a kid in high school who lived in that area, Said that his friend had horses. I would have never had known that if he hadn't told me. As for this estate I was in the dark about it.
    I have known that the Ford honeymoon house was behind the GC K Mart, Nankin Mills and the rest but I am glad I know more bout this "secret" in the Ford history.
    You talking about the "Square House"? Far as I know it's still standing, Ford gave it to an employee, Robert Smith who moved it from the original location in 1952.

A man works hard for his junk!

clyder!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    Here's a shot of the race track with the stable in the background.
    Is that Evangeline in this picture?

Thanks for posting these. When were they taken?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Thanks for posting these. When were they taken?
    I believe they were taken in Feb. of 2006. [[I also added other Detroit-related albums/pics for everyone to enjoy.)

Which one?

LDoolan Guest

Yep, That's Evangeline... I can post some more photos this evening when I get home from work.

I believe they were taken in Feb. of 2006. [[I also added other Detroit-related albums/pics for everyone to enjoy.)
    Thanks for the info. Were these in the basement, garage, shed? Sorry for not asking before.

Thanks for the info. Were these in the basement, garage, shed? Sorry for not asking before.
    From what I can figure out, the burned structure was the caretaker's cottage [[info from post #49). Most of the pics are from what appeared to be a greenhouse with an attached workshop and basement. The structure with the collapsed roof was a 6 car garage. There are also the ruins of a boathouse in the area, but we didn't look for it.

The property assessment site claims the carport is 3,000 sq ft.

Hello Lowell and MikeM,

How goes it?

Hopefully you gents recall me from the Grosse Pointe Track thread?

I'm going to be making some comments and adding some references across multiple submissions.

I request that folks read what I've provided carefully and then I'll be glad to deviate and answer what ever questions I'm able.

A good place to begin is this previous announcement I placed on another forum regarding Ray Dahlinger

http://www.barntowire.com/smf/index.php?topic=20189.0

Don
    Last edited by wilderness; March-24-10 at 12:25 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast