Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Requiem for Detroit. Right now on BBC2.

Damn shame I tuned in during the program and missed the first half. Right now there's a documentary playing on BBC2.

BBC2 link.

Julien Temple's new film is a vivid evocation of an apocalyptic vision: a slow-motion Katrina that has had many more victims. Detroit was once America's fourth largest city.
    Built by the car for the car, with its groundbreaking suburbs, freeways and shopping centres, it was the embodiment of the American dream.
    But its intense race riots brought the army into the city. With violent union struggles against the fierce resistance of Henry Ford and the Big Three, it was also the scene of American nightmares.
    Now it is truly a dystopic post-industrial city, in which 40 per cent of the land in the centre is returning to prairie. Greenery grows up through abandoned office blocks, houses and collapsing car plants, and swallows up street lights.

They also shot some scenes in the United Artists theater! Using projectors tp show scenes of Detroit. First movie footage showing in that theater for ages! Pity there was no audience....

I recorded it with my handycam, there was no other way at the moment. I recorded the bit in which the UA is featured. That last sentence was telling.

Youtube link.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; March-13-10 at 04:56 PM.