Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Old car factories revisited

Hi all.
    I am trying to research a couple of Forge foundries that I think forged components for Harley Davidson in the 1930's, 40's, 50's, and 60's.
    One of the foundries that I am researching had a foundrymark of DIF.
    I started researching the Detroit area because I supposed that the D in the Hallmark might have denoted Detroit.
    I know that Harley forged some of thier own small components but think that they subbed out the larger parts.
    I reasoned that they would use Detroit because of the large infrastucture of the car industry, already set up.

Another foundry has a foundrymark / Hallmark of MF which may have been Michigan .... but I am only guessing there.

I was reading an old thread "Old Car Factories" and a member "Livernoisyard" may know a cruicial part of the information that I am trying to clarify. If anyone is in contact with this member can thay let them know I would like to talk to them.
    Any help or ideas is appreciated.
    Regards Steve Little
    Australia

Sounds like you should get in touch with the Automotive History Department at the Detroit Public Library's main branch:

Contact Information
    Skillman Branch Library121 Gratiot Ave., Detroit, MI 48226
    Phone: [[313) 628-2851
    Fax: [[313) 962-1222

Hours: Monday - Saturday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
    Coordinator for Special Collections: John Gibson
    E-mail:
    nahc@detroitpubliclibrary.org

Livernoisyard
    Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 127
    Posted From: 69.242.223.42
    Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:56 am: That de Soto was probably the former MacGraw Glass plant. I forgot what they made during WWII before doing de Sotos in 1947 or so.

.I have a relative on my father's side who was the chief tool-and-die maker and head of the stamping plant during his 50+-year tenure at Harley-Davidson in my hometown. HD started the war building a 1942 motorcycle with a shaft-drive [[chainless). The Jeeps put that model out of business, and HD made propellors for the rest of WWII

Hi Country Squire

I have copied and pasted the above post from the old Detroit forum.
    I would like to talk to this person if they are still on the forum as this is right in line with the information I am trying to verify.
    Regards Steve

Livernoisyard grew up in Milwaukee, hence the reference to his relative working at H-D.

I could be wrong, but I doubt any Harley forgings were made in Detroit when the Milwaukee-Chicago area had plenty of shops that could do the same work.

Hi Mike.
    Thanks for your post.
    Is Livernoisyard still connected to the forum. I dont know how to use this forum to send a personal message, but would like to contact him. His post "that I attached" is from the old site. It is very close to the information I am trying to research.
    Regards Steve

I don't think he is here any longer, or if he is, he is posting under a different name. You could try contacting the moderators of the forum; they might be able to forward a message to him.